Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

People with Disabilities?

shava
02.06.2013 , 10:06 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by vadess View Post
Wow. I always assumed people with epilepsy avoided video games because the changes in light and fast movement can cause seizures. Nice to see that in some ways some games do help. Glad to see you on SWTOR .
Actually, there are tests for common seizure triggers that most video games get tested against -- particular rhythms of flashing lights, particularly red or yellow tones, that are common triggers. But this is one of those half-truths, like the notion that people with migraines can't drink coffee -- if caffeine is a trigger, no you can't -- but if caffeine isn't a migraine trigger, it's actually therapeutic to a lot of migraine sufferers as a remedy for migraine pain.

Similarly, immersion in a videogame environment for people with seizure conditions or with chronic pain can actually regularize either chaotic brain activity (similar to meditation) for the seizure folks or ameliorate the pain by distraction or other mechanisms.

Virtual world "games for health" have even been specifically created to help kids with severe burns play in arctic environments (hey, just send 'em to Hoth!) because the effect of imagining being in a frigid environment actually keeps their bodies more comfortable and less reactive to the extreme trauma from major burn damage.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...rom_pain_.html

This kind of research is just staggeringly wonderful. But it's amazing how easily "video games make kids violent" will get major press, but a story like this barely gets legs in mainstream media.
===
/* formerly Ashtara, the only female trandoshan (TKM/scout/sword) on Chilastra */

fotwennytime
02.24.2013 , 01:11 PM | #42
i'm glad to have found this thread. my disability doesnt have any physical limitations, but i'm extremely anti-social. 20 years ago i was diagnosed bi-polar and even though i studied everything i could find out about it, i never realized that i would be this limited. i might leave the house twice a month, any more than that and i become angry, aggressive and generally unpleasant to be around. while i have no trouble being a ******** in gen chat, anything that involves asking for help, is very difficult for me. i avoid groups and have spent millions of credits to make my own light and dark side guilds just so i dont have to talk to people who invite me.

its hard to explain to people who dont live with compulsions. the bi-polar tends to make me gravitate to extremes. i cant have just 1 toon, i have to have every class and subclass possible. i cant just go out and level, i have to level every toon 1 level at a time and plan out every step i can possibly forsee. i spend roughly 2 weeks crafting to every 3 days leveling, because every toon has to be in every purple i can craft for that level. while it keeps me busy, small things throw me off. if i find out one of my crafters is missing a schematic, i cant do anything with any of my other character, until i have that schematic.

i know this is gonna sound like a bunch of whining to people who dont understand compulsions. i know my case isnt as severe as a bunch of other peoples. i feel for you guys, i really do. it's just nice to know that i'm not the only one that uses the game as an outlet for something therapeutic. the sense of control is both comforting and entertaining.

vadess
02.24.2013 , 01:53 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by shava View Post
This kind of research is just staggeringly wonderful. But it's amazing how easily "video games make kids violent" will get major press, but a story like this barely gets legs in mainstream media.
I read the article! It reminds me of a blog article I wrote about how SWTOR has helped me manage my aspergers and cope with it better, and socialize better. I think those articles don't get mainstream attention because they don't attract viewers. I think viewers need to re-evaluate what they like to view!
Forum Posts Pro-SGR in SWTOR
Companion SGR: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=634157
Same Gender Romance Discussion: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=590526

LanaRyra
03.23.2013 , 09:19 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by SelinaK View Post
Oh my god *hughughug* Utterly good luck to you

Just looking in on this thread out of curiousity but had to say that...

Also, I was thinking, what you speak about, it reminds me of this:

on-line gaming are changing people's view of who they are and their place in the world, according to a report for the government's chief scientist, BBC News, 2013-01-21

I read these books when I was little cos like you I tended to read and write a lot more than most people my age

wikipedia.org/wiki/The Ship Who Sang and along with that BBC article, it makes me think the future might be one where disabled people will have more of an equaliser to life when so much is in the ethereal.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Donna_Haraway#.22A_Cyborg_Manifesto.22
cyberpunk est mort, vive cyberpunk
Oh, I never saw this. Thank you for the hugs c:
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Estimated 16.7million people dealing with serious mental illness in the US alone each year. Estimated 400,000+ people subscribed to this game.
Guess some overlap was bound to happen eventually

conscioushours
03.24.2013 , 07:55 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by fotwennytime View Post
i'm glad to have found this thread. my disability doesnt have any physical limitations, but i'm extremely anti-social. 20 years ago i was diagnosed bi-polar and even though i studied everything i could find out about it, i never realized that i would be this limited. i might leave the house twice a month, any more than that and i become angry, aggressive and generally unpleasant to be around. while i have no trouble being a ******** in gen chat, anything that involves asking for help, is very difficult for me. i avoid groups and have spent millions of credits to make my own light and dark side guilds just so i dont have to talk to people who invite me.

