Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are PvP builds viable in Ops?

lord-durpp
12.09.2012 , 02:37 PM | #11
what about those hybrid tankasin builds?

ArchangelLBC
12.09.2012 , 04:43 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by lord-durpp View Post
what about those hybrid tankasin builds?
Awful for operations. Hybrid Tankasin builds in PVP are all about utility. Utility which doesn't really matter in PVE. In PVE you want full kinetic if tanking. If DPSing you'll want WAY more DPS than you can output in Hybrid spec.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

xGBox
12.09.2012 , 07:09 PM | #13
You just have to look at the skill tree and see if it's viable. Imagine fighting an operations boss. Because these are the fights that actually matter in PvE, you have to see if the skill points you've applied will actually make you more effective in a boss fight.

For example, anything that grants or improves anything about slows, stuns, speed, sleeps, and stuff like that is, more times than not, useless in a PvE environment. While it's definitely useful in PvP, most boss fights in PvE will have immunity to such effects, which make your skill points worthless and could be better invested in other places.

Please don't follow cookie-cutter builds from places like Noxxic to the T. Actually read what the skill does, then make a judgment call. That's how you get good.

Dragonbgone
12.09.2012 , 08:06 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by xGBox View Post
Please don't follow cookie-cutter builds from places like Noxxic to the T. Actually read what the skill does, then make a judgment call. That's how you get good.
This. You need to make your own judgement call. Places like Sithwarrior.com (part of MMO-mechanics) encourage discussion and make you think about what would be best in a big melting-pot of ideas.
. : Messores Republicae : .
Reapers of the Republic

lord-durpp
12.09.2012 , 11:04 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
Awful for operations. Hybrid Tankasin builds in PVP are all about utility. Utility which doesn't really matter in PVE. In PVE you want full kinetic if tanking. If DPSing you'll want WAY more DPS than you can output in Hybrid spec.
i was just wondering on that.. no that i have to worry, im full deception

anstalt
12.10.2012 , 05:13 AM | #16
I think the maximum DPS needed to beat a hardmode Ops boss is something like 1350/1400 DPS for the 4 main dps players (except on bosses like fabricator / kephess in tfb which both have massive debuffs). As far as I'm aware, every single DPS talent tree in the game is capable of reaching that level of DPS. However, some trees will have a harder time than others so at that point it's going to come down to gear/player skill.

Good example of this is infiltration spec for shadows. Balance spec has higher sustained dps so is the usual go-to build for raiding, but infiltration is more bursty so is more for pvp. However, inf can pull 1600dps+ if played and geared correctly so it is more than capable of clearing all bosses in the game, it would just be easier if you respecced to balance.

My advice would be the same as others though: fork out for field respec, be a subscriber and just respec depending on what content you are doing.
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

JacksonMo
12.10.2012 , 07:43 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Dragonbgone View Post
The middle tree for a gunslinger is useless. DF and SS are both viable in the endgame PvE.
How is it useless?

Infalliable
12.10.2012 , 08:56 AM | #18
Generally, any non-gimmicky PVP build will be okay for PVE. It's not optimal, but you can clear most content with it. The important thing is you're specc'd to fullfill one specific role and not be a hybrid (like a tank/dps hybrid), in general.

Quote: Originally Posted by JacksonMo View Post
How is it useless?
It's not useless. It does tend to have lower single target damage than the other two though, but it's not that bad.

Dragonbgone
12.10.2012 , 09:41 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by JacksonMo View Post
How is it useless?
Quote: Originally Posted by Infalliable View Post
It's not useless. It does tend to have lower single target damage than the other two though, but it's not that bad.
You're right, my use of the word useless was a hyperbole. The spec is awful compared to Marksman/Sharpshooter and Lethality/DF because it has not been able to put even close to the same numbers on the board in PvE Endgame. If you're a Sniper/Gunslinger and you're not close to the top then you're doing something wrong. I will say though that the spec does offer the highest energy regeneration rate out of any of them.

Incendiary grenade is an 18 second stationary dot, bosses usually move around. There's also a lot of lost points to defensive stats. It does offer more survivability, but if you can do the mechanics at least halfway right in most of these operations then you don't need it.
. : Messores Republicae : .
Reapers of the Republic