Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Allow change to advanced classes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Allow change to advanced classes
 

A_nonymous's Avatar


A_nonymous
12.22.2012 , 01:07 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Erixander View Post
It's interesting to see so many people out to oppose this suggestion despite this kind of recustomization being fairly common in other games.

Like a group of anti player-choice shock troopers. I'm guessing you hate the idea of a hair stylist or some kind of appearance tab as well.
I think it's an apples and oranges comparison. There's a big difference between changing the appearance of your toon and changing your entire play style.
Gunwalker Legacy FTW.

erichough's Avatar


erichough
12.22.2012 , 01:30 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Erixander View Post
I find the points about how different the ACs are to be irrelevant.

1. Need different armor? Go get some. This is a a challenge for the person who chose to switch.

2. Need to learn to play again? Go do it. This is a challenge for the person that made the switch.

3. Don't like it? Don't do it. No one's making you change your character.
But the differences between AC's are relevant - not because of difficulties in adjusting to a change but because the AC's are all DIFFERENT CLASSES. You can pretend all you want but there are 8 classes, not 4, in this game. The fact that each pair of classes share a class story and level the same way until 10 was a design choice made to save on resources and has the bad result of confusing people into thinking that, forex, a sage and shadow share enough that switching between them is the same thing as respecing talent points in a WoW class - but it isn't.

I personally don't care whether AC change is implemented or not - if it is I certainly hope EA charges folks a ton of real money for it because the real result of AC change will be folks spending less time playing, not more, as it cuts into the game replayability since you no longer have to level 2 characters to play both linked AC's.

I personally find the game play different enough between all 8 AC's that I am willing to play all of them, even with all the repetitive content, but I get that other folks don't like re-running content and may want to experience the gameplay of all 8 classes, which is why I don't really care what happens in the long run. I do think folks who change their AC's are going to miss out on a lot of fun experiencing each class as it levels up and gains more abilities - and while the folks on this thread may decide that is ok I am fairly sure that once the ability is in the game new players will swap AC's without even realizing what they are missing (which is one reason I think it should be a one time only thing at BEST and should cost a ton - folks need to be sure its something they want to do).

Erixander's Avatar


Erixander
12.22.2012 , 02:01 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by erichough View Post
But the differences between AC's are relevant - not because of difficulties in adjusting to a change but because the AC's are all DIFFERENT CLASSES. You can pretend all you want but there are 8 classes, not 4, in this game. The fact that each pair of classes share a class story and level the same way until 10 was a design choice made to save on resources and has the bad result of confusing people into thinking that, forex, a sage and shadow share enough that switching between them is the same thing as respecing talent points in a WoW class - but it isn't.

I personally don't care whether AC change is implemented or not - if it is I certainly hope EA charges folks a ton of real money for it because the real result of AC change will be folks spending less time playing, not more, as it cuts into the game replayability since you no longer have to level 2 characters to play both linked AC's.

I personally find the game play different enough between all 8 AC's that I am willing to play all of them, even with all the repetitive content, but I get that other folks don't like re-running content and may want to experience the gameplay of all 8 classes, which is why I don't really care what happens in the long run. I do think folks who change their AC's are going to miss out on a lot of fun experiencing each class as it levels up and gains more abilities - and while the folks on this thread may decide that is ok I am fairly sure that once the ability is in the game new players will swap AC's without even realizing what they are missing (which is one reason I think it should be a one time only thing at BEST and should cost a ton - folks need to be sure its something they want to do).
In other words "I don't like it, I don't want it and others should be punished if they get it".

hallucigenocide's Avatar


hallucigenocide
12.22.2012 , 02:59 PM | #24
would'nt bother me if they gave in to this.. however i think that the whole advance class was a lazy move. would rather have them as 8 separate classes from the start with 8 different stories.

after leveling most of the classes i think the stories can get pretty bad for one advance class and really fitting for the other.

Erixander's Avatar


Erixander
12.22.2012 , 03:05 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by hallucigenocide View Post
would'nt bother me if they gave in to this.. however i think that the whole advance class was a lazy move. would rather have them as 8 separate classes from the start with 8 different stories.
I don't think they needed 8 classes at. Really this system could be run with the basic 4 with each class having a "Mindset" switch that they could flip (with a 30 minute) cooldown that would let characters choose one of 1 to 3 types of behaviors to work with.

Knockerz's Avatar


Knockerz
12.22.2012 , 10:23 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
The latest interview with Damion Schubert gave strong indications that AC change was going to be implemented in the future.
Yes, this is true. A good chance AC change will be implement with the cartel shop.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Less armour = moves faster = more dodging = less getting hit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Oh.. there is plenty of complaining in this thread. As well as demands, expressions of entitlement, and wild dreams.
Lovely Andryah the Forum Princess

Knockerz's Avatar


Knockerz
12.22.2012 , 10:24 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by hallucigenocide View Post
would'nt bother me if they gave in to this.. however i think that the whole advance class was a lazy move. would rather have them as 8 separate classes from the start with 8 different stories.

after leveling most of the classes i think the stories can get pretty bad for one advance class and really fitting for the other.
It was probably done like that to save money by not having to develop extra vo and stories.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Less armour = moves faster = more dodging = less getting hit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Oh.. there is plenty of complaining in this thread. As well as demands, expressions of entitlement, and wild dreams.
Lovely Andryah the Forum Princess

Kurugi's Avatar


Kurugi
12.23.2012 , 02:55 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Erixander View Post
In other words "I don't like it, I don't want it and others should be punished if they get it".
This is the problem with gamers today (and people in general really). They act like there should be no repercussions or consequences for their actions and choices in a game, especially in an MMO. Like if the mess up it's up to the developer to make it all better..like a mommy kissing her child's booboo.

