Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[minor spoilers] A little confused about sith names

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
[minor spoilers] A little confused about sith names

LuggerTheHyena
01.09.2013 , 06:25 AM | #1
I don't get it. What's up with sith names? When sith inquisitor becomes member of the dark council, he gets the name of Nox/Occulus/Imperius, yet the sith warrior does not, despite being dark lord of sith as well.
Darth Baras had his sith name despite being lord of sith, not darth, and he did not change his name after joining the Council or becoming the dark lord, yet Darth Thanaton had to become dark lord of sith to get his.
WHEN does sith get his 'special' name, after all?

Surinen
01.09.2013 , 07:04 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by LuggerTheHyena View Post
I don't get it. What's up with sith names? When sith inquisitor becomes member of the dark council, he gets the name of Nox/Occulus/Imperius, yet the sith warrior does not, despite being dark lord of sith as well.
Darth Baras had his sith name despite being lord of sith, not darth, and he did not change his name after joining the Council or becoming the dark lord, yet Darth Thanaton had to become dark lord of sith to get his.
WHEN does sith get his 'special' name, after all?
from what I see in SWTOR it depends on individual, his preferences/position/status among the Siths. Inquisitor was just a mere Lord who gained power and so Dark Council named him. Wrath on the other hand is above them and they would not dare name him like one of their own dogs - he is a Wrath, whenether Darth or Lord, it doesnt matter much as he is above those titles so it is up to his preferences - even Sith Emperor didnt call himself a "Darth" but a Lord, Lord Vitiate and who would stop him for naming himself a Darth.
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.

SithKoriandr
01.09.2013 , 07:54 AM | #3
I actually hated that they named my SI.

I go about proving how awesome I am, then they name me, and I just accept it? And having seen the end to the SW and SI storylines, I thought the SI one was much more impressive.

_Darkstar
01.09.2013 , 08:22 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I actually hated that they named my SI.
This.

I am Darth Yvi damnit!
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Filo
01.10.2013 , 03:29 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
This.

I am Darth Yvi damnit!
No, you're Darth Nox.
Vader wasn't named Darth Anakin, either.

Deal with it.
Are you the ultimate idiot? Click here to find out!

JacenHallis
01.10.2013 , 03:41 AM | #6
It should be noted that the Warrior never ascends to the rank of Darth in his story. The title is merely given due to outcry during beta that Inquisitors became Darths and Warriors did not. I believe the same was true of Consulars and Knights, with Consulars being granted the title of Master, and Knights not. I could be wrong about that, though, as I've yet to finish my knight's story.

If you check out the codex entry on "Sith Titles" available on Korriban, it says:
"Darth: The strongest Sith Lords ascend to the position of Darth. Many take a new name at this point, symbollically embracing their transformation into something greater."

So, not all Darths choose to take a new name. Most likely Vowrawn did not. Baras and Angral didn't either, I believe, as I recall both being called Lords in Threat of Peace, nor did Malgus (he took a new name before he became a Darth). We know Darth Thanaton did, and it is very likely that Darths Marr, Ravage, Mortis, Decimus and Rictus did, as well, considering their names.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

Surinen
01.10.2013 , 04:25 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JacenHallis View Post
It should be noted that the Warrior never ascends to the rank of Darth in his story. The title is merely given due to outcry during beta that Inquisitors became Darths and Warriors did not. I believe the same was true of Consulars and Knights, with Consulars being granted the title of Master, and Knights not. I could be wrong about that, though, as I've yet to finish my knight's story.

If you check out the codex entry on "Sith Titles" available on Korriban, it says:
"Darth: The strongest Sith Lords ascend to the position of Darth. Many take a new name at this point, symbollically embracing their transformation into something greater."

So, not all Darths choose to take a new name. Most likely Vowrawn did not. Baras and Angral didn't either, I believe, as I recall both being called Lords in Threat of Peace, nor did Malgus (he took a new name before he became a Darth). We know Darth Thanaton did, and it is very likely that Darths Marr, Ravage, Mortis, Decimus and Rictus did, as well, considering their names.
I think it is fair to assume that he surpasses Darth title by light years and he can easily choose to use it - but why would he, hes a Wrath, chosen of the Emperor and probably combined forces of all other Siths wouldnt stand a chance against him.
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.

_Darkstar
01.10.2013 , 05:13 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Filo View Post
No, you're Darth Nox.
Vader wasn't named Darth Anakin, either.

Deal with it.
Anakin was his Jedi name, he needed a new name when he because Sith. I was never Jedi, I didn't need a new name. Also my nametag shows Darth Yvi i am fairly sure.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

pudim
01.10.2013 , 05:35 AM | #9
but your ingame title is Darth <insert name here>

Why r u complaining?
You either subscribe, or you don't, cartel coins are useless

_Darkstar
01.10.2013 , 07:53 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by pudim View Post
but your ingame title is Darth <insert name here>

Why r u complaining?
I was just agreeing. Not much better to do at work ...