Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

new computer

Toweleeeie
01.21.2013 , 11:59 PM | #11
I would go with an i7. This game is CPU heavy bc its a 32 bit dx 9 game.
Can I has more Sandbox?

Marmerus
01.22.2013 , 09:48 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
I think he'll be able to pull of more than that under full load, but the 600W is most definitely enough.

OP: In case you're doubting on ever going cross-fire, SLI, tri-SLI or whatever you may wish to increase the PSU a bit. In case of SLI I'd recommend around 800W, in case of tri-SLI I'd recommend 1000W.

It doesn't have to be any time soon, but even for example if you're planning in 3 years from now or something I'd still pick up the heavier PSU. Those Corsair PSU's last a long time and also have a very lengthy warranty (depending on the series it can reach up to 7 years). It'd be a shame if 2 years down the road you'd decide to pick up a SLI build you were doubting on already anyway, but due to each card under full load being able to pull 350~400 Watt suddenly running into power shortage and still needing to buy that PSU extra.

If you're certain SLI or CrossFire will never be part of your system, just stick to the 600W, by far sufficient.
I am sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about.

First of all
Here is a benchmark of the watt usage on the 7870
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,7.html
As you can see the entire system at full load pulls 274 Watt from the wall. This is with the i7 965 cpu that consumes around 40W more power than the i5 2500k and the i5 2500k takes more than the budget version OP posted that he is going with. AND they overclocked the i7 965 so it consumes even more power on top of that.

Second of all each card being able to pull 400WATT? Jesus christ where did you get that number from? It is so far from the truth you could possibly get.

Here is a secret tip you can use, count the power connectors on the card. For each 6 pin you add 75 Watt, for each 8 pin you add 150W and for the PCI-E slot you add another 75W (even if PCI-E 2.0 can deliver 150W).

So lets try this for an example the 7870 has two 6 pin connectors. That means the card should use around 75x2 watt but less than 75x3 watt. And that means it should use around 150W but has 75W extra as safe zone. And how much does it use? Around 127W for each card!

If you are looking at cards that pulls 300W and above at full load you need to start looking at the high end cards like 7970 overclocked! But you won't be seeing any 400W on any budget single gpu cards.

And finally if you would get a 1000 Watt PSU to run a 200W idle and 400W full load system then you lose a ******** of power because of the poor power efficiency. You should always strive to have a PSU that is dimensioned to run at twice the load. That means when idle just under half the wattage of the PSU and during full load a bit above. Not a PSU that can handle 4 times the load! That is just *********** retarded!
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.

Marmerus
01.22.2013 , 09:50 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Toweleeeie View Post
I would go with an i7. This game is CPU heavy bc its a 32 bit dx 9 game.
But the game is still very poorly threaded so running with an i7 is just going to leave you with 2 unused cores and 6 unused threads running a total of 2 cores and 2 threads.
While i5 would run this game just as good at the same clock speeds with 2 used cores and 2 used threads AND you still have $130 in your pocket.
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.

Joesixxpack
01.22.2013 , 10:02 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by lordmattmm View Post
Okay thanks I'm playing on a emachine at like 5-12 fps now on very low 800x600 so anything is better than what I'm using now kinda wanting to see if my emachine blows up by then I already have ordered the parts should be here in a few days so hope no electrical discharge from my end ill be building with a wrist strap on a metal table lol just incase
Haha! I had an emachines years ago. It blew up and from then on I built my own.

If you add any fans I can recommend the bitfenix spectre pros. Quiet and move the air pretty good. I put 8 in my latest battlestation and a bitfenix recon controller which works good too.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE