Another way to look at Resolve

TalonKorr

I play a 28k health PvP Tank Guardian, and a 19.5k health Combat Sentinel. Two archetypes that are at the extremes in survivability. What I've noticed is this.

On my Guardian I have the luxury of sitting around and waiting for a "whitebar" to kick in. My Hitpoints, Defense, Mitigation and Cooldowns will allow me to get fully whitebar'd before dying. In addition, Tank Guardians are suppose to save their breaks for emergency situations as it stands. So, no problems here.

On my Sentinel however, I have nowhere near that luxury. The ideal time to use a stun break is when one becomes freshly whitebar'd, it makes the most sense. In practice though, getting whitebar'd never/rarely happens before I'm killed.

In effect, the current resolve system has removed the stun break from my sentinel. If I use the stun break early, I'm just CC'd again, if I wait till I'm whitebar'd, I'm probably already dead. I can think of no better illustration of a broken system.

Thanks for reading, just offering to put a constantly mentioned problem into a different perspective.

Yes Resolve is amazing at preventing more chain stuns while it tick down as I'm in the respawn area waiting for the Voidstar barrier to go down allowing me to go back into battle with no resolve and fully vulnerable again... Unless you're a tank or have sold healers backing you its not gonna help.

Its almost backwards, it helps those that need it least the most and those that need it the most least. Tanks should be able to (and can) absorb damage long enough to survive chain stuns and thus rely on resolve less, and healers/dps (except maybe maras/sents) can barley survive 1-2 stuns and thus need resolve most yet benefit least from it (as they die before resolve fills).

Edited by Athena-Nike

I play a 28k health PvP Tank Guardian, and a 19.5k health Combat Sentinel. Two archetypes that are at the extremes in survivability. What I've noticed is this.

On my Guardian I have the luxury of sitting around and waiting for a "whitebar" to kick in. My Hitpoints, Defense, Mitigation and Cooldowns will allow me to get fully whitebar'd before dying. In addition, Tank Guardians are suppose to save their breaks for emergency situations as it stands. So, no problems here.

On my Sentinel however, I have nowhere near that luxury. The ideal time to use a stun break is when one becomes freshly whitebar'd, it makes the most sense. In practice though, getting whitebar'd never/rarely happens before I'm killed.

In effect, the current resolve system has removed the stun break from my sentinel. If I use the stun break early, I'm just CC'd again, if I wait till I'm whitebar'd, I'm probably already dead. I can think of no better illustration of a broken system.

Thanks for reading, just offering to put a constantly mentioned problem into a different perspective.

If you are a smash monkey you deserved that.

If you are a smash monkey you deserved that.

Thank you for carefully reading my post where I mentioned PvP Tank Guardian and Combat Sentinel.

My point is, for the majority of people, the two minute stun break ability might as well not exist because there is never going to be an optimal time to use it.

Show me on the doll where the smash touched you.

Disclaimer: I agree with the Original Thread author 100%.

If everyone is touching you in the bad places, you may want to put on some clothes. Or stand on a different corner or something.

Thank you for carefully reading my post where I mentioned PvP Tank Guardian and Combat Sentinel.

My point is, for the majority of people, the two minute stun break ability might as well not exist because there is never going to be an optimal time to use it.

LOL the smashmonkey comment was rather random.

I will say it was frustrating before the change to CC someone and have someone immediately follow it with another CC and fill the resolve, but that is what happens when you are grouped up with 7 random people and everyone had probably done this. However, now since the change you can spend a good amount of time CC'ed when facing a good team that knows what they are doing. I thought resolve worked quite well before the change, not perfect sure but well. Resolve in theory is working correctly but the mechanics of it now feels completely broken.

What if the Stun Remover could fill the resolve bar when used? That would solve a lot.

Your stun break skill could fill up your resolve and remove any CC currently on you. However, resolve needs to be changed so that it no longer prevents immunity to physics effects (knockbacks, pulls, etc), so as to allow Huttball to be played in a sensible manner.

Your stun break skill could fill up your resolve and remove any CC currently on you. However, resolve needs to be changed so that it no longer prevents immunity to physics effects (knockbacks, pulls, etc), so as to allow Huttball to be played in a sensible manner.

Terrible idea. If your team fills the resolve bar before the first fire so and all you can do is watch what comes next you deserve to get scored on. The change to the resolve was pretty much directed towards casual pugs we really don't need something like this.

There is no sensible manner in which to play hutball. It is a 3/4 class wz. Put a 4th level in, and it would be competitive.

probably just a typo, but I think you mean so that it no longer provides immunity to kb's/pulls. and I thoroughly disagree. it does provide immunity and it should. else there would be 3x as many fire deaths. and anyone other than a guardian would be much less likely to move the ball. guardians have enough advantages in there. tyvm.

Edited by foxmob

I mostly agree with the OP, except that if he thinks a Jugg tank and any sort of sentinel are on the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum survivability wise, I was just wondering how many classes he thinks are in the game? 3? 4, maybe?

