Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

End Game Crafting Changes for RotHC

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
End Game Crafting Changes for RotHC

DawnAskham
12.25.2012 , 03:30 PM | #1
IMO, current end-game crafting is an imbalanced joke and significant changes should be made to balance crafting as part of RotHC.

Changes I'd like to see include (in no particular order):

1 - Bound means bound, no ripping and sending bound mods to alts using legacy gear.
2 - Highest tier PVE items require mats that only come from highest tier PVE content (not space, not comms, not PVP, not CM).
3 - Mid tier items require mats that can be obtained from alternative sources.
4 - Schematics for highest tier items only obtainable from direct RE or drop of highest content (very low chance).
5 - Schematics for mid tier items can be obtained from alternative sources.
6 - No schematics can be learned by RE'ing a crafted item.
7 - Crew skills rebalanced such that each skill contributes equally to gearing (cybertech too powerful while synth / armor irrelevant).
8 - Mission skills rebalanced such that material supply is aligned with material demand (UWT metals too important while UWT cloth irrelevant).
9 - As new content is released, schematics and materials for the previous highest tier items become more readily available, with the newest tier items taking their place as rare and difficult to obtain.

I'm sure many others have lots of ideas that are much more detailed and specific on ways to improve crafting while improving the integrity of end game such that players are encouraged and rewarded for participating in end game content, not buying end game gear off the GTN.

Please share yours (though yes, the jaded part of me feels it won't matter as the devs will do whatever they feel like doing and even with the best of intentions, will screw it up somehow anyway).

finelinebob
12.25.2012 , 03:43 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
6 - No schematics can be learned by RE'ing a crafted item.
So, you're saying that all Base items (Premium or Prototype) that you buy from your Crew Skills trainer would have their Tier 1 and Tier 2 versions come from mission or loot drops? So, there would be no reason to buy any schematics at all from your trainer because no one wants green gear and that is all you would be able to produce?

Or do you mean something else here?
Jedi Guardian JonBonJovi'wan
"Wanted: Dead or Alive"
Defenders of Monkeys - Prophecy of the Five
DatacronHunter's Video Guides to Datacrons | Datacron Spreadsheet

DawnAskham
12.25.2012 , 04:56 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by finelinebob View Post
So, you're saying that all Base items (Premium or Prototype) that you buy from your Crew Skills trainer would have their Tier 1 and Tier 2 versions come from mission or loot drops? So, there would be no reason to buy any schematics at all from your trainer because no one wants green gear and that is all you would be able to produce?

Or do you mean something else here?
What I mean is removing the ability to take a mod crafted by another player, slot it in a piece of gear, remove it, and then be able to RE for a schematic as is happening with 61 / 63 mods today.

The alternative for balancing would be to just let anyone RE anything that has a possible schematic, regardless of whether it was crafted by another player, including orange shells, relics, ear pieces, implants and such.

Zarakaar
12.25.2012 , 06:53 PM | #4
So your alternative is to have it work exactly like it is working?

In my opinion, the widespread availability of the best crafted gear is a positive thing. There is no reason to prevent people from learning schematics by reverse engineering items from the GTN. The whole concept of reverse engineering supports that method.

People who convinced their guilds to let them RE the first few mods or drops of a kind got an advantage in the early sales, but things trail off after that.

The only problem I see right now is the lack of profitability in crafting augmentable items. This mostly stems from clueless crafters believing they can crit an extra implant/relic/etc and therefore not charging for crafting or marking up in any meaningful degree even where they don't benefit from the critical duplicate chance.

finelinebob
12.25.2012 , 07:58 PM | #5
What I mean is removing the ability to take a mod crafted by another player, slot it in a piece of gear, remove it, and then be able to RE for a schematic as is happening with 61 / 63 mods today.

