Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lent_San
01.13.2013 , 02:23 PM | #5221
Just a random thing I wanted to throw in.... spoiler alert for those that haven't played a male Smuggler yet.

It makes me happy (I guess in an "I take what I can get" kind of way ) that Corso will take my Smuggler's courting gifts. Not only that, but he reacts quite favorably to them.

Just finished his companion quest and he refers to my guy as "my captain" more than once... and it makes me go .
Even his cousin Rona whom we were supposed to save said to him afterwards "Go with your captain. Maybe both of you will be able to do what I never could." or something along the lines.

Thinking about it, since Corso is the only guy in the Smuggler's team (well, Bowdaar aside), is it unreasonable of me to hope he'll be available for SGR?

Quite certainly, both harmonize quite well with the other. Wow, I wish, I wish....

// end mushy little fangirl rant

SirGladiator
01.13.2013 , 03:43 PM | #5222
I haven't played with Jasea yet, and when I had Ashara I was light side so turning her dark side wasn't an issue, but I agree with the option to turn either one light or dark during your romance, as long as my female character has the same opportunity. Options like that are cool, its always fun to have the option to turn characters light or dark side, I wouldn't mind if they expanded those light/dark options to include more romances if those are the only ones, again so long as female characters get that same option. We female characters should have the exact same opportunities the male characters have, we do in every other aspect of the game and there's no reason why romances should be any different. Equal treatment, its not a hard concept, its the point of this thread and its what the vast majority of players want, hopefully it'll become reality sooner rather than later.

JediMB
01.13.2013 , 07:26 PM | #5223
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
As an aside, I would like a LS Jaesa romance too (SGRA enabled ofc) but I have an odd feeling that it would be OGRA exclusive if ever added (DS Jaesa would be the SGRA )
The implications of a character "going bi" because she's turned evil are pretty nasty, so I really hope that doesn't happen. Now whether or not any possible LS romance should be same-gender or universal... I shan't say.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

amnie
01.13.2013 , 08:16 PM | #5224
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Just a random thing I wanted to throw in.... spoiler alert for those that haven't played a male Smuggler yet.

It makes me happy (I guess in an "I take what I can get" kind of way ) that Corso will take my Smuggler's courting gifts. Not only that, but he reacts quite favorably to them.

Just finished his companion quest and he refers to my guy as "my captain" more than once... and it makes me go .
Even his cousin Rona whom we were supposed to save said to him afterwards "Go with your captain. Maybe both of you will be able to do what I never could." or something along the lines.

Thinking about it, since Corso is the only guy in the Smuggler's team (well, Bowdaar aside), is it unreasonable of me to hope he'll be available for SGR?

Quite certainly, both harmonize quite well with the other. Wow, I wish, I wish....

// end mushy little fangirl rant

see, I've been saying that the entiiiire time that he doesn't seem to be 'all that straight', he is just the typical 'gentleman-farmboy' with a female smuggler and all 'bro bro' with the male one. and there are more than enough 'minor hints'. I feel with you, no doubt. it's making me all grrr and arrr that it's just not going to happen any time soon (outside my head, anyway)

PluckyDog
01.14.2013 , 01:11 AM | #5225
Thank you to those who replied to my previous post.

On another note... I am wondering about those who are excited about the new SGR flirts, in the upcoming expansion or whatever, if they see the move as good thing or a bad thing? It sort of feels like, to me, that Bioware (and affiliates) are simply giving us a tiny bone to chew to keep our mouths busy. It doesn't seem fair. Or do you think it's an opening to more equal availability of SGR's in the future? Do you think it's best to put money into something that you hope gets better or to withhold that money as a warning to the company (that we want full SGR's or nothing)? What gets the message across better? Obviously, if you enjoy the game no matter what... the question is less important.

On a side note... I am wondering if I choose to cancel my subscription, do I lose everything (characters, gear, credits, etc.)? Or would they just continue on when/if I resubscribe in the future?

Zandilar
01.14.2013 , 02:15 AM | #5226
Quote: Originally Posted by SirGladiator View Post
I haven't played with Jasea yet, and when I had Ashara I was light side so turning her dark side wasn't an issue, but I agree with the option to turn either one light or dark during your romance, as long as my female character has the same opportunity. Options like that are cool, its always fun to have the option to turn characters light or dark side, I wouldn't mind if they expanded those light/dark options to include more romances if those are the only ones, again so long as female characters get that same option. We female characters should have the exact same opportunities the male characters have, we do in every other aspect of the game and there's no reason why romances should be any different. Equal treatment, its not a hard concept, its the point of this thread and its what the vast majority of players want, hopefully it'll become reality sooner rather than later.
I've played through Jaesa's story, and the LS/DS thing was good. But leave it at her. There's no need for Ashara too, honestly.

Especially since it would then be that both female Sith Force Using Companions having a changeable alignment.

There are some unfortunate implications that I don't think people have really thought through.

(Hint: has to do with only female Sith force users being able to have their alignments changed due to the influence of their PCs.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Kioma
01.14.2013 , 02:56 AM | #5227
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
There are some unfortunate implications that I don't think people have really thought through.

(Hint: has to do with only female Sith force users being able to have their alignments changed due to the influence of their PCs.)
There are negative counter-implications, too. While you're clearly (and perhaps correctly) implying that the writer team feels that women are more, shall we say, malleable than men (and thus the female NPCs can be bent to the wills of the player and the males can't) there's another side of the coin that, equally, I think hasn't been considered.

