Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Big problem with space combat

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Big problem with space combat

ducho
02.06.2013 , 01:33 PM | #1
Hello!
Im new player, lvl 27 for now and im in a big trouble...
Im trying to do some space fights, however my laser gun doesnt even scratch enemy ships
I can kill em only with rockets, so here's my question
Is my laser too weak? Or my graph card is too bad for space fighting? :P Im locking on a enemy fighter all route he flies and nothing happens

Please help!

Ridickilis
02.06.2013 , 01:39 PM | #2
You have to gear your ship out as you would your toon or companions. I'm sure there are other vendors, but you can purchase starship upgrades on the fleet in the galactic trade area (opposite where the GTN terminal are). You can also find some nice ship upgrades on the GTN as well.

ducho
02.06.2013 , 01:46 PM | #3
Thank you for fast response, however I've already equipped my ship with beam generator and part that gives me 7 shots a sec (or something like that). Still cant shoot down enemy fighter, my laser gun is still useless

Fubarq
02.06.2013 , 02:25 PM | #4
Which mission are you doing? The missions actually have levels. If you are doing a mission which is several levels above you (which can happen occasionally), it can be significantly harder to take down enemy fighters. Maybe try this mission again after you level up once (or even twice). I've found that can make a huge difference. Also, check that vendor and make sure you have all of the upgrades that you can get at your level. There are a couple that affect your blaster.

zejaie
02.06.2013 , 02:29 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ducho View Post
Hello!
Im new player, lvl 27 for now and im in a big trouble...
Im trying to do some space fights, however my laser gun doesnt even scratch enemy ships
I can kill em only with rockets, so here's my question
Is my laser too weak? Or my graph card is too bad for space fighting? :P Im locking on a enemy fighter all route he flies and nothing happens

Please help!
The real problem with space combat is that it sucks! They should change space combat so that it is closer to star trek online.
-What should I mentally prepare for as a new healer?
People thinking that you heal them out in spite of any **** they do!

psandak
02.06.2013 , 03:17 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by zejaie View Post
The real problem with space combat is that it sucks! They should change space combat so that it is closer to star trek online.
Not the place for this debate.

Obviously the player wants to do the space combat as is. If you cannot help him then please move on.

Getting back on topic, as Fubarq said, sometimes the level of the mission, while strictly speaking doable by your level, is just beyond your level. Also I believe by the level you are at you could have acquired the ship upgrade that gives you the option of either having more powerful weapons or faster shield regen. This is an upgrade you have to actively switch. if you use your weapons while it is set to regen shields, your lasers will do almost no damage. So when you are firing your lasers you have to have it on more powerful lasers. The only time you should have it on shield regen is when you are not firing your lasers.

Fubarq
02.06.2013 , 03:50 PM | #7
You mean the Power Conversion module. Not sure if he can get that yet, but OP if you can you definitely SHOULD. It's a great upgrade that is critical for completing missions as you get to the higher levels. If you have that module, you can switch to offensive mode, which will increase the power of your blasters, thus enabling to do more damage on those fighters.

psandak
02.06.2013 , 04:36 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Fubarq View Post
You mean the Power Conversion module. Not sure if he can get that yet, but OP if you can you definitely SHOULD. It's a great upgrade that is critical for completing missions as you get to the higher levels. If you have that module, you can switch to offensive mode, which will increase the power of your blasters, thus enabling to do more damage on those fighters.
Thank you, the name of it escaped me

MikeTheDuke
02.06.2013 , 04:47 PM | #9
Perform the lowest space combat missions in the Fleet mission console in your ship. The lower ones will be done without a geared ship. These will still give you fleet comms which then enable you to slow upgrade your ship to do better and better in combat until you start using the custom made and Grade 7 quality gear.
I post about Star Wars on my blog. Check it out
http://xnagamedeveloper.wordpress.co...ory/star-wars/
MikeDodgers @YouTube

Khevar
02.06.2013 , 06:21 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeTheDuke View Post
Perform the lowest space combat missions in the Fleet mission console in your ship. The lower ones will be done without a geared ship. These will still give you fleet comms which then enable you to slow upgrade your ship to do better and better in combat until you start using the custom made and Grade 7 quality gear.
I'm pretty sure that the only ship upgrades you can get with fleet comms are the Power Conversion Module (level 25), Electronic Warfare Pod (level 35), EMP Generator (level 45) and Proton Torpedos (level 50)

There are actually 42 other ship upgrades that can be bought for credits at the vendor and the gtn.