The alternative for balancing would be to just let anyone RE anything that has a possible schematic, regardless of whether it was crafted by another player, including orange shells, relics, ear pieces, implants and such.
Thanks for the clarification. +10 to that!
Jedi Guardian JonBonJovi'wan
"Wanted: Dead or Alive"
Defenders of Monkeys - Prophecy of the Five
DatacronHunter's Video Guides to Datacrons | Datacron Spreadsheet

mothear
12.25.2012 , 08:55 PM | #6

If you don't want non-raiders crafting this gear then don't sell it on the GTN, keep it in guild. What you really seem to be saying is because you are one of the few that raid you should be able to hold the GTN to ransom and make millions of credits simply because your guild gave you the schematic. No thanks.

My wishes for crafting in the expansion:-

Provide new green trainer schematics up to level 55, what is the point in a non-raider crafting at all when you can only craft to 50 but level to 55? If they do this you can keep your mods and tiered gear, at least then I will have an alternative to aim for.

chapiteaux
12.25.2012 , 09:51 PM | #7
Wow,here we have seen "where's my billion profits" whiner again. All suggested changes leads only to monopolizing GTN by persons like thread starter.
As for notice-legacy system is designed for a such purpose-like transferring items between characters.Why should i waste another couple of month for gearing up my new character if i want to change faction or simply switch to other game role?

DawnAskham
12.26.2012 , 12:38 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post
If you don't want non-raiders crafting this gear then don't sell it on the GTN, keep it in guild. What you really seem to be saying is because you are one of the few that raid you should be able to hold the GTN to ransom and make millions of credits simply because your guild gave you the schematic. No thanks.

Provide new green trainer schematics up to level 55, what is the point in a non-raider crafting at all when you can only craft to 50 but level to 55? If they do this you can keep your mods and tiered gear, at least then I will have an alternative to aim for.
That isn't what I'm asking for at all. I'm actually asking for balance between crew skills while keeping crafting relevant without it taking away from top tier end game content.

It seems silly that right now I have low level cybertech and artifice alts who can craft current BIS items (63) and sell them on the GTN, while my 50 synthweaver and armormech characters cannot even sell the few Rakata (58) or lower items they can craft and for end-game gear are basically irrelevant.

If I was calling the shots, at this point in the game trainable schematics for non-BOP items would exist for everything up to Columi, schematics for Rakata would exist as drops, and from RE and comms, and schematics for BH would exists as drops or RE, with all requiring mats available through multiple sources.

However, schematics for DG (63) gear would only come from RE of DG gear with a very low chance for schematic, and would require rare mats that only dropped / came from DG gear RE.

Also synthweave and armormech would be able to produce useful items for all tiers, such as being able to craft a full piece of armor with mods or equal stats to armor with mods.

And lastly, legacy gear would no longer be capable of sending bound mods to alts.

BTW - Legacy gear was not designed as a way to send bound mods to alts, being able to use legacy gear to send bound mods to alts works because of the way the binding checks only look at the shell (along with Bioware being too lazy or unable to add checks for the mods).

If this was truly by design, wouldn't they just make all gear Bind to Legacy?

I mean why stop with just being able to send mods...why not allow sending of non-moddable armor, relics, implants, and earpieces to alts as well?

chapiteaux
12.26.2012 , 01:14 AM | #9
Orly mate?If it's not by design so why they give 2 full sets of empty moddable aromor bound not only to legacy but also to specific class?
Concerning implants i think it has been done for biochemics because they don't have nd-game crafting at all exept implants.As for non-moddable gear-why bound it to legacy while you can buy or craft it?For which purpose it should be use used when character overlevel it?

On the other side i agree with you that Armormechs and Synthweavers is quite useless now,but at least they can craft some pretty-looking armor sets. Armstech is useless from the game-launch.Augment and 26,27 barrels is only usefull things which can be crafted.

asbalana
12.26.2012 , 10:01 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by mothear View Post

I have to agree. If the only path ot higherst level crafting is raiding then clearly a small class of rich players with access to the best gear is created to the exclusion of everyone else. The highes level of crafting and most credits will just go to the few that are cashing in on their and their guilds raiding. To me that is not crafting, rather just collecting the rewards of following dev favored end game content.

No soloist or pvper can craft at the highes level. That does nor make sense, never has, and never will and is a good way of forcing people to eventually unsub.