Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Allow change to advanced classes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Allow change to advanced classes

natasevil
12.17.2012 , 10:42 AM | #11
I'm all for it now. I used to use my Vanguard as a rDPS but after they nerfed some of the ranges from 30m to 10m thats no longer viable

MarshalNeyo
12.17.2012 , 10:57 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Xargyn View Post
I've always been opposed to changing the advanced class. There's only a few choices we make that actually matter. This is one of them.

Besides, if you reroll then you can always choose the different path (light or dark) than you did the last time to see the differences.
I've always opposed the idea too but its sort of growing on me now. I honestly wish that at lvl 10 that you could play each AC for a certain amount of time before making your choice, that way you've got a taste of what each class is like and you can choose the AC that fits you best. Then we wouldn't have to worry about AC respecs in the future.

However, I don't think you should be changing your AC later on just because your spec you run got nerfed or the class got nerfed in general. What if juggs/guardians got nerfed and many of them wanted to switch over to a mara/sent because once again they got another buff? We'd start seeing a class unbalance and that's not something you want. If they do introduce AC respecs in the future, in my opinion it should be a one time choice, no second chances. Once you've changed, you've changed. Done.
Taco AKA The Living Taco Legend
LTL of The Bakery Clan
"Taco's for All, Death for Everyone Else."

Erixander
12.22.2012 , 10:42 AM | #13
It's interesting to see so many people out to oppose this suggestion despite this kind of recustomization being fairly common in other games.

Like a group of anti player-choice shock troopers. I'm guessing you hate the idea of a hair stylist or some kind of appearance tab as well.

xCompute
12.22.2012 , 11:13 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Erixander View Post
It's interesting to see so many people out to oppose this suggestion despite this kind of recustomization being fairly common in other games.

Like a group of anti player-choice shock troopers. I'm guessing you hate the idea of a hair stylist or some kind of appearance tab as well.
That is taking this a bit out of context =| AC is entirely to keep 8 completely different classes down to 4 different storylines. I don't see any other MMO that has this options aside from the now-failing Rift, in which that was really a core class design. It's like if WoW offered a class change from Warrior to Death Knight, the playstyle/gear/class would have to be re-done entirely.

Erixander
12.22.2012 , 11:19 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by xCompute View Post
That is taking this a bit out of context =| AC is entirely to keep 8 completely different classes down to 4 different storylines. I don't see any other MMO that has this options aside from the now-failing Rift, in which that was really a core class design. It's like if WoW offered a class change from Warrior to Death Knight, the playstyle/gear/class would have to be re-done entirely.
Getting new gear seems like a problem for the player that's unrelated to the argument. In WoW a tanking paladin has a completely different playstyle and armor than a healing paladin. That doesn't stop people in their tracks .

JamieKirby
12.22.2012 , 11:28 AM | #16
Not to mention the fact that 90% of all crafters don't craft anything beyond the stuff that makes them the most profit, they really couldn't care less about other players as long as their profit is there, so changing classes will be next to impossible to regear, unless the classes involved use the same level of armor, but going from a Juggernaut/guardian to a Marauder/Sentinel will require a massive gear change, so unless you craft the stuff yourself....it would be insane to change classes, assuming it was possible.

I personally think its a HUGE mistake to add it, if i they did.

caveslug
12.22.2012 , 11:45 AM | #17
I'm for it myself, as long as the CD for it is long, talking like 30 days. I don't want to see it like free respec for subs though.

Either way I'm sure we will see this in the cash shop for 2K-3K CC's.
#1 reply to all PvP threads.....L2P

Kitru
12.22.2012 , 12:40 PM | #18
Getting new gear seems like a problem for the player that's unrelated to the argument. In WoW a tanking paladin has a completely different playstyle and armor than a healing paladin. That doesn't stop people in their tracks .
There's a substantial difference between changing between a healing paladin and a tanking paladin in WoW and going from a Shadow to a Sage (or vice versa). The paladin, regardless of spec, maintains a constant and standard suite of skills that all specs have available to them. They also use the same type of gear, regardless of whether they are heal or tank or dps (all of them wear plate armorWhile the playstyle and the gear are different, there are still the same standard abilities. Sage to Shadow have roughly half of their abilities changing, coupled with a vast difference in how their resource operates, which creates a vast gulf in how the two different ACs play. The different specs in WoW still follow a roughly similar playstyle: rogues are all much like rogues, warriors like warriors, etc. A Sage and a Shadow play, from the abilities they use to the actual way in which they manipulate their resources, in completely different ways. Leveling to 50 as a Shadow does nothing to prepare you for how you play a Sage: the abilities are all different and the way you use your resources is all different. The same applies for every AC pairing for their base class: Scoundrels and Gunslingers have the vast disconnect between Stealth + Upper Hand and cover; Sentinels use Zealous Strike as their primary Focus gain whereas Guardians use Sundering Strike (not to mention the difference between using heavy armor for survivability compared to medium armor and massive amounts of powerful low CD survivability CDs and the addition of Centering stacks). About the only class that you could feasibly do it with is Trooper because VGs and Commandos both use remarkably simple playstyles with little difference in fundamental playstyle between the two.

Respecing AC is vastly different than respecing your skill tree. With a skill tree respec, you still have the same fundamental class that you're keeping: the same default abilities and the same resources. With an AC respec, you would be changing more than half of your default abilities (re: the ones you actually use as part of your primary rotation rather than those that just get tossed off your bar because they're not useful) along with a substantial alteration in how the class operates on a fundamental level. As such, they're not really anything even remotely close to the same thing.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

xCompute
12.22.2012 , 12:44 PM | #19
Right, and changing from a tank spec to DPS spec on my juggernaut is any different? Changing AC's would be closer to paying Blizzard 25$ to go from Paladin to Druid almost, I don't see any sense in it.

Now *if* it came out, I'd think the cost and/or cooldown should be based off character level. Such that let's say a lvl 50 would pay 2.5k CC with a 60-day cooldown, but a fresh lvl 20 would pay maybe 500 CC with a 7-day CD for instance.

Erixander
12.22.2012 , 12:56 PM | #20
I find the points about how different the ACs are to be irrelevant.

1. Need different armor? Go get some. This is a a challenge for the person who chose to switch.

2. Need to learn to play again? Go do it. This is a challenge for the person that made the switch.

3. Don't like it? Don't do it. No one's making you change your character.