Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Preorder Early Access

Urael
01.25.2013 , 10:31 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
Great example.

This is why it works. It is a fool-proof marketing scheme, and guaranteed to work because of the mentality we see here. It is "only 10 dollars". True enough, but it represents a windfall, depending on player numbers, in the area of 10 million dollars with no risk of loss, no responsibility to provide adequate content, just, "early access". There is no chance of repercussions or litigation because they've delivered what they've marketed-early access. Further, the cost, as you've stated, is so low to each individual as to make it not worth the cost or effort to pursue should they fail to provide an adequate product.

Even in those cases where one may exceed rational thought and pursue, the refund of 10 dollars to settle out is an absolute minimum. There are only "watch-dog" entities to be concerned with, and in this particular industry it is highly unlikely.

That is just one example of the mechanics involved in this type of transaction. It is a win for them all the way across the board regardless of what content they put out. Keep in mind that I'm not arguing the affordability of the offer. I am also not arguing that it is a scam. I'm simply putting putting forth the contention that this is a text-book example of how such scams function.
Yeah .. er no ... not in this case. While what you have detailed is legit for describing cons and scams it is bit "Tin Foil Hat" with regards to "virtual media". If you think about it the WHOLE THING is a scam (no matter what game you play) because you are spending your money on "nothing tangible".

$10 is nothing. People "waste" $10 everyday on "luxuries", "loto tickets" and "starbucks coffee".

Falensawino
02.28.2013 , 02:58 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Vjun_ View Post
Ok so how do you do a preorder early access in a game that is already launched?
Guy! You're preordering an upcoming digital expansion, so far, that expansion has NOT been released...

Bioware/Origin is self-publishing the digital download. They have the liberty to award whatever preorder bonus they see fit. It's no different than gamestop preorder bonuses which come packaged with extra content discs, plastic toys, or other manufactured swag. This is a digital download, thus bypassing the whole manufacturing, shipping process and release date logistics; the goal with going digital is not to make customers wait for a physical product to show up in their hands. So if time is the question, what better preorder bonus than playing the game before its intended release date.??

Note about the PTS:
Spoiler

----
Looking back at your post, what you actually have a problem with is...
.. the video game industry's habit of coming up with preorder bonuses for unreleased products.
I think the best way to go about resolving this problem of yours, is, fire up some angry emails/letters, point your 21 inch hate guns at every major vg publisher and corporate retail store, bombard them with all your preorder complaints and ask the industry to cease all future preorder bonuses. Here's a list of all the major publishers and retailers:
Spoiler

MrSchmo
02.28.2013 , 03:18 PM | #23
Sounds like someone (op) didn't preorder it in time and is now sad that it's now worth $10.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

majiinx
02.28.2013 , 03:54 PM | #24
I'm hoping when the game does launch they will still allow those that purchased the expansion after the early access offer to at least be able to gain xp and level to 55, just not have access to the new content. In pvp a 5 day head start can be a big deal. I personally started playing the game again mid jan so I was out of luck with the early access deal but hey thats life and I hope i'll at least be able to still work towards cap even if all i can do i pvp and do dailies etc... but we'll have to wait see. No sense in getting upset about it, I'm sure they will be fair about it.

Kubernetic
02.28.2013 , 04:41 PM | #25
Ok so how do you do a preorder early access in a game that is already launched? Is it fair that a paying subscriber that preordered the update isn't allowed to play it until those that preordered before Jan 7th get their 5 days in?

This sounds like a way of punishing players for being cautious before buying. Only those who jump on the pay now button get rewarded. How can you restrict players from a new planet that they purchased for the same amount of money? And you can word it however you like " early access" " 5 day head start" , whatever, but its more like this, " If you didnt preorder before Jan 7th you will have to wait 5 days longer to play the content you purchased, but thank you for buying. "

I get the whole early access for a launch of a game but i do not get early access for a launch of a game update. And please don't call it an expansion, there is not nearly enough content in this to be called an expansion.

Hoping this game takes a turn around, im enjoying it for the most part, I just wish Bioware would stop playing the favorites game with its customers. And yes I buy Cartel coins and yes I am a subscriber, so I more than enough support this game and feel that I along with everyone else who pays to play should get to play the new update when it launches, not have to wait 5 days. Do the right thing Bioware.
I'm presuming there will be some kind of Cartel Coin charge to allow F2P players to progress beyond 50 into the 51-55 range, and to visit Makeb.

If this is true, then all they need to do is assign all of us who have pre-ordered that access before anyone else can obtain it. Seems like it would work to me.
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

Arlbo_Nabbins
02.28.2013 , 06:54 PM | #26
Ok so how do you do a preorder early access in a game that is already launched?
The patch that contains RotHC goes live, people who pre-orderd before 7th of January will have their purchases activated, those that bought it later will have their purchase activated after 5 days.

Is it fair that a paying subscriber that preordered the update isn't allowed to play it until those that preordered before Jan 7th get their 5 days in?
Yes, completely fair. You had the option to pre-order just like everyone else.

This sounds like a way of punishing players for being cautious before buying. Only those who jump on the pay now button get rewarded. How can you restrict players from a new planet that they purchased for the same amount of money?
Or its a way of rewarding those who ordered early while punishing no one else.

And you can word it however you like " early access" " 5 day head start" , whatever, but its more like this, " If you didnt preorder before Jan 7th you will have to wait 5 days longer to play the content you purchased, but thank you for buying. "
They announced the early access offer and they announced when it would end. The fact that you chose not to take advantage of that offer is wholly your responsibility.