Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
12.27.2012 , 12:56 PM | #4501
Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
Well, another thread has temporarily popped up in General. Anyone else want to go try and keep it alive and less bile-strewn before the inevitable merge/deletion?
Oh that thread.

I was going to play a little drinking game...take a drink every time someone uses a strawman in that thread.

Luckily, I didn't b/c I would have had alcohol poisoning by the 5th page.

Quote: Originally Posted by Quething View Post
I will admit to a certain fondness to the disingenuous "no really it's that I don't like any romance even though you know I tried and enjoyed a bit of the straight ones but only I should be allowed to do that not you gay gaymos" argument, though. It has a certain subtlety to it that can pull the unwary in, like a reverse form of concern trolling.
I do find that funny, yes.

"Oh, romances are so dumb but I make sure to do them on each toon and click every [Flirt] option available...but they're dumb and you don't need them lolz"

The funny thing is, they are probably helping our cause by doing them. I'm sure BW collects data on such things and by doing romances/using flirts, they are sending a message to BW that these kind of things are used/desired in game.

Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post

The trolls are sick of hearing about it?
Aw, their poor delicate sensibilities

Yeah, you'd think they'd stop reading/posting in the threads if that were the case.
Node guarder

VelvetSanity's Avatar


VelvetSanity
12.27.2012 , 01:15 PM | #4502
Trolls only get sick of something when they stop getting fed via responses. I've seen it too many times.
Pre-CU Bria refugee
www.therepopulation.com - sandbox MMO currently in alpha
classless, levelless, 3 playable factions, it even has ENTERTAINERS!
EA/BW: Thanks for the SGR update. Please tell us if timetables change again

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.27.2012 , 02:24 PM | #4503
Body Type 4, old massively scarred face, well written dialogue. Do you think people would still take the option or do you think people would skip it, as it doesn't gell with the majority of people's mental fantasies of their romances?

VelvetSanity's Avatar


VelvetSanity
12.27.2012 , 02:28 PM | #4504
As a long-term tabletop gamer, I'd say it would depend on the character I'm playing. Some of them might go for that, others wouldn't.

And I'm done putting my foot in my mouth in that thread in General. Contrary to how it looks in there, I do *not* have a foot fetish lol
Pre-CU Bria refugee
www.therepopulation.com - sandbox MMO currently in alpha
classless, levelless, 3 playable factions, it even has ENTERTAINERS!
EA/BW: Thanks for the SGR update. Please tell us if timetables change again

Quething's Avatar


Quething
12.27.2012 , 02:28 PM | #4505
Given that the most popular male LI in the Mass Effect series is a mandible-faced hideously-scarred giant scaly space dinosaur, I'm going to say that yeah, interesting character and well-written dialog (and a good voice actor) is plenty sufficient.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
12.27.2012 , 02:32 PM | #4506
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Body Type 4, old massively scarred face, well written dialogue. Do you think people would still take the option or do you think people would skip it, as it doesn't gell with the majority of people's mental fantasies of their romances?
Are you attempting to lure people in to say that yes, they do indeed have physical preferences that can affect their choices, then attack them for being shallow and "not following the cause"?

Scarred, Body Type 3/4 female, with an aggressive history of military pursuit and conquest is exactly the kind of woman my Juggernaut would find interesting (but then, I also believe her to be pansexual/polyamorous), however, my Sorcerer would likely not be attracted to a male type 4 and my Agent is more likely to be attracted to 2/3 than 1/4. Scars are irrelevant to me Sorcerer (a previous slave, would you imagine, she is Twi'lek) or my Agent, in spite of his own personal self-loathing and vanity regarding his own scars.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.27.2012 , 02:43 PM | #4507
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Are you attempting to lure people in to say that yes, they do indeed have physical preferences that can affect their choices, then attack them for being shallow and "not following the cause"?

Scarred, Body Type 3/4 female, with an aggressive history of military pursuit and conquest is exactly the kind of woman my Juggernaut would find interesting (but then, I also believe her to be pansexual/polyamorous), however, my Sorcerer would likely not be attracted to a male type 4 and my Agent is more likely to be attracted to 2/3 than 1/4. Scars are irrelevant to me Sorcerer (a previous slave, would you imagine, she is Twi'lek) or my Agent, in spite of his own personal self-loathing and vanity regarding his own scars.
Not at all.

