Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any advice for a new healer?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Any advice for a new healer?

dark_wolf
02.01.2013 , 02:21 PM | #1
I just took up healing for flashpoints because I got sick of the long wait times as DPS. The only FP I've done is Cadimnu and I seem to do okay, except for drawing aggro. I"m worried i'm healing too much and drawing threat. When should I begin healing someone? I usually heal the tank as soon as he takes damage, but I think that may be my problem. Any advice?

Fireswraith
02.01.2013 , 08:58 PM | #2
Put your bubble on your tank soon as he starts taking damage, then cast your HoT on him, then use, bah what is it, the 2nd heal you get in the tree where you shoot purple stuff from your hands to your target. Keep that up and use your big Infusion heal for when he gets below maybe 80%.

ahduth
02.02.2013 , 10:58 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by dark_wolf View Post
I just took up healing for flashpoints because I got sick of the long wait times as DPS. The only FP I've done is Cadimnu and I seem to do okay, except for drawing aggro. I"m worried i'm healing too much and drawing threat. When should I begin healing someone? I usually heal the tank as soon as he takes damage, but I think that may be my problem. Any advice?
Okay, so this is not, and can not, be your fault. If you're healing "too much," that means the rest of the party is taking "too much" damage - the tank is undergeared, the dps is crappy so stuff isn't dying fast enough, the tank is not holding threat (causing you or the dps to take damage), people are standing the fire, or any combination of the above. The alternative to healing "too much" is to allow people to die, and that's (usually) in no one's best interest.

Some basic stuff - are you spec'd 3/3 into Lucidity? Is the tank guarding you? Is the party stopping between pulls to heal up, so you're not generating threat by healing that damage while in combat? Have you told the tank you're pulling aggro, and that it's making you a sad sorcerer?

Once you've covered all this stuff, it's time to start yelling at people and/or vote-kicking them.
  • Some tanks think it's all rockstar to try to tank in their DPS gear. Yell at them, then mock them for being bad, then vote kick them.
  • Some tanks seem to think their role is to go all loony toons and pull as much crap as possible, as fast as possible. Yell at them, then mock them for being bad, then vote kick them.
  • Some DPS think either a) it's cool to pull tons of stuff before the tank or b) don't actually know how make stuff die. Yell at them, then mock them for being bad, then vote kick them.

What I'm generally trying to get across here is that, as the healer, you are virtually always right. Unless you hopped in a pool of acid or went about aggro'ing stuff for kicks, you can't be faulted for healing people. That's your job. You're right to be aware of when you want to start healing, in order to give the tank as big a lead as possible, but ultimately you need to start healing only as fast as they start taking damage. It's the tanks job to protect you - you just need to make sure people stay alive.

ChroniKill
02.02.2013 , 06:48 PM | #4
I've not run any endgame FPs (highest I've done is Directive 7) but I usually make sure everybody is bubbled up and keep the HoT on the tank. That usually keeps him well enough so that I only sometimes need to throw an innervate on every now and again.

Boss battles are obviously another matter and you need to make sure that the party is aware of the fire/acid/goo/grappling hook etc, else you will end up struggling to keep up on everyone. Also, yell if you see adds. The tank is often focused on the boss, which will probably take up a lot of his screen so may not see adds when they appear if you're unlucky.

That being said, if the tank truly is terribad and keeps rushing into fights with half health and when you're about 15 seconds behind because you stopped to regen force after the last fight then goes and complains that you're not healing enough, politely tell him to stop being an idiot, then kick him.

Washingtoon
02.02.2013 , 06:56 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Fireswraith View Post
....the 2nd heal you get in the tree where you shoot purple stuff from your hands to your target.
It's called Innervate for sorcs and Healing Trance for sages. It's 18-20 points up the tree. No point in going higher for PvP healers and few are the times when the AOE heal is really useful for PvE healers.

bbare
02.03.2013 , 07:14 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Washingtoon View Post
It's called Innervate for sorcs and Healing Trance for sages. It's 18-20 points up the tree. No point in going higher for PvP healers and few are the times when the AOE heal is really useful for PvE healers.
No, for pve that aoe heal is one of your most important heals.

1. It becomes invaluable if you have even 2 or even 1 melee.

2. You can plop it on ranged dps and stand in it yourself. In times when you need to use consumption, standing in your own purple circle of healing is the best scenario.
The Vanity Legacy

Bobiefatt
02.03.2013 , 12:03 PM | #7
It's 18-20 points up the tree. No point in going higher for PvP healers and few are the times when the AOE heal is really useful for PvE healers.
LOL ....
Do that which you fear most, and you will find
the courage which you seek

Brittaany_Banks
02.03.2013 , 12:10 PM | #8
I'm guessing you either do not play a sage/sorc healer, or you are a really BAD sage/sorc healer
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?

Morngwath
02.04.2013 , 10:11 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
I'm guessing you either do not play a sage/sorc healer, or you are a really BAD sage/sorc healer
And I'm guessing you love to overheal and look at your 3k+ hps in MOXParser. Truth is, The AoE Heal is only helpful in a couple of boss fights (If you have 3+ persons taking constant damage). And you can well do without it. Try it!
Morngwath (DD-Hexer) - Rhona (Heal-Sabo) - Olathira (DD-Söldner)

Satedbuffalo
02.04.2013 , 01:31 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Morngwath View Post
And I'm guessing you love to overheal and look at your 3k+ hps in MOXParser. Truth is, The AoE Heal is only helpful in a couple of boss fights (If you have 3+ persons taking constant damage). And you can well do without it. Try it!
Ayup.

Then again, it's not like there's much better to spend the points on. But definitely try using your AoE only when it's necessary: you'll experience a huge increase in your eHPS and force/eHPS.