Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do *you* create a character personality?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How do *you* create a character personality?

rpeplins
12.31.2012 , 01:35 PM | #1
Getting near to wrapping up my 4th toon, got me thinking about how I decide what decisions to make as my toons progress.

I typically just pick an overarching character trait early (as in when I pick my name) and go with it.

For my Imperial Agent I decided that his goal was to try to remove the Sith influence from the Empire. So any way that I could work against the Sith and benefit the "normal" citizens of the Empire, I did it. No spoilers, but this ended up being an interesting way to play the storyline. Ended up vaguely light side.

For my Bounty Hunter I decided that I was not going to do unnecessary killing and the contract wasn't the only thing in my life, but if you tried to kill me, I killed you right back, this started me out down the pure neutral path. However, I also found that Mako turned me slowly to a kinder, gentler Bounty Hunter, which I found to be an interesting turn of events that I wanted to please a fictitious collection of 1s and 0s. Ended up significantly light side.

For my Sith Warrior I decided that his goal wasn't typical Sith powerbase, but rather to become the perfect weapon, with a sort of arrogant warrior code. Didn't kill unnecessarily, an honorable vanquished foe was reprieved unless betrayal was likely, however if you were weak, you deserved what you got. Ended up absolutely neutral.

For my Sith Inquisitor (which isn't finished yet) I decided to go the pure Sith powertrip route, if you irritated me off, you got shocked, if you looked at me funny, you got shocked, if I could shock you at any time, I did. Reveling in my new found freedom and power, if I can hurt other people to achieve my goals, I do it. So far, it's interesting, at dark 3 right now, but it can feel downright uncomfortable at times. Again an interesting feeling to generate from 1s and 0s.

So how do you go about crafting a set of rules to guide your character decisions? Or do you even bother, and instead just pick randomly, or whatever feels most right to your natural guidelines?

TheBBP
12.31.2012 , 01:38 PM | #2
Because I am weak at creativity in creating characters, I put a lot of me into them.
REPUBLIC TROOPERS
Crosswire - Heavy GunnerElíta-one - Combat Medic
Canonball - Pointman

Ebon Hawk