Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How can my character understand languages of races he didn't even know existed?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
How can my character understand languages of races he didn't even know existed?

Master-Nala
12.30.2012 , 10:43 PM | #11
Remember always that Star Wars is fantasy, not science fiction. Everyone has a magic doohickey that lets them understand any spoken language. Except the magic doohickey has a technological sounding name.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni & Hard-Top
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami, Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thofia

Ayradyss
12.31.2012 , 12:36 AM | #12
Actually, the real simple answer is that it's a game, not a simulation. This means the focus is on building a fun, engaging game, not in dutifully reproducing every last (often tedious, frustrating) detail. Same reason you don't see a toilet in your ship either. But . . . they must have some kind of facilities for those long trips, wouldn't you think?

AlexDougherty
12.31.2012 , 04:22 AM | #13
Actually the point about the toilet is a good one, I know somebody was complaining that the Jedi ship has no beds, but they didn't consider the lack of amenities (no shower either).
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

jedimasterjac
12.31.2012 , 04:33 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
Actually the point about the toilet is a good one, I know somebody was complaining that the Jedi ship has no beds, but they didn't consider the lack of amenities (no shower either).
They use Refreshers, not showers.
"Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you."

―Darth Traya, to the Jedi Exile

Forgon
12.31.2012 , 08:05 AM | #15
I always figured these characters had implants installed in their brain that made languages easier to learn.

As for why you understand Rakata, Esh-Ka, among other languages. The Rakata did briefly enter the known galaxy between the two KOTOR games, only to die out. If the Republic understood that they, "made claims" to have invented the hyperdrive and once ruled the galaxy, I think the Republic (and by extension, the Empire) would know their language at least to a certain degree.

Esh-Ka I got no explanation for.

Same with Mass Effect: how is it they have the technology to instantly translate alien languages to human language for Commander Shepherd to understand while keeping it matching the lip flaps and not even making a single mistake with the syntax and grammar despite giving no time to hear the speech before translating it?

Sometimes you need to let things go.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

AlexDougherty
12.31.2012 , 03:09 PM | #16
While the Rakata did invent the hyperdrive and once ruled most of the galaxy, their withdrawal from the galaxy was so complete that no trace of their language or culture was left, we know from Kotor that this was at lleast partially deliberate. This means translators would have no reference to work on.

And while translator device have existed, we know by Luke's time they we not in use. since they used C3-P0 as a translator for virtualy every language. So the question is whether the Kotor translator was a one off or not. And since everybody else is understanding everybody else with ease, irrelevant or technology level, such as
Spoiler

It is probable that the language barriers were just ignored
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Shadojack
12.31.2012 , 05:33 PM | #17
Well us common thugs, visiting different planets and dealing with a multitude of peoples, would probably pick up a language or two in our travels.

Also with a droid on every ship I can assume we have some form of translation device which connects us to the ship or droid. Might even be a stand alone system you wear in you ear.
Travel light, travel fast, and keep moving.

Negranit
12.31.2012 , 08:52 PM | #18
Quote:
And while translator device have existed, we know by Luke's time they we not in use. since they used C3-P0 as a translator for virtualy every language.
I never saw Han using C-3PO when talking to Chewbacca and he has quite a conversation with Jabba with no apparent translation at all (though of course it's possible that he could understand both wookie and hut, given his relations with both species).

Ranadiel_Marius
01.01.2013 , 08:10 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
While the Rakata did invent the hyperdrive and once ruled most of the galaxy, their withdrawal from the galaxy was so complete that no trace of their language or culture was left, we know from Kotor that this was at lleast partially deliberate. This means translators would have no reference to work on.
In Kotor 2 there is an item that has a description that either implies or states outright that the Rakata that Revan encountered re-entered the universe during the time between games. So there would have been some encounters with them to base a translation off of.
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)

_Darkstar
01.02.2013 , 04:05 AM | #20
This was one thing SWG had right, I loved having to learn languages from other people before I could understand them. The RP could easily be put back into games like this by giving you a choice of a few languages you knew before the story starts, and you have to learn the rest as you go. But the RP is taken out of every game these days.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!