Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Importance of Player Feedback with the New Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Importance of Player Feedback with the New Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zek_Modin
12.12.2012 , 10:35 AM | #311
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkLordKvall View Post
Honestly this fixes the main two problems I had with the free to play option- the character and skill limits. Everything else is primarily cosmetic in my opinion. Those two things allow free to play to be the full experience. Is it perfect? Maybe not, but I think it's incredible for being able to play a game like this for zero cost. Keep up the good work!
I agree. F2Per's be thankful you didn't have to pay $77 for 6 months of play with all of the glitches associated with last years release. I am of the opinion that something, whether restricted or not, is better than nothing and prior to the F2P release, that is exactly what you got: nothing. I have no issues with F2Per's other than they are apparently whining about not having "Full access" status. If you want to do it SUBSCRIBE like the rest of us!

Atrimentus
12.12.2012 , 03:34 PM | #312
Quote: Originally Posted by Mizue View Post

Dude... whathell you're smoking? I can get every single unlock for less than 10k CC except for the cargo/inventory ones.

Unlock: Crew Skill Slot - 945 account wide
Authorization: Crew Member Appearence 725 account wide
Access Authorization: Section X 1350 account wide
Authorization: Artifact Equipment 2700 account wide
Authorization: Event Equipment Requisition 400 account wide
Customization Control: Display Titles 200 account wide
Customization Control: Hide Head Slot 775 account wide
Customization Control: Unify Colors 775 account wide
Customization Control: Display Legacy Name 200 account wide

8070CC. The rest of the unlocks you can get by playing the game (race unlocks/speeder unlocks), by buying this ammount of CC u're already a Prefered player, so you'll gain for "free"

- 2 crew skills
- sprint at lvl 1
- at least 1 Cargo hold unlocked

Anyways... 8070 is still the same price as paying at least 5 months of subscription... it's not a lot, but's still more than a lot of ppl is willing to pay.

Anyways, the credit cap for Prefered players HAVE TO GO and the XP penalty as well . Aside from that i don't have a lot to complain about the prefered players restrictions. And for F2P i think it's fine for a "demo" of the game.
The problem with that is that ZERO new f2p players are expecting to play something as long term as 5 months, so it's hard to justify a $60+ purchase on a game that has been struggling to grow for months . EA/Bioware can't be picky considering their reputation with the game over the past 12 months. Even as a new sub I'm not expecting anything more than 3 months because EA/Bioware are showing no signs of changing their current trend of milking subs and veterans with packs only. They're not being clear if they plan on doing anything about F2P but more importantly, if they plan on doing something about their cartel market prices (which no one is falling for, 1200 cc for a reskinned set really?). I'm not confident in their ability to keep this game out of the water by just selling packs. They need to diversify and put in place ways to entice people to buy more cartel market stuff and just packs and one way to do that is with reasonable prices that are accessible to more people. They need to put in place a better F2P system that can guarantee new players every month because the current isn't and WILL NOT do it. This game will not remain afloat with the current population (especially since some people will eventually get tired of packs). They need to act pronto before the attention the F2P shift brought fades away.

Myriandore
12.12.2012 , 03:48 PM | #313
my take on f2play?
cynical all across the board - especially towards subs.
I cancelled my sub.

if they don't end up binning the game erasing 1000 of chars like I heard it happened in the previous SW mmo, I might come take the temperature now and then see if they've cleaned up their act.

Macheath
12.13.2012 , 10:25 AM | #314
These changes are a step in the right direction.

- Additional hotkey bars.
- Additional character slots.

Now, I'd ideally like to see some of these handed out to the standard free-to-play crowd (I've said before that you absolutely require 3 hotkey bars to play any class in the game at higher levels), but at least now these features are available for the one time purchase of "preferred" status, instead of requiring a full subscription or requiring multiple purchases.

I still believe that the standard F2P options should be called a "trial", with the preferred status as the "full" F2P option. The optics would have been much better. Instead of offering one of the most restrictive F2P options the MMO market has ever seen (and far worse than their main competition, GW2) you would instead be offering one of the most expansive "free trials" ever seen, with a full time F2P option that could perhaps begin to compete with GW2.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

DeadlyConqueror
12.13.2012 , 11:19 AM | #315
Quote: Originally Posted by Myriandore View Post
my take on f2play?
cynical all across the board - especially towards subs.
I cancelled my sub.

if they don't end up binning the game erasing 1000 of chars like I heard it happened in the previous SW mmo, I might come take the temperature now and then see if they've cleaned up their act.
This.

CrownofGold
12.13.2012 , 09:12 PM | #316
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesDisaster View Post
I just canceled my sub in preparation of going F2P, but then I did some quick calculations and realized it would cost me well over $60 to acquire account-wide authorizations for all the good stuff that makes this game complete (purple gear, customization options, etc...).

I already bought the game. I bought the collectors edition and that proved to be a gigantic waste of money. I don't want to pay for this game AGAIN after already having been subscribed for an entire year!

EA/Bioware really knows how to alienate their customer base and piss off some of their most loyal followers. I'm done. I'm disheartened, resentful, and burnt out. Thanks for ruining what could have been an awesome game. Instead of recommending this game to my friends I'm telling them all to steer clear.
So let me get this straight: you were under some misguided impression that some how, some way the Free-to-Play option was going to be better, or possibly even equal to, the experience of a subscription? You have no one to be angry with but yourself. This is a business. $15.00/month is really nothing if you make even a decent living.

The choices are to at least support SWTOR with a sub or by purchasing unlocks as a F2P and stick with it while you are having fun OR stick to something else, which it is apparent you will now do.

I'm sorry buddy, but your anger can only be directed at yourself.

Cheers.

MitchPB
12.14.2012 , 03:27 AM | #317
Quote: Originally Posted by CrownofGold View Post
So let me get this straight: you were under some misguided impression that some how, some way the Free-to-Play option was going to be better, or possibly even equal to, the experience of a subscription? You have no one to be angry with but yourself. This is a business. $15.00/month is really nothing if you make even a decent living.

The choices are to at least support SWTOR with a sub or by purchasing unlocks as a F2P and stick with it while you are having fun OR stick to something else, which it is apparent you will now do.

Cheers.
^It amazes me how many people expect everything to be handed them on a silver platter.
<BOG>
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists> | <Midian>

Darkness_Squall
12.14.2012 , 04:07 AM | #318
Quote: Originally Posted by CrownofGold View Post

Cheers.
$15 is not "nothing" no matter how much money you make, it's $15. $15 a month for a year isn't "nothing" either, it's $180. If your significant other or kid or whatever happens to play, double that to $360. Furthermore, last I checked, video games weren't an exclusive, adult-only medium. No doubt many of SWTOR's players don't have an income, and have to ask their parents to add $15 to their monthly bill so they can spend more time on their computer.

Seriously, just because you view dollars as pennies doesn't mean the rest of the world does.

Brexten
12.14.2012 , 09:40 AM | #319
You just ruined it with 1.6... I can't believe you support P2W so fast *sigh* Maybe I should just cancel... Becuase that is the only thing that you would deserve for how you treat your customers Bioware...

Tylivis
12.17.2012 , 12:14 AM | #320
Quote: Originally Posted by Insidion View Post
No, no, a thousand times, no!

What you are saying is "all casual players should be able to be free-2-play and get all casual content" because they don't play very often? No way. If you want access to everything, subscribe.
agree 100% shouldn't get options to buy anything like, subscribe or dont f2p think not a bad idea to try and reboost the numbers they lost to bad game management.