Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Getting forced into Romance: Sorta spoiler

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Getting forced into Romance: Sorta spoiler

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.22.2013 , 05:35 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
This does just get worse and worse. I think I may hold off from rolling a Trooper any time soon - don't want to get stuck in the date-rape situation.
o.O I don't think it plays out like that in the story, even if you the player may feel that way because you didn't mean to go that route, and it seems like an aweful thing to compare it to. Let's compare a game storyline that doesn't know what a players real reaction is to poor choices on a dialogue wheel tooo...YEAH THAT! :/

Had a scene like that with Torian as well, where all three options led to it I believe, but I guess it's my fault for wanting my BH to be taught how to speak mandolorian

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
01.22.2013 , 05:35 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Once you have tripped the romance line - and I think Nadia and, I've heard, Jorgan have stealth non-[Flirt] triggers - you cannot leave. There's an old petition to let us, you know, break up with our companion characters and maybe not be bombarded with kisses, propositions, proposals and so on forever more, but as the game stands, once you've started one of the full romances (i.e. not Tharan or Pierce) you don't get to stop.
You can end Iresso's romance mid way.

Spoiler
HARBINGER-60s
Alana, Myschal, Vodoun, Alan

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
01.22.2013 , 05:37 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
o.O I don't think it plays out like that in the story, even if you the player may feel that way because you didn't mean to go that route, and it seems like an aweful thing to compare it to. Let's compare a game storyline that doesn't know what a players real reaction is to poor choices on a dialogue wheel tooo...YEAH THAT! :/
Sorry, I'll change it "unwilling fade-to-black for all persons involved".

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
01.22.2013 , 05:39 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
That's probably one of the reasons for the fear of same-gender options. These bugs just create some truely awful situations. I love Jorgan, but apparently there is a hidden flirt that can start that romance, and there's at least one conversation where there's no option out of a ftb. Besides the shudder-worthy awfulness of that, it completely breaks the story as well - Jorgan is entirely a 'stop when you say' guy. So it's bad bad on both a personal and a storytelling level.
Considering that Makeb is likely to be like Balmorra
Spoiler
you'll probably have an out up to the FTB.
HARBINGER-60s
Alana, Myschal, Vodoun, Alan

iamthehoyden's Avatar


iamthehoyden
01.22.2013 , 05:46 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
o.O I don't think it plays out like that in the story, even if you the player may feel that way because you didn't mean to go that route, and it seems like an aweful thing to compare it to. Let's compare a game storyline that doesn't know what a players real reaction is to poor choices on a dialogue wheel tooo...YEAH THAT! :/

Had a scene like that with Torian as well, where all three options led to it I believe, but I guess it's my fault for wanting my BH to be taught how to speak mandolorian
It's not an unreasonable comparison. And the fact of the matter is that it's a subject that deserves to be treated seriously. There are many people who would be extremely upset at such a situation because of personal experiences.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.22.2013 , 05:56 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
It's not an unreasonable comparison. And the fact of the matter is that it's a subject that deserves to be treated seriously. There are many people who would be extremely upset at such a situation because of personal experiences.
It is a very unreasonable comparison.

For one, you picked the options to get there, you may not have meant to pick those options, but you did. The game only has a linear path to follow.

So to the game it checks the lines "Did they say yes? Yup! Go here." "Did they continue to say yes? Yup! go here!"

You may have accidently been picking the "Yes" lines, but you were picking them, and so your character very much was saying "yes"

I'd say it's much more akin to saying yes to someone and waking up the next day and wondering why you let it get that far.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
01.22.2013 , 05:56 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
It's not an unreasonable comparison. And the fact of the matter is that it's a subject that deserves to be treated seriously. There are many people who would be extremely upset at such a situation because of personal experiences.
Considering how it plays out (the player and by extension the character are not interested in the companion in that way) it would most definitely be a trigger for some people, hence my comparison. But, hey, I changed it for the less controversial "unwilling participant in this sexual activity" alternative anyway, largely because I don't want to get into another "conversation" wherein someone decides it's time to talk down to me. Yay.

bright_ephemera's Avatar


bright_ephemera
01.22.2013 , 05:59 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
It is a very unreasonable comparison.

For one, you picked the options to get there, you may not have meant to pick those options, but you did. The game only has a linear path to follow.

So to the game it checks the lines "Did they say yes? Yup! Go here." "Did they continue to say yes? Yup! go here!"

You may have accidently been picking the "Yes" lines, but you were picking them, and so your character very much was saying "yes"

I'd say it's much more akin to saying yes to someone and waking up the next day and wondering why you let it get that far.
So...if you act inviting early in the evening, you're asking for anything, and I mean anything, that may happen thereafter. You're the one choosing to send signals; there's an obvious conclusion. When you actually get near the ftb and find that there's a checkpoint where you cannot say no, it's entirely your fault for putting yourself in that position and you've got no one to blame but yourself.

That reasoning is unacceptable in real life and I think it excuses nothing in game. "No" should always, always, always, always, always be a permitted answer.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
01.22.2013 , 06:02 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
So...if you act inviting early in the evening, you're asking for anything, and I mean anything, that may happen thereafter. You're the one choosing to send signals; there's an obvious conclusion. When you actually get near the ftb and find that there's a checkpoint where you cannot say no, it's entirely your fault for putting yourself in that position and you've got no one to blame but yourself.

That reasoning is unacceptable in real life and I think it excuses nothing in game. "No" should always, always, always, always, always be a permitted answer.
Not to mention this situation can occur without having chosen any [Flirt] options, as demonstrated in Bright's linked thread (which is broken, by the way).

iamthehoyden's Avatar


iamthehoyden
01.22.2013 , 06:03 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
It is a very unreasonable comparison.

For one, you picked the options to get there, you may not have meant to pick those options, but you did. The game only has a linear path to follow.

So to the game it checks the lines "Did they say yes? Yup! Go here." "Did they continue to say yes? Yup! go here!"

You may have accidently been picking the "Yes" lines, but you were picking them, and so your character very much was saying "yes"

I'd say it's much more akin to saying yes to someone and waking up the next day and wondering why you let it get that far.
I'll try to clarify what I meant. It's not intended, clearly. I don't think BW wanted their game to create a situation where a companion npc r*pes the player character or pushes them into a romance that was unwanted. In the hidden flirts situation, it's coded incorrectly - leading to people accidentally starting the romance in cases where they didn't intend to.

The designers also made some poor decisions in terms of no opt-out options. There's really no excuse for a lack of opt-out options with a ftb. That should NEVER happen.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box