Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Experiences of being a Sniper in pvp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Experiences of being a Sniper in pvp

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
02.01.2013 , 10:43 PM | #21
I'm really happy that this has generated some discussion. I would just like to add that I know some classes perform better than others or certain specs for that matter. I also know that there is balancing issues as well. I just feel like another poster stated that the Sniper seems to have a good mixture of surviveability and offense and hopefully as I learn the class more I can become a good asset in the 50 bracket

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBabyEater View Post
I was having the time of my life as a marksman sniper in 1-49 but when I got up to 50 I got my *** handed to me more times than I'd like to admit even with full WH gear, I was close to putting my sniper on the shelf when I desided to try engineering and wow what a difference.

All of the sudden I could tank shadows and vanguards, play a major roll in my team by puting down AOE so they can't take the node (one time in voidstar me and a sorc healer kept them from crossing the bridge for over 2 min because they could not click that terminal or kill me or the healer) and destroy ppl before they get to me.
Engineering you say? What makes that spec better if may ask? Because like you i'm also having a blast pre 50 in Marksmanship but I would be willing to change if I was given some examples but glad you enjoying as well,
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

TheBabyEater's Avatar


TheBabyEater
02.02.2013 , 09:22 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
Engineering you say? What makes that spec better if may ask? Because like you i'm also having a blast pre 50 in Marksmanship but I would be willing to change if I was given some examples but glad you enjoying as well,
Marksman is better for straight up single target damage but since it's mostly white damage that can be dodged, parried or shielded I felt that I lost alot of damage once I started fighting the well geared 50s.

Engineering on the other hand is more AOE and elemental damage which ignore armor, you get 6% more in damage reduction, alot of CC and with a good healer backing you up it's impossible for the opposit team to take a node when you're in range.

Daxy's Avatar


Daxy
02.02.2013 , 02:05 PM | #23
marksman can put up awesome numbers but i feel squishy and have energy problems at times

my engineer has much trouble hitting the damage numbers my mm sniper does (unless for some reason the enemy team decides to have a picnic in my orbital strike) but does much more to cement victories in pugged wz's

when i play my marksman i definitely lay down the pew pew but i am constantly hoping my teammates will be up to stopping the cappers as i usually am positioning away from the heat of battle

the engineer is a solid node defender, node denier, and can put out an awesome burst every 30 seconds if you pick the right target, and can even get you some healing medals

marksman is awesome for lowbies and will have many inexperienced level 40-summin's scratching their heads as to why they just had their hats handed to them by a level 20 scrub

Khalhazar's Avatar


Khalhazar
02.02.2013 , 02:51 PM | #24
I don't have a level 50 sniper, but I run with one almost constantly. So far nobody has mentioned how incredible snipers are in huttball. Yes, of course, they are great at controlling mid. But they are also excellent leap beacons and pass targets. With a 20sec CC immunity, you're an incredible beacon for leaping the ball past both fires. People think snipers are "immobile" or "turrets", but nothing could be further from the truth.

Be aware that you can be knocked out of cover from a distance and become a leap beacon for the _other_ team, of course. Even a tank jugg can knock you out with a grenade.
Semah Valerian <Some Sith and a Spy> | Juggernaut | Begeren Colony

Zunayson's Avatar


Zunayson
02.02.2013 , 03:04 PM | #25
Engineer's really nice because it takes 1 ability and makes it boss, sort of like pyrotech. Explosive probe gets:

15% dmg increase
Drops 4 cluster bombs, each one is additional damage,
each one is 5 energy when detonated, for a net gain / loss of 0 energy
Free on cooldown (So a net gain of 20 energy w/ cluster bombs)

What makes engineer outshine on sniper is it's survivability:

4% endurance
6% heal with adren probe
+30% to shield probe
This one move resets CD on shield probe AND adren probe cooldown 1 min
6% DMG reduction in cover (Bugged? Doesn't show on character sheet)
30 seconds of ballistic shield
I personally still grab ballistic dampeners, no other talents worth taking imo, so 30% DR for first 3 attacks 1.5sec internal CD.

It's insane AoE damage is the BEST. In. The. Game. Better than smash, though it's sustained, not burst:
All aoe moves get 15% dmg
All aoe moves get 30% Surge bonus
Frag grenade = 3 sec cd
Plasma probe = 18 seconds worth of 3-4k elemental damage to 5 people over 18 seconds, most of it is done in the first 3 seconds. The first three seconds has a 50% snare, and if it hits a target affected by your DoT, that target is stunned for 2 seconds. This stun is a 2 second stun every 18 seconds, and from 30m. It is the ONLY way in the game curently to STUN a target 30m away. The other way to disable a target is with ofc Flashbang, though that's not exclusive to Eng.

Explosive probe's 15% increase + cluster bombs is an extra 2k-3k worth of damage on that, it's burst of that + ambush + series of shots = dead anyone but tank. Once your probes are off cd, you're damage is worse than MM, so I prefer to go MM for dailies since I have no end to my damage.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box