Play a Sorcerer and then tell me how squishy your combat sentinel is.

But I do agree with the point he was trying to make. On my Sorcerer the only reason i even know resolve exists is when i give somebody their whitebar with my stupid whirlwind. I don't think my Sorc has ever whitebar'd before. Usually once people notice he exists, they sneeze at me and I wake up in the respawn area

OK. I don't want to insult anybody but how can a person to come to the forum and make a post saying that this endless stun, stun, stun and more stun in PvP is ok, if i look it from another way. What way? How is it ok? I get stunned every 3 sec and 9 out of 10 i die perma stunned. How is it normal? How bad you have to be in PvP, to say this is how it should be. Because behind all these mambo-jumbo there is one thing the PvP rejects cant survive in a fluid PvP environment. Bind your keys, get a gaming PC with a good videocard, a gaming keyboard and L2P and you wont need permestun to hit your enemies. PvP suppose to be fun not frustration.

To be fair... It's not fair to say a combat sentinel and a tank guardian are on opposite sides of the spectrum. While the sentinel may be les survivable than your tank guardian there are much squishier classes than a combat sentinel. Vanguard comes to mind. This a giant overcriticism but I have drank too much to even comment :p overall this is a great post, personally I think resolve needs to be reverted. Punishing double stuns only caused me an issue in huttball, and even then not in competitive games. I don't think bioware shoul balance this game around unranked warzones, and that is what bioware seems to be doing.

OK. I don't want to insult anybody but how can a person to come to the forum and make a post saying that this endless stun, stun, stun and more stun in PvP is ok, if i look it from another way.

Thank you for carefully reading my post. What part of it said that being stunned constantly was OK? Since I've got three toons with valor rank 91 and above, I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

Once again, I'll reiterate for the illiterate. In its current state, there is no point for the majority of classes to have a stun break ability. The majority of the classes (gear aside) will never achieve a whitebar before they are already killed. And since CC's are spammed with abandon, breaking early is just volunteering to be stunned again. As I said in my first post:

I can think of no better illustration of a broken system.

For everybody else who posted, I realize sentinels probably don't qualify for the most squishiest of classes, however since by the time I firstly regain control of my toon is around %50 life on average, they seem pretty squishy when compared to my main with 28.3k life and built to take PvP hits.

Thanks for all the positive responses, I wanted to illuminate that when CC has become so overpowered that it's "break" ability is obsolete, there is no clearer definition of a broken system.

Edited by TalonKorr

There have actually been many iterations of similar solutions throughout MMO pvp.

I mean World of Warcraft had a much more lax diminishing return system that was class based, which in practice could allow you to CC targets for 10-15 seconds at a time on consistent reoccuring basis. While annoying, and often complained about, it wasn't a huge gamebreaking problem for two reasons.

One being that most of the CC's had checks in place to prevent their abuse. Often times a CC would break on damage, heal the recipient of the CC, only be doable out of combat, make the target immune to incoming damage, have the CC take place in place of another skill (often a damage skill, meaing you could CC or burst but not both).

But more importantly the damage of the classes was scaled such that you weren't going to blow someone up in three shots just because you landed a CC. Crushing a max resilience (expertise's' counterpart in WoW) healer was often a very long affair.

So SWTORs' resolve system really has two hurdles. The first being that most of the games CCs' are completely absract. An Operatives stuns don't share a cooldown with their finishers, A Sorcs' CC isn't a unique part of their kit. Most of the crowd control effects ingame are merely differently named copycats that every class gets regardless.

The other hurdle is you can instagib people. My Sorc has 20k hp and 1350 resilience, and I'll regularly eat smashes and dispatches for 6-7k or 5-6k respectively. Although this might actually correct itself in the expansion depending on how much extra endurance Bioware decides to put on the new gear, since CCs' will remain as is but there will be an opportunity for Bioware to cause endurance gains to outscale damage gains on new gear and thus give their Resolve system an opportunity to work.

To see how stuns in this game are STUPID.

I play an assassin and I have 4 big hits, Shock, Maul, Discharge and Assassinate.

I use Spike as a opener, 1.5sec stun = 4.5k shock + 5k Maul

You have control of your char then I stunned you again using my Electrocute (4sec stun) = 5k Maul + 4.5k Discharge or Assassinate.

I killed the target in 5.5 sec even though using a cc breaker I have other stuns to control you.

The counter is... I think there's no counter against stunlock in this game. Resolve? pfff..

To see how stuns in this game are STUPID.

I play an assassin and I have 4 big hits, Shock, Maul, Discharge and Assassinate.

I use Spike as a opener, 1.5sec stun = 4.5k shock + 5k Maul

You have control of your char then I stunned you again using my Electrocute (4sec stun) = 5k Maul + 4.5k Discharge or Assassinate.

I killed the target in 5.5 sec even though using a cc breaker I have other stuns to control you.

The counter is... I think there's no counter against stunlock in this game. Resolve? pfff..

I hate assasins :rak_09: