Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Patch 1.6.2 Annilated my FPS

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Neverdweller
01.30.2013 , 10:16 PM | #1
Ever since this patch my game has not played right, being all jerky and lagging and changing all of my settings in game to as low as they will go *besides trying to drop resolution to 600x800 and below or making it run windowed and making the window so small you cant see it* has not changed it one tiny bit at all. the ONLY thing that stops the framerate loss is pointing the camera downwards and some areas are lag free including the starting areas for all classes, most instances or areas that are enclosed are fine, but Taris for example lags all over. However I totally played on balmorra just fine before the patch and now once I get off the shuttle and look out that first ramp at the spaceport it LAAAAAAAAAAAGS, I did everything on this planet with my bounty hunter before the patch and did NOT have these problems.

Sutii
01.31.2013 , 01:28 AM | #3 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello Neverdweller,

I have seen a couple of these threads popping up tonight, and am sorry to hear that of such performance related issues. As a first step towards resolving this problem, and although you may have attempted some of the steps already could you please run through the following, testing the game performance after each one has been completed:
  • Delete DiskCacheArena which is by default found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Bioware\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor
  • Delete client_settings which is by default found in the settings folder at C:\users\%USERNAME%\appdata\local\SWTOR\swtor\
    When you get in-game, set your graphics options to your preferences.
  • Set shadows to low or off.
  • Turn nameplate scaling off.
  • Perform a Clean boot.
  • Perform a clean install of latest non-beta video driver.
Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Neverdweller
01.31.2013 , 12:47 PM | #4
ah was really hoping this would change something the nameplate scaling especially thought it may be some sort of glitch there, however it did not, but it DID change my graphics settings to much higher than I had them set. *with no impact on gameplay choppyness when I look around in certain areas* Same exact thing that has been happening. Fast smooth when I look down or in certain areas and then so choppy I look like I have 2 frames of animation on everything, Bloom and depth of field on are reeeeeally pretty though
and yes I tried putting it all back to low, no effect. I even restarted the game and when I came back it popped up with *new graphics settings available* and I checked it and it set it back to medium graphics settings.

Neverdweller
02.01.2013 , 03:41 AM | #5
Also Just to make sure I get all the details about this out there that I can, I was even just now playing *mostly looking down so I can actually play* and I was in a conversation with general Farvis .. I think thats who it was anyway on Taris. Interesting to note that when the camera was looking at him and the back of the tent I had no lag, BUT when it focused on me or the back of him talking to me to where the camera faced out of the tent it immediately Lagged like crazy, the animations for dialog were terribly choppy when it did this but immediately returned to normal when the focus changed.

OwenBrooks
02.01.2013 , 03:56 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Neverdweller View Post
ah was really hoping this would change something the nameplate scaling especially thought it may be some sort of glitch there, however it did not, but it DID change my graphics settings to much higher than I had them set. *with no impact on gameplay choppyness when I look around in certain areas* Same exact thing that has been happening. Fast smooth when I look down or in certain areas and then so choppy I look like I have 2 frames of animation on everything, Bloom and depth of field on are reeeeeally pretty though
and yes I tried putting it all back to low, no effect. I even restarted the game and when I came back it popped up with *new graphics settings available* and I checked it and it set it back to medium graphics settings.

Can you try the below settings it may help
If you have an nVidia GPU, go to "manage 3D settings" > "Program Settings" > "Add" (find the swtor.exe from the installed directory) > "Maximum pre-rendered frames = 1 " > "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration = Single display performance" > "Power management mode = Prefer maximum performance" > "Triple buffering = ON". The rest of the settings should be left as Default.
If you do not use Vsynch then set Triple buffer to off.

Neverdweller
02.01.2013 , 01:00 PM | #7
No effect, I actually had all settings on performance already the only things changed were max rendered frames down from 3 to 1 and for some stupid reason it had multidisplay mode on. so yea changed that and zero effect still smooth as butter then LAG LAG LAG barely able to move camera when I look certain places.

Neverdweller
02.01.2013 , 01:05 PM | #8
Let me just make it totally clear that I played fine for about a month and since the patch I have changed no hardware or software on my system to initiate this drastic change with exception to downloading this patch and since then it has been lag city... very difficult to play staring at the ground with the camera zoomed out for most of the game. :/

Eterud
02.01.2013 , 03:26 PM | #9
I also noticed a big decrease since the last patch or the patch before.

I used to play the game somewhere between 20-40 fps (depennding on where, and what spells are casted)

Lately I play the game constantly at 10-15 fps when questing
10 fps when doing flashpoints and ranged pvp.
I can't play a melee class in pvp, as there the fps goes back to 2-5 fps.

I personally think that Lightning type spells make the most fps lag for me.

(and that is while being higher than the minimum requirements and playing with a totally optimized pc for this game and it's hardware.)

Grendel_Prime
02.01.2013 , 05:25 PM | #10
I was having problems where I'd drop from 98 FPS to 4.6 as soon as combat started (even just against one opponent) and then sometimes when I moved.

I rolled back my drivers (significantly) and the problem went away. Since those drivers work with the few games I play (TOR, LOTRO, Sims 3 and Planetside 2) I'm just not going to bother updating them unless I absolutely have to.

So rolling back your drivers a bit may help, or it may not. I know it fixed my problem (Diamond HD 7750).