Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How can anyone take the empire seriously?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
How can anyone take the empire seriously?

Alandross's Avatar


Alandross
01.18.2013 , 04:22 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by kijthae View Post
This is valid for republic too and for other games too. Computer games are becoming stupid and more childish narrationionaly.

Im missing games like :
Vampire the masqurade
Metal Gear Solid
Baldurs Gate
Fallout2
Longest Journey
Monkey Island
REdneck Rampage ( not great stroy but great humor )
mdk 2
I really wish you would have put Redneck Rampage as the first item on your list so I would have come to the conclusion to ignore you earlier.

AHierophant's Avatar


AHierophant
01.18.2013 , 04:38 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by HammersteinSW View Post
Empire...lol.

All they have is a crappy small city on a jungle planet, which would blow up if they don't keep a 24/7 watch on their lightning spires. Plus they can't go anywhere since major portions of their own planet are now controlled by rebelling slaves, a rogue Sith lord, an invading mercenary army and a bunch of angry Mandalorians.

I wonder how they can ever get something done, when they can't even control their homeworld ?!
Actually, the Empire more reflects reality than the Republic does. The Empire is a standard State in the sense that "War is the health of the State". For the Empire to survive and flourish, it is imperative that it has an outside, foreign threat. Otherwise, what you see in the Empire is what is in game now - infighting, sabotage, loss of direction, competing interests, and so forth.

The Empire needs the war to galvanize the military, provide the Mandolorians with the Jedi and Spec Ops opponents they demand, and give the Sith more chances to attain greater power, Otherwise the military stagnates, the Mandolorians kill each other, and the Sith scquire more power by taking it from each other. This is exactly how the real world works without the whitewashing we give it to make us feel civilized.
Looking to rer-roll from your graveyard to a healthy PvE-East Server?

Try Juyo!

Midasear's Avatar


Midasear
01.19.2013 , 01:30 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Arutar View Post
When is comes to the sith / jedi codes, however, ill take the sith code (which revoles about freedom) any day over the jedi nonsense (emotions are bad!).
If a bunch of people were walking around with the power to shoot lightning out of their fingertips and crush windpipes at will, encouraging those people to keep their emotions in check and think things through calmly _might_ be in the best interest of _everyone_, force users included.

Midasear's Avatar


Midasear
01.19.2013 , 02:07 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Mridc View Post
And I found the SI story line to be insanely boring to be honest.
...
I just finished the SI story as a Twi'Lek Assassin a couple weeks ago.

I enjoyed the story immensely. From the outset, the character is engaged in a brutal struggle for simple survival. The inquisitor has to claw her way up from a cess pit to the top of the Sith Order or face a hideous and painful death. She struggles at every turn merely to be taken seriously and faces not just death, but naked contempt, at every turn. There is a constant sense of pressure to move forward or perish horribly.

Its like a plot dreamed up by a half-deranged Neitschzean playright who typed out "WHAT DOES NOT KILL ME MAKES ME STRONGER" for a title, added a half dozen exclamation points, and just went on from there. Kind of the opposite of "boring".

/shrug

I know some people complain that the SI story does not have enough "plotting", but I'm not even sure what that means in the context of a video game. I guess some people wanted to spend a lot of time as a Mr. Burns type dressed up in red&black robes, cackling and going "exxxxxxcellent..." after weaving an intricate web of embarrasing rumors about their rivals on the Holonet from their penthouse apartment's desktop PC. But I'm not sure how to present that within this medium.

Trooperclay's Avatar


Trooperclay
01.19.2013 , 09:54 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by discbox View Post
BioWare thinks the player feels more awesome by making all npc complete idiots. But they are wrong.
I couldnt agree more.
For a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times... before the Empire...

LeiBruc's Avatar


LeiBruc
01.19.2013 , 10:12 PM | #76
Lium do you play on proph of 5 I knew a sentinel there with a similar name?

Kristjansa's Avatar


Kristjansa
01.21.2013 , 02:41 PM | #77
I really enjoyed playing as Agent and Assassin.

Sith warriors seem like the dumb brutes, who'd roar loud and mighty, but would get turned into cannon fodder because of their stupidity.

However, I found the Jedi Knight similar - something about him made it feel as if he's the brainwashed enforcer of the republic. If the republic would outlaw little kittens tomorrow, then the Jedi Knight would be the first to hunt down those kittens, lecture them about how good always prevails and then kill those kittens with 0 remorse.
I haven't finished the JK storyline though, so he could prove me wrong.

Surinen's Avatar


Surinen
01.21.2013 , 02:58 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Kristjansa View Post
I really enjoyed playing as Agent and Assassin.

Sith warriors seem like the dumb brutes, who'd roar loud and mighty, but would get turned into cannon fodder because of their stupidity.

However, I found the Jedi Knight similar - something about him made it feel as if he's the brainwashed enforcer of the republic. If the republic would outlaw little kittens tomorrow, then the Jedi Knight would be the first to hunt down those kittens, lecture them about how good always prevails and then kill those kittens with 0 remorse.
I haven't finished the JK storyline though, so he could prove me wrong.
did you really play Sith Warrior? he is calm, his vocabulary is rich and sense of humour on a higher plane of intelligence than inquisitor. Yes, they do roar, at least make such sound ( force scream ), they are mighty and they choose to fight on the first lines because it gives them satisfaction. Being brutal is not dumb, when you see an ant, you can 1. go to your house, prepare anti-ant cocktail and pour it on ant 2. smash it, Warriors do not overthink simple matters, they thrive in possibility of reshaping flesh of their victims, of mutilating them, of hearing screams of agony, they feed on fear Being a warrior is noble and just, they are recruited mostly from the nobility and top notch elite.
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.

Kristjansa's Avatar


Kristjansa
01.21.2013 , 03:08 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Surinen View Post
did you really play Sith Warrior? he is calm, his vocabulary is rich and sense of humour on a higher plane of intelligence than inquisitor. Yes, they do roar, at least make such sound ( force scream ), they are mighty and they choose to fight on the first lines because it gives them satisfaction. Being brutal is not dumb, when you see an ant, you can 1. go to your house, prepare anti-ant cocktail and pour it on ant 2. smash it, Warriors do not overthink simple matters, they thrive in possibility of reshaping flesh of their victims, of mutilating them, of hearing screams of agony, they feed on fear Being a warrior is noble and just, they are recruited mostly from the nobility and top notch elite.
You just point out that they try too hard to look hardcore.

IMO, diplomacy, stealth and resolve win wars, not symbolic theatrics and ego tripping.

Have you ever tried to get rid of an ant colony by squashing each of them individually? Go see how long it will take.

Surinen's Avatar


Surinen
01.21.2013 , 03:23 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Kristjansa View Post
You just point out that they try too hard to look hardcore.

IMO, diplomacy, stealth and resolve win wars, not symbolic theatrics and ego tripping.

Have you ever tried to get rid of an ant colony by squashing each of them individually? Go see how long it will take.
what win wars is: strategy and tactic - and resources; human, other metals and minerals that are not human.
stealth is all good and shiny if you want to steal few guns and rob magazines on a little scale
diplomacy, violence is also a form of diplomacy
and resolve, Sith have it a lot

they are not hardcore, they are Sith and they enjoy discords and suffering

and in Star Wars, in this period of time the Force is a huge factor, considering that one skilled user can wipe whole planet. one Sith Warrior is worth dozens of regular soldiers, if not hundreds.

of course you dont, theres many more simple solutions to expire ant colony. without breaking intellectual sweat
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.