Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it worth buying Cartel Items?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is it worth buying Cartel Items?

Knightsire
12.31.2012 , 10:02 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by itsmymillertime View Post
The point of the cartel packs is not to turn them into credits, its for chance at some cool stuff.
You can get something you want faster if you sell the packs for credits and use these credits to buy what you want. The packs mostly have garbage in them except for a few rare exceptions and so the value of what you get on average is much less than selling the chance at something good.

The best way to afford/acquire what items you want from the packs is to become the middle man and resell the packs. Some direct purchases can be acquired this way as well and over the long term you can end up spending much less than playing the RNG game.

Projawa
12.31.2012 , 10:16 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by SoSickMinded View Post
I am just a bit curious about Cartel items... I'm new to the game, but after buying several packs, I've noticed I get nothing good and the few usable items are nearly worthless in the GTN.

So, is it worth buying Cartel Coins or should I just use credits to buy cartel items?
buy specific items you want with credits. Use cartel coins for unlocks or if you have lots of disposable $ buy cartel packs to sell on the gtn for about 300k a pop

SoSickMinded
12.31.2012 , 10:59 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by melodylane View Post
Is it worth it? I'd say yes.... IF your a sub. You get those monthly grants. And I use those to buy CC packs then... sell them on the GTN. Easy 350K credits a piece.
Wel, I am a sub, and I used the Coins and $5 extra to buy a few of the expensive packs, but got nothing worth anything, especially not 350k... I only got about 100k out of all 3 packs combined.... maybe I'm looking at the wrong packs, but I only saw 3 in the tab for packs and bought the most expensive...guess my luck sucks lol

After reading everyone's advice, I guess I'll stick to just using my monthly coins for stuff that I like otherwise, I'll just use credits for crystals and mounts... after discovering how to use crew skills, making 100k credits isn't as demanding as I once thought.

Happy New Years,everyone!

AuckaLukaum
12.31.2012 , 11:49 PM | #24
I am just a bit curious about Cartel items... I'm new to the game, but after buying several packs, I've noticed I get nothing good and the few usable items are nearly worthless in the GTN.

So, is it worth buying Cartel Coins or should I just use credits to buy cartel items?
The stuff from the packs you're are 100% better off just buying them off the GTN.

As for the rest of the stuff:
  • Armor sets are purely cosmetic
  • XP boosts are a significant help leveling alts
  • Space components can be purchased with in-game currency (commendations, etc)
  • The color crystals provide a significant stat bonus, percentage-wise, at low levels, that diminishes as you level

In the end, everything on the Cartel Market is available through in-game means somehow (GTN, commendation vendors, etc). With the direct purchases, at least you know what you're getting. Buying the Cartel Packs is a good way to burn off a little disposable income for fun (like scratch-offs), but not a good idea to count on getting good things from them.

Asha-D
01.04.2013 , 08:00 AM | #25
Do you guys recommend buying the more expensive packs or just the cheapest. I'm a new sub that has already bought some of these packs (and opened unfortunately) and can't remember if it distinguishes what pack you have once you've bought it in your inventory.

kamed
01.04.2013 , 08:06 AM | #26
I bought a bunch of packs and it was a waste of money. All they dropped was fluffy things I didn't need to play but look nice. I spent majority of my Cartel Coins on legacy unlocks and character perks that would benefit my characters.

Things like field respec, mail droid, repair droid and the companion affection buffs are awesome.

Uber_the_Goober
01.04.2013 , 08:08 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Asha-D View Post
Do you guys recommend buying the more expensive packs or just the cheapest. I'm a new sub that has already bought some of these packs (and opened unfortunately) and can't remember if it distinguishes what pack you have once you've bought it in your inventory.
each pack has a different set of items tied to it that you could randomly receive.

the more expensive packs DO NOT have a higher chance at the same items of the lower packs.

capiche?

Goretzu
01.04.2013 , 08:28 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by kamed View Post
I bought a bunch of packs and it was a waste of money. All they dropped was fluffy things I didn't need to play but look nice. I spent majority of my Cartel Coins on legacy unlocks and character perks that would benefit my characters.

Things like field respec, mail droid, repair droid and the companion affection buffs are awesome.

Yep there are much more sensible than gambling pack with very high odds of anything decent.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

AlienEyeTX
01.04.2013 , 08:45 AM | #29
I don't care about making credits from makes, I was just wondering if I should even bother buying the packs to get the stuff I want or just use my credits and buy the crystals and stuff I want.
If you are hoping for specific items, you should just buy them with credits. Hoping for a particular item from the packs will only lead to frustration and/or wasted money. However, if there's a bunch of stuff you want and you like the surprise of opening packs... go for it!
Be a lamb and click on this referral link, would you? You get free stuff and I get free stuff. Nothing to lose.

Arlon_Nabarlly
01.04.2013 , 09:10 AM | #30
I don't care about making credits from makes, I was just wondering if I should even bother buying the packs to get the stuff I want or just use my credits and buy the crystals and stuff I want.
If you really want a particular thing and it's available for direct purchase, then buy it. If you want a particular thing only available from packs, you're better off buying from GTN. If you don't have the money for the item, buy a few packs and sell them unopened on the GTN. I've bought 20-30 packs and my conclusion based on what I bought is you're likely to make more in credits by selling the unopened pack then hoping to get something worth selling inside it. There are about 10 items that you get multiple of in just about every other pack. Those items sell for under 3k and that's usually most of what you get. This even includes some of the more common pets and speeders.

I noticed that while market was on the PTS before it launched live I got a lot more rare items from packs. In the first 5 packs on the PTS I got both the throne chair and the Nilus mask vs the live server where I never got anything that rare in 20-30 packs. I think they changed the chances significantly between PTS and live. Two possible reasons for that:
a. (the conspiracy theory thinking) They wanted to trick people into thinking they had better chances so they'd spend more money when live.
b. (the logical thought process) They realized that the chances of rare items was too high while on the PTS and adjusted it for live.
c. (the bug theory) In either PTS or live the rates were bugged to either give too many or too few rare items. It was either fixed before live (if PTS was bugged) or never changed on live when they realized people would buy more this way.
d. (the optimistic thinking) They intentionally increased the drop of rare items on the PTS so that the rare items had a higher possibly of getting tested by players. The fact that some items got pulled when it went live due to bugs on those items somewhat supports this theory.