Here's the reality of the situation: If you decided 20 or 30 levels down the road you wish you'd picked the other AC instead...that's your fault. Not the game's. Not the developer's. YOU.

YOU put your mouse cursor over the AC you wanted when the game told you the decision was permanent.

YOU said yes when the game asked if you were sure that's what you wanted to pick.

YOU.

If you have "buyer's remorse" guess what? Roll another character, get to 10, pick the other AC, level back to where you were. If you can't handle that you'd probably do yourself and everyone else a favor by unsubbing, going to play something rated "E for Everyone", and coming back when you're ready to ditch the pull-ups and put on the big boy underwear.

I have played MMOs that allowed you to change classes. My first MMO was Final Fantasy XI. Guess what happened in that game when you changed your class? YOU STARTED AT LEVEL 1! You still kept your old class at the same level and could freely switch back to it or any other class in the game anytime you wanted, but you couldn't go from a 75 paladin and decide "Oh I want to play a black mage now" and switch and presto you're a level 75 black mage.

I feel that for class changing to truly work the game has to be designed from the ground up with it in mind. It wouldn't work as a feature just thrown in willy-nilly at some point, and anyone who thinks it would is too narrow-minded in selfish about themselves to view it in the big picture.

Erixander's Avatar


Erixander
12.23.2012 , 03:41 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurugi View Post
This is the problem with gamers today (and people in general really). They act like there should be no repercussions or consequences for their actions and choices in a game, especially in an MMO. Like if the mess up it's up to the developer to make it all better..like a mommy kissing her child's booboo.

Here's the reality of the situation: If you decided 20 or 30 levels down the road you wish you'd picked the other AC instead...that's your fault. Not the game's. Not the developer's. YOU.

YOU put your mouse cursor over the AC you wanted when the game told you the decision was permanent.

YOU said yes when the game asked if you were sure that's what you wanted to pick.

YOU.

If you have "buyer's remorse" guess what? Roll another character, get to 10, pick the other AC, level back to where you were. If you can't handle that you'd probably do yourself and everyone else a favor by unsubbing, going to play something rated "E for Everyone", and coming back when you're ready to ditch the pull-ups and put on the big boy underwear.

I have played MMOs that allowed you to change classes. My first MMO was Final Fantasy XI. Guess what happened in that game when you changed your class? YOU STARTED AT LEVEL 1! You still kept your old class at the same level and could freely switch back to it or any other class in the game anytime you wanted, but you couldn't go from a 75 paladin and decide "Oh I want to play a black mage now" and switch and presto you're a level 75 black mage.
e
I feel that for class changing to truly work the game has to be designed from the ground up with it in mind. It wouldn't work as a feature just thrown in willy-nilly at some point, and anyone who thinks it would is too narrow-minded in selfish about themselves to view it in the big picture.
You have a problem of your own. You believe that the petty choices made here should have unnecessary and irritating consequences as choices do in real life. Are the choices you face in your day to day life so inconsequential and meaningless that you're trying to feel like your decisions here somehow have real weight?

I have a job and kids and a wife and a house and other things that really matter. When I play a game I don't hope that it will be something that csuses me petty inconveniences or makes me feel like I've wasted some of my game experiences. I hope that a game will be playable, passably written and will allow me the flexibility to wrest the maximum possible amount of enjoyment from them that I can.

You want difficult choices, obstacles, and wastes of time in your games because nothing in your life is meaningful enough for you and need to pretend that this is "important".

That's YOUR problem.

Kurugi's Avatar


Kurugi
12.23.2012 , 04:15 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Erixander View Post
You have a problem of your own. You believe that the petty choices made here should have unnecessary and irritating consequences as choices do in real life. Are the choices you face in your day to day life so inconsequential and meaningless that you're trying to feel like your decisions here somehow have real weight?

I have a job and kids and a wife and a house and other things that really matter. When I play a game I don't hope that it will be something that csuses me petty inconveniences or makes me feel like I've wasted some of my game experiences. I hope that a game will be playable, passably written and will allow me the flexibility to wrest the maximum possible amount of enjoyment from them that I can.

You want difficult choices, obstacles, and wastes of time in your games because nothing in your life is meaningful enough for you and need to pretend that this is "important".

That's YOUR problem.
I love how confrontational you are over something that you say isn't "important".

Obviously this game is important enough to you for you to waste your precious time posting on the forums about it.

I also love how you make completely blind and blatant assumptions about my personal life (which have nothing to do with this thread whatsoever) with absolutely nothing at all to base it on.

So, not only do you contradict the absolute HELL out of yourself, but you're also a hypocrite. Congratulations. Maybe you should go spend more time with your wife and kids instead of posting on here about unimportant things.

The problem is, you see the ability to change AC only being used in one way: by people who have had a change of heart in there decision and would rather be able to swap on the spot instead of starting all over.

What you don't even take a single solitary moment to consider is people who would use this feature in other ways, like, I dunno, swapping ACs because the one they play just got nerfed and/or the other one got buffed. Yeah, that wouldn't make game balance a living hell to deal with, especially since all it takes to make people whine and complain and reroll is often the tiniest of nerfs. But of course narrow-minded people like you can't see past your own selfish concerns and wants.

I truly do feel sorry for you if you do have a family, because thus far all you've been able to show in this thread is that you act like a spoiled little child.