Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
01.20.2013 , 12:53 PM | #5461
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler
Node guarder

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
01.20.2013 , 01:18 PM | #5462
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler


I don't know if there's any npc romance that is as complicated as her's.

Quote: Originally Posted by Wittand View Post
I have only finished the trooper story so far, but unless the other classes are radically different, decisions you make regarding your companions are already unimportant (from the moment they join in the case of Jaesa). All that they really affect are affection. And you can raise that with gifts to negate the fallout of any decision your companions did not like.
They tend to be more complicated in situations where you have more than one romanceable companions on your ship, where you get a confrontation and have to make a choice about it. You can definitely kill a romance or stop it from happening on at least most of them. There also are some decisions you make about the nature of your relationship (marrying, not marrying but staying together, and some other things specific to certain companions).
How important those decisions are depends on whether they ever continue companion stories, and how much you value your own personal RP experiences with them.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.20.2013 , 05:44 PM | #5463
Curious, SGR was left out, but what about Polyamorous Relationships? Not everyone is confined to monogamous relationships in their RL, so why leave them excluded?

TaxMilliont's Avatar


TaxMilliont
01.20.2013 , 05:58 PM | #5464
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Curious, SGR was left out, but what about Polyamorous Relationships? Not everyone is confined to monogamous relationships in their RL, so why leave them excluded?
Spoiler

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
01.20.2013 , 06:01 PM | #5465
Most questions I've seen asking about poly relationships have been removed, likely because Bioware though that the people asking were trolling (they may have been), but I think it's a reasonable suggestion. There is nothing inherently wrong with an open or multi-party relationship, so long as all members are in agreement with each other.

I imagine there may be Sith* who have married for power, but maintained external relationships out love (...or power).


*Sith can do anything. No one questions Sith.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.20.2013 , 06:17 PM | #5466
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Most questions I've seen asking about poly relationships have been removed, likely because Bioware though that the people asking were trolling (they may have been), but I think it's a reasonable suggestion. There is nothing inherently wrong with an open or multi-party relationship, so long as all members are in agreement with each other.

I imagine there may be Sith* who have married for power, but maintained external relationships out love (...or power).


*Sith can do anything. No one questions Sith.
Well, not trolling here. I got to thinking on how I think I'd want to play out my SW and I think poly would be the way to go!

But yeah, was thinking with companions.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
01.20.2013 , 07:03 PM | #5467
I'd love to see polyamory in SWTOR but frankly I don't think that's going to happen. Having a companion partner who doesn't mind you playing about with non-companion NPCs is probably about the closest we'll ever see. I mean, look at the furore over two people with the same shaped genitals. I don't think either should be an issue but I can see how BW:A might want to avoid that metaphorical can of worms.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
01.20.2013 , 07:33 PM | #5468
My agent is definitely polyamorous.

People generally ask that question when it comes to gay marriage in general, although in real life I think there's certainly a large number of social/tax/economical issues that are relevant.

I think in the context of the game, they just like to have people make meaningful choices, and not be able to marry every companion and NPC. What are the odds that every romanceable companion in the game is totally cool with sharing?
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
01.20.2013 , 07:50 PM | #5469
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
My agent is definitely polyamorous.
Your agent would get along with plenty of my characters, then.

Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
People generally ask that question when it comes to gay marriage in general, although in real life I think there's certainly a large number of social/tax/economical issues that are relevant.
Depending on where you are, I guess. There are a lot of laws regarding de facto partners that are the same for same sex couples in Australia now.

Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
I think in the context of the game, they just like to have people make meaningful choices, and not be able to marry every companion and NPC. What are the odds that every romanceable companion in the game is totally cool with sharing?
I don't know many polyamorous people who are totally cool with sharing either. Sharing with rules and negotiations, and with coping mechanisms for jealousy spikes, sure - but those things don't need to be represented in-game. If polyamory were put in SWTOR (which I don't expect to ever happen) those things would be non-mechanical writing elements, I assume.

Then again I don't know a single polyamorous person who's not in some way or another a recovering monogamist living in a monogamy-centric society. Historical evidence suggests that people brought up in societies accepting of non-monogamy don't (surprise surprise) have hang-ups about it.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
01.20.2013 , 09:01 PM | #5470
Quote: Originally Posted by Hudlar View Post
Very true. I'm hoping for something like the non-companion romances that Troopers and (I think) Agents get now.
I've been thinking about this and I don't believe the Makeb "romances" can be as in depth as the non-companion ones in game now.

From what I understand, none of the Makeb content is class and character exclusive...so all dialog choices will come down to a roll for up to 4 people in a group. The non-companion romances used in your example had dialog exclusive to an instance and the owner of it. It would be kind of odd if four players were romancing the same NPC over the course of Makeb's story.

So, it has to be like some of the shared flirt opportunities we have now with random NPCs and will be subject to a roll if you are in a group, which aren't deep at all.
Node guarder