Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
12.27.2012 , 06:04 PM | #4531
Yeah, over a year ago. By someone that left the company back in May.

We just want an update. Why is that so bad?

Oh and I was the one that provided those links. Any sort of question you can think of regarding the history of SGRs, it's in the FAQ. I'm happy to copy and paste any answer I have available.

JCisneros
12.27.2012 , 06:10 PM | #4532
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
o.O Or you can progress their stories without it having to be SGR. SGR isn't an option yet, soooo, why did you plan on it to begin with?

I mean, the choice is yours of course. Cancel your account. But this is really, all on you, not on BW or EA.
That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

But..yes it is on BW and EA. Based on their history with same gender relationships in game content, many of us who have been long time fans of BW and loyal customers anticipated SGR content. What we did not anticipate was it turning into a public relations three-ring circus.

Happy Holidays.

Palar
12.27.2012 , 06:21 PM | #4533
Interresting, there's a link inthe General Discussion thread, where they said they didnt include it initially due to money reasons.
The old Stephen Reid quote, from September 2011? That simply says they ran out of time, and it would be coming 'soon'.

natashina
12.27.2012 , 06:29 PM | #4534
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
The old Stephen Reid quote, from September 2011? That simply says they ran out of time, and it would be coming 'soon'.
I double checked and you're 100% correct.

However, Daniel Erickson did say as such.

Quote:
8) Why wasn't SGR in at launch?

Take it away again Mr Erickson!

Quote:
When we do this, we wanna do it right, we wanna do it with the characters that make sense, that we always knew that we wanted to do it for those, so you guys know and we've talked about it before, it ended up being a budget and scheduling issue. There are romance arcs that we wanted to do that didn't make it in the game, we knew which characters (I'm not gonna tell you)... [some audience joking about characters] So the short answer is, it's never changed, it's still coming, it's coming when full story comes, and when is full story coming? This year. So we are still on track.
Here's a link to the Daniel Erickson quote from the Guild Summit. I'll post the video.

To be blunt, we just want an update. Is it still about money? Again, why is it so wrong that we want an update, just like everyone else would with their preferred feature?

Oh and by the way, that information is now over 9 months old. It is also the last time they directly addressed the players about SGRs. We're more than due.

Zandilar
12.27.2012 , 07:08 PM | #4535
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I had not realised that World of Warcraft, Runescape, EvE, Guild Wars 2, Tera, Everquest, The Secret World and Star Trek Online (to name a few) had scripted and animated romances that players could partake in, like Star Wars: The Old Republic. Could you post examples?
Having been playing A LOT of the Secret World lately, a former long term player of WoW, EQ(1+2), STO, RIFT, Horizons, CoH/V, and a short term player of EvE and Pirates of the Burning Sea, I feel I can answer this question accurately.

The Secret World -
Spoiler

Pirates of the Burning Sea -
Spoiler

WoW, EQ(1+2), STO, RIFT, Horizons, CoH/V, and EvE - have/had no player romances to speak of. Most of them are/were not even fully voiced, and in all of them your character is mostly mute (with the exception of voiced emotes, which not all of them have/had). Many of them have no representation of LGBT people at all, and for those that do, representations are few and far between, often having to be read between the lines to be seen, and sometimes even being slightly homophobic in portrayal.

I have Guild Wars 2, but unfortunately my computer is in the shop getting fixed. Yay life.

Honestly, what we have in SWTOR is quite unique. Many new MMOs are following the fully voiced route (GW2 is, I believe, from what little I was able to play before my computer would freeze, shut off, or reset*), but none of them seem comparable to SWTOR in what they've done. Sadly, I think this aspect of the game (fully voiced mission briefings and story in which your character can interact and make decisions that have tangible effects), is probably what will ultimately kill it.

(* This was happening in SWTOR as well - so it's not a problem with GW2.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

natashina
12.27.2012 , 07:10 PM | #4536
Oh and Palar?

I'll see your lion and raise you The Three Stooges.

Triple facepalm. I've upped the ante my friend.

This is almost starting to sound like some bizarre poker game...

Palar
12.27.2012 , 07:22 PM | #4537
I had this, but I'll fold. (Never was good at keeping a poker-face. A poker-facepalm, as it were.) Back to waiting for answers... hopefully it cools down, the extended family want to get in some Mini-Golf before everyone heads home on the weekend.

QwibQwib
12.27.2012 , 07:41 PM | #4538
In response to "SGRs aren't in any of the top 10 MMOs, and therefore wouldn't be profitable" argument, my answer is this:

If SWTOR is indeed dying (which I doubt), it could use an influx of subscribers. How do you get people to buy your product? You provide something no one else has. And what does no one else have? SGRs.
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

Arglaar
12.27.2012 , 08:16 PM | #4539
I think right now, TOR needs to focus on getting/keeping more players with actual game content.
I'm not sure if anyone has replied to this yet as I haven't gotten to the end of the thread yet, but I wanted to take the time to say this:

Many people, myself included, do consider SGRAs as "Actual Game Content" and are eagerly awaiting something, anything, by way of a response from EA as to whether when/if they are going to be included in the game.

Just because YOU don't consider them content, does NOT mean that they aren't.

SithKoriandr
12.27.2012 , 08:31 PM | #4540
Quote: Originally Posted by Arglaar View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has replied to this yet as I haven't gotten to the end of the thread yet, but I wanted to take the time to say this:

Many people, myself included, do consider SGRAs as "Actual Game Content" and are eagerly awaiting something, anything, by way of a response from EA as to whether when/if they are going to be included in the game.

Just because YOU don't consider them content, does NOT mean that they aren't.
I said game content. I didnt call it non-content. Play. Instances, FPs, new quests.

Let me ask. You get the SGR, you going to keep rerolling to do those over and over and over again? People will do that for clicking 1-0 though. I don't suspect many would do it to marry Mako over and over again. I don't suspect people would do it again and again if it was my suggestion of a Cartel Market companion.

I'm not even against SGR (which it seems a few think I am with their replies). I'd go that route on a few characters as well (well my BH at least). I just don't thinkit's the profitable route to go.

And I'm not even against BW giving a word to the players. I do however think it might be dumb on their part to do so. If it's still planned but on the back burner, it's complaints. If it's not planned and canceled, it's complaints.

Not giving any word is complaints, but then it's just a complaint about no communication. Reading this thread you can already see if it's any of the first two answer I mentioned will have some yelling discrimination (okay...typing in all caps? Maybe yelling on youtube? Twittering furiously?)

So, out of those three complaints, I'd say suffer with the lack of communication ont he subject, and do it when they're ready with a "SURPRISE! HERE YOU ARE!"