Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Disappointed With The Romance Options

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Disappointed With The Romance Options

bright_ephemera
01.25.2013 , 07:58 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyGreggy View Post
Seems to me that the male NPC romance options almost all have something decidedly off about them, something unsettlingly strange, not just normal run of the mill personality quirks.
In the immortal words of Eutoxis:

Quote: Originally Posted by Eutoxis View Post
It is true, however, that every LI toon for a female player that I've ever encountered is repulsive on some level: cowtipper, catboy, sleazebag holoaddict for the republic side that I've seen so far; borged out bug, skeevy pirate, effeminate <spoiler>, bieber fett on the empire side.
That list was missing the scumbag insincere player.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Perihelion
01.25.2013 , 11:46 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
All that said? I think Corso is sweet and old-fashioned if clingy. For all their myriad flaws, some of them do add to the game.
This sorta sums up the Corso romance, imo, it made me uncomfortable. (Quinn's didn't, go figure). His constant insistance that I was a lady did it, I think, along with his constant fits of jealousy (though quite hilarious). I just couldn't get the rid of the nagging suspicion that if I ever broke up with him that I would have to slap a restraining order on him or he would snatch me away and lock me away in some gilded cage or worse, a love dungeon. For my own protection, of course.

I do think the romances add a lot to the storylines, however.

SithKoriandr
01.25.2013 , 12:53 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Perihelion View Post
This sorta sums up the Corso romance, imo, it made me uncomfortable. (Quinn's didn't, go figure). His constant insistance that I was a lady did it, I think, along with his constant fits of jealousy (though quite hilarious). I just couldn't get the rid of the nagging suspicion that if I ever broke up with him that I would have to slap a restraining order on him or he would snatch me away and lock me away in some gilded cage or worse, a love dungeon. For my own protection, of course.

I do think the romances add a lot to the storylines, however.
lol

I think how the NPC ends up flirting will have a different reaction from each player. Now I admit, I don't quite get the out of character discomfort (sense I see it as just a game) especially since they (the devs) likely wanted to try to diversify the NPC personalities, but I would love to have little in character moments in the storyline where you can play out a scene with yoru character thinking that to themself if not saying it out loud.

Rabenschwinge
01.25.2013 , 01:21 PM | #14
Just one thing to add to what i said earlier (that the biggest flaw not only of romances, but companions in all, is that every class has their own set of companions), I believe one of the most frustrating things about romances that you can only try things that may work.

I am specifically thinking of Watcher 2 in the Imperial Agent storyline here.
Spoiler

That's of course a trait that befits her, but she never shows that in-game, you can only find out by comparing game events with other players who played through themselves. You can't even learn those details about the characters in-game.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

SithKoriandr
01.25.2013 , 01:32 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
Just one thing to add to what i said earlier (that the biggest flaw not only of romances, but companions in all, is that every class has their own set of companions), I believe one of the most frustrating things about romances that you can only try things that may work.

Spoiler

That's of course a trait that befits her, but she never shows that in-game, you can only find out by comparing game events with other players who played through themselves. You can't even learn those details about the characters in-game.
things like that could be BWs way of encouraging players to diversify and replay through the game. To find little easter eggs like that.

Kristjansa
01.25.2013 , 01:41 PM | #16
This! We want romancable gungan companions!

Truvu
01.25.2013 , 05:35 PM | #17
Romances differ greatly depending on what class you play, what gender you are and most importantly the character you romance.

Spoilers for Imperial Agent and Trooper below.

Spoiler

So I wouldn't say they're disappointing. It just depends on a lot of different factors and a few class/gender combinations can be a bit dull.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post

Spoiler

What? I flirted with her multiple times as a Chiss. I don't know if you mean it's not possible to get the the end of the romance options with her while being alien, but the flirt options were available to me.

DAWUSS
01.25.2013 , 09:59 PM | #18
My big problem is you're not exactly spoiled for choice when it comes to romance options or even flirts and flings.

Bemala
01.26.2013 , 12:08 PM | #19
I desperately want my female Jedi knight to romance with Sith Lord Scourge - that would really be worth a story (instead of slimy Doc)! Thanks for considering, Bioware!

Phyreblade
01.26.2013 , 02:34 PM | #20
I enjoyed the romances, rather. None of them were fed to me. I mean, there was enough left vague that I could RP the romance as I chose, making it unique to my own character, rather. And each ended up being wonderful foils for whatever class I was playing, just nice additions to the character stories.

All in all, they were fun, is all.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel, Sawbones Scoundrel on the Shadowlands Server