its hard to explain to people who dont live with compulsions. the bi-polar tends to make me gravitate to extremes. i cant have just 1 toon, i have to have every class and subclass possible. i cant just go out and level, i have to level every toon 1 level at a time and plan out every step i can possibly forsee. i spend roughly 2 weeks crafting to every 3 days leveling, because every toon has to be in every purple i can craft for that level. while it keeps me busy, small things throw me off. if i find out one of my crafters is missing a schematic, i cant do anything with any of my other character, until i have that schematic.

i know this is gonna sound like a bunch of whining to people who dont understand compulsions. i know my case isnt as severe as a bunch of other peoples. i feel for you guys, i really do. it's just nice to know that i'm not the only one that uses the game as an outlet for something therapeutic. the sense of control is both comforting and entertaining.
I understand your feelings, especially about using the game for something therapeutic, and can relate to most of it. I've been anti-social for as long as I can remember and I've always enjoyed solitude. I'm turning 20 soon and was first diagnozed with mild depression 10 years ago. I now understand it was mostly caused by my anti-social nature; too much socializing in a short time completely wore me out and it was impossible to avoid at school. I felt like I wasn't able to spend enough time on my own. I was too young to understand it and all of those feelings made me feel confused.

I've been playing MMOs for a bit over 1,5 years now and definitely feel that they've helped me stay more balanced. Sometimes I have "normal" days when I feel like grouping up and it goes just fine. I try to avoid pugs though, mainly because of so many negative experiences (I'm a very sensitive person and one simple insult can make me feel extremely bad -- last year a chain of negative incidents actually made me unsub for almost 3 months). I'm in a wonderful, quite small guild and I've got to know almost everyone there. They're all friendly and don't try to force you into group content if you don't want to.

But mostly I still play alone, especially when leveling a new character and completing the basic landscape and class quests. I always start to feel uneasy if there's someone with me and it usually makes me tell them I have to go and log out, I know it sounds rude but I can't help it. In this game I also have the need for alts and different crafting professions.

I don't have any physical disabilities (except for occasional migraine but I've learned to avoid it) so I know this definitely isn't as bad as so many others' in here. It's so nice to hear people finding enjoyment in gaming despite their disabilities and pain, either physical or mental.

Lastly, I just remembered about a similar thread on the LOTRO forums and there's a post that specially struck me when I read it and I just wanted to share it.
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...71#post6405271
Heliost Clan - a Star Wars blog
Qin'an Ro'ya
The Progenitor

Crohadan
03.26.2013 , 04:04 AM | #46
hey folks.

An OIF vet here, and like many I have acute PTSD with a TBI as well as a severely torn up knee from my service. Makes my social life about as entertaining as a wet mop. Nothing like walking into a bar, always having to view the door, and checking your cane with the bouncer...at the ripe old age of 34.

Cacti4-6

Senior Staff
Militarygamers.com
Militarygamers.com, serving those that came before us, served with us, and will come after us. Find out more at http://www.militarygamers.com
This is protocol droid sw-01 thank your for your bug report, expect no response from us because we really dont care. /ticket_closed

SuperPhibrizzo
03.29.2013 , 12:07 PM | #47
Hello, first time replying to the forums. Not sure my disability counts cause I usually don't have a problem with it. Anyway, I have a learning disability where I progress information more slowly then a normal brain so sometimes its hard for me to take in too much information at once and also to let out information as well takes a while for me to think of something to type/write or even talk to people. But I learn ways around it that I don't have much of a problem with it, that I seem like I don't have one most of the time. If that makes sense lol.

jediharrsion
03.29.2013 , 12:41 PM | #48
Hello everyone i'm glad to see a thread where I can relate to everyone. I have ADD and a mild case of OCD. I find it hard to concentrate on a lot of things.(FYI I play a Sage healer so i guess that a funny fact) But playing swtor is so relaxing for me.

xlenon
04.02.2013 , 05:14 PM | #49
I have extreme depression, I've had it for a long time even when I was a really young teenager (I'm almost 20 now), I'm new to this game and I'm a subscriber, I really enjoy playing SWTOR the depression goes away every time I play it.

I can't thank the Bioware team enough for creating something that not only I enjoy but improves my mental health.

Squirrelflight
04.15.2013 , 05:13 PM | #50
i have severe depression,PTSD,schizoaffective disorder and OCD. i also have heart problems(i am 35 and have had 3 heart attacks),and bone marrow failure.