The Force 'alignment' function is, to me, a sign that the writers wanted to put something complex, interesting and dynamic (one might even say 'intimate') into the companions' stories. Why can't male companions have something like that? Providing that functionality to both male and female companions would address both inconsistencies.

I enjoyed the decision-making process that led to my Jaesa's inclinations. That was fun to play through - really fun. I would've loved to have seen that process (perhaps stretched out a bit more over an entire chapter, so you can slowly redeem or corrupt a companion over a stretch of time) for all Force-using companions.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Zandilar
01.14.2013 , 03:56 AM | #5228
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
There are negative counter-implications, too. While you're clearly (and perhaps correctly) implying that the writer team feels that women are more, shall we say, malleable than men (and thus the female NPCs can be bent to the wills of the player and the males can't) there's another side of the coin that, equally, I think hasn't been considered.
That men are stubborn and intractable, and incapable of change?

The way it is at the moment, with just Jaesa, is okay. I'd prefer her to be romaceable for both sides of the force, but if it's just her, the implication is that it is only she that is so malleable.

Quote:
The Force 'alignment' function is, to me, a sign that the writers wanted to put something complex, interesting and dynamic (one might even say 'intimate') into the companions' stories. Why can't male companions have something like that? Providing that functionality to both male and female companions would address both inconsistencies.

I enjoyed the decision-making process that led to my Jaesa's inclinations. That was fun to play through - really fun. I would've loved to have seen that process (perhaps stretched out a bit more over an entire chapter, so you can slowly redeem or corrupt a companion over a stretch of time) for all Force-using companions.
I was going to put a similar suggestion in my post, but I was in a hurry at the time. (Hmm, that's interesting. All the force using companions bar one are female...)

Ultimately I don't like that idea any better, though. The idea that my PCs are the sole moral guide to their companions really just rubs me up the wrong way. Why is it that I'm the ultimate arbiter of their moralities? Aren't they people unto themselves? Don't they have a will of their own?

I have never liked it. I hated it in NWN, I hated it in KotOR. Even if it hadn't just been Aribeth and Bastilla it had happened for (say it was Galen and/or Carth), I still would have hated it.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

MoobooMagoo
01.14.2013 , 04:12 AM | #5229
Quote: Originally Posted by PluckyDog View Post
Thank you to those who replied to my previous post.

On another note... I am wondering about those who are excited about the new SGR flirts, in the upcoming expansion or whatever, if they see the move as good thing or a bad thing? It sort of feels like, to me, that Bioware (and affiliates) are simply giving us a tiny bone to chew to keep our mouths busy. It doesn't seem fair. Or do you think it's an opening to more equal availability of SGR's in the future? Do you think it's best to put money into something that you hope gets better or to withhold that money as a warning to the company (that we want full SGR's or nothing)? What gets the message across better? Obviously, if you enjoy the game no matter what... the question is less important.

On a side note... I am wondering if I choose to cancel my subscription, do I lose everything (characters, gear, credits, etc.)? Or would they just continue on when/if I resubscribe in the future?
What I think it means is that SGR lines are being considered for all future content. Makeb is the first real story expansion the game has had so its good to hear that SGR flirts will be in. None of the companion stories are being expanded on, at least I don't think they are. Even if it is its a continuation of what has been in already instead of adding completely new stuff.
We will get SGR content fully integrated into our companions and class stories, it is just a lot of work so it will take a lot longer than originally anticipated.
Explorer: 80% Achiever: 60% Killer: 47% Socializer: 13%

Daniel Erickson and the Amazing Technicolor Dream-Abs

MoobooMagoo
01.14.2013 , 04:20 AM | #5230
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
That men are stubborn and intractable, and incapable of change?

The way it is at the moment, with just Jaesa, is okay. I'd prefer her to be romaceable for both sides of the force, but if it's just her, the implication is that it is only she that is so malleable.

I was going to put a similar suggestion in my post, but I was in a hurry at the time. (Hmm, that's interesting. All the force using companions bar one are female...)

Ultimately I don't like that idea any better, though. The idea that my PCs are the sole moral guide to their companions really just rubs me up the wrong way. Why is it that I'm the ultimate arbiter of their moralities? Aren't they people unto themselves? Don't they have a will of their own?

I have never liked it. I hated it in NWN, I hated it in KotOR. Even if it hadn't just been Aribeth and Bastilla it had happened for (say it was Galen and/or Carth), I still would have hated it.
Personally I love being able to change my companions based on my actions. I never viewed it as being the end all influence of their morality (even if, mechanically, that is whats happening), but that the main character is so influential and important to the companion characters that they have some sway over them. I mean, say you are extremely angry at someone (they murdered your parents or something) and you are about to kill them when one of your closest friends shows up and they say 'Hold on, remember your values. This person isn't really worth it. Don't become like him/her' you might decide to just let them go, but if that same person shows up and says 'This person is trash and they deserve to die. You should kill them before they can ruin someone else's life' then that might push you over the edge.
This is especially true in KotOR 2 because the exile's ability to feel the force from other people and manipulate it was kind of her thing and more or less the entire reason for that game.
Explorer: 80% Achiever: 60% Killer: 47% Socializer: 13%

Daniel Erickson and the Amazing Technicolor Dream-Abs