I just hear comments of discrimination, when a lot of it seems to be people wanting the sexy yuri/yaoi fantasy in their head, and using words such as discrimation to try to fight for what they want.

Mind you, I'm not saying this is everyone, just thats how a /majority/ of the posts are coming off to me. But then, they'd deny it even if it was true, since it would look bad.

So the question I'm really curious about, is if it's about having a SGR option and a lack of discrimation or is it about a sexy fantasy? Could be both of course. However, if they went the body type 4 route ugly character, the OMG NO SGR *** DISCRIMINATION crowd would at least have their voices heard, and it would be interresting to see how often the option would be taken.

I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be taken by a majority asking for SGR. I admit this to myself as well, as my SI went for Andy over the oldish IA agent because I was all "Andy is way more sexy" of course, the personality of Andy is a bit suckie I was all "Why can't Andy be less kill everyone and be more like Mako/Vette personality wise" buuuut, I figure the game writers have their favorite companions as well.

Quething's Avatar


Quething
12.27.2012 , 03:00 PM | #4508
Hmn, what was I just saying a few posts back about concern trolling....

Like I said, given the popularity of the Garrus romance, I'm pretty sure an "ugly" character would have no trouble whatsoever picking up flirts from players if the writing and acting were of sufficient quality.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
12.27.2012 , 03:04 PM | #4509
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Not at all.

I just hear comments of discrimination, when a lot of it seems to be people wanting the sexy yuri/yaoi fantasy in their head, and using words such as discrimation to try to fight for what they want.

Mind you, I'm not saying this is everyone, just thats how a /majority/ of the posts are coming off to me. But then, they'd deny it even if it was true, since it would look bad.

So the question I'm really curious about, is if it's about having a SGR option and a lack of discrimation or is it about a sexy fantasy? Could be both of course. However, if they went the body type 4 route ugly character, the OMG NO SGR *** DISCRIMINATION crowd would at least have their voices heard, and it would be interresting to see how often the option would be taken.

I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be taken by a majority asking for SGR. I admit this to myself as well, as my SI went for Andy over the oldish IA agent because I was all "Andy is way more sexy" of course, the personality of Andy is a bit suckie I was all "Why can't Andy be less kill everyone and be more like Mako/Vette personality wise" buuuut, I figure the game writers have their favorite companions as well.
What makes you think that the people who want the fantasy (rightly or wrongly) adhere to conventional perceptions of beauty?

I'm a straight woman and I want SGRA's in the game so that I and others can enjoy them. Attack me for "wanting the sexy yuri/yaoi fantasy in [my] head" all you like - I know that's incorrect. You are going to likely ask me for my personal reasons for wanting this content, however, so I must as well outline them:

Yes, I do believe that the decision not to include same-sex/gender content for the this game was discriminatory, knowingly or otherwise. The further stubborn silence on the matter is merely insulting.

Intellectually I enjoy the nuances of gender identity, sexual preferences and sexuality (I consider myself to be a person who enjoys knowledge in and of itself, as an ends rather than a means), so seeing examples of it and the surrounding culture is always interesting.

And why does it matter so much to you what other people find attractive? You might as well change all companions into gnarled versions of themselves*, if you're so fascinated with the results. It seems to me you only want to have a companion who does not fit the conventional idea of beauty so that you can attack other people's preferences.

*Slipped there, but by god that was funny when I noticed it.

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
12.27.2012 , 03:31 PM | #4510
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I just hear comments of discrimination, when a lot of it seems to be people wanting the sexy yuri/yaoi fantasy in their head, and using words such as discrimation to try to fight for what they want.
So...what?...what do you say about those that want OGRAs to fullfill a "sexy fantasy"?

I don't see why this particular motivation is just a SGRA thing.

The various reasons people may want SGRAs is a separate concern from the fact that the option has been excluded while OGRAs are in abundance in game.
Node guarder