Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The "Other" pay to win

Somanliuus
02.01.2013 , 07:09 PM | #1
I've been playing swtor for the last year. Ive completed all content with the exception on NiM EC (on kephiss). 4 BiS 61 toons, 1BiS 63 toon. What gripes me (but seemingly noone else) is people paying to win. An no, Im not talking about the Cartel Market. Im talking about people crafting 63 armorings/mods/enhancements. My old guild had 4-5 regular raiders that bought, with credits, a full set of dread gear. I was against this for the simple fact- not once did we set foot in TfB HM at that time. So going in on our first run most people had BiS 63 gear. I have nothing against people who down this raid crafting the gear because they earned it. But a bunch of people who have a hard time downing EC hard in dread gear should not be buying it, they should work for it. Or am I horribly wrong?

Radzkie
02.01.2013 , 07:37 PM | #2
Hey, I'm the same as you. I cleared/farmed the games content to earn my dread guard set on my main. However, I do not mind people crafting and buying 63 mods/enchantments/armorings. If that's how they want to play the game, so be it. I bought some 63 mods for my alt, in fact, and will continue to do so. I just wouldn't want to gear up a character purely that way. For one, you don't get the set bonus with crafted armorings. Secondly, to me, it's not rewarding/fulfilling.

Somanliuus
02.01.2013 , 07:44 PM | #3
And then whats the point of running terror hard or denova nightmare? Bragging rights? I prefer to run knowing I will get an upgrade from the op.

Radzkie
02.01.2013 , 07:51 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Somanliuus View Post
And then whats the point of running terror hard or denova nightmare? Bragging rights? I prefer to run knowing I will get an upgrade from the op.
I have all the best in slot 63's for my mains class. So I will not be getting any upgrades on my main until the game comes out with new gear, but I still make those runs. I do it to help other people in my guild gear up(which is important to me), get credits, crafting items, and, naturally, for bragging rights.

...And ya' know, I still really have fun making those runs because I get to hang out with my fellow guildies. They're a blast.

But I do see your point in this.

steave
02.01.2013 , 08:45 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Somanliuus View Post
For fun?
My main is full DG both for tanking and DPS, but I run them anyway because I like doing it. If you don't find that fun, why play the game at all?

wargonglok
02.01.2013 , 08:54 PM | #6
and if they remove these form crafting? then crafting becomes something you do while lving, and then forget
Sniper, 'nough said

RendValor
02.01.2013 , 09:34 PM | #7
Can't say I agree with the OP, sounds very petty to me.
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Bleeters
02.01.2013 , 11:34 PM | #8
No, I couldn't care less that people who aren't necessarily raiding TFB HM and the like are getting 150 rating gear crafted. Why should I? What they do is their business. If people want to blow literally millions of credits per item to get things crafted and advance their gear, it makes no difference to me. It doesn't detract from my experience, nor does doing so let you stroll through current end tier content effortlessly downing bosses, despite what some people seem to believe. You'll have a slight performance advantage compared to when using black hole equipment. That's it. You aren't 'paying to win'. You aren't invalidating the challenge those encounters present. Stop being melodramatic.

Having to adhere to some arbitrary definition of 'working for your items' is something I literally cannot wait to die a much deserved death, especially considering that "work" in endgame situations I've been a part of - and ToR is absolutely no exception - generally translated into "grind, grind, grind".

Boyana
02.02.2013 , 12:50 AM | #9
I can see your point and today talked to friends about this very topic.
It is kinda...weird...that you can get the best gear that way without even stepping into operations but, on the other hand, it makes professions useful. Well, some of them.

I think (my opinion), they should have put better weapon (63x, lets say) in TFB HM and even better in EC NM (63y, lets say). Only weapon, so it keeps the spirit of "being awarded".

I will just point out that, even when I get all 63 gear, I will still keep running operations 'cos I love them. I am still doing KP and EV even if there is nothing I need in there.

Creslan
02.02.2013 , 02:26 AM | #10
I can understand a couple of pieces from the top tier being craftable, maybe mods and enhancements only. But you shouldn't be able to craft and GTN purchase the best gear in the game w/o stepping foot into the operation. Why not allow the crafting of elite war hero and let people craft and GTN sell that?