Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guilds Farming Dreadtooth in multiple instances

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Guilds Farming Dreadtooth in multiple instances

Brat-a-tat-
12.05.2012 , 08:11 PM | #1
My guild was grouping up to fight dreadtooth, we saw a pub guild was all there so we switched to the other instance of section x. There was no one there. As we all started heading out to the area, the pub guild that had just downed him in instance 1 all switched to instance 2 and killed him again.

Can something be done so this doesn't happen. It would be very uncool if one guild could monopolize both instances of the area and all dreadtooth kills for multiple hours.

Thanks
-Navari

AshlaBoga
12.05.2012 , 10:38 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Brat-a-tat- View Post
My guild was grouping up to fight dreadtooth, we saw a pub guild was all there so we switched to the other instance of section x. There was no one there. As we all started heading out to the area, the pub guild that had just downed him in instance 1 all switched to instance 2 and killed him again.

Can something be done so this doesn't happen. It would be very uncool if one guild could monopolize both instances of the area and all dreadtooth kills for multiple hours.

Thanks
-Navari
The issue is that you saw a pub guild about to fight Dreadtooth in instance 1, and then swapped over to instance 2 but they'd already killed him and then swapped over to instance 2 before you downed him. What exactly happened between you switching and them killing him? Are you on a PvP server and got ganked? Or did someone DC and you were waiting for them to come back.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

Brat-a-tat-
12.06.2012 , 07:45 AM | #3
We were waiting for the rest of our group to get planet side, waiting for some long, long, long load screens to finish.
We are not on a pvp server, we did not harass them (we were very tempted), and they did not harass us. We didn't get a chance to pull the boss.

And yes were were still grouping up when they came and downed him in the second instance. My guild will obviously have another opportunity to down him no question, I am posting this because we noticed what they were doing and saw how much of an issue this could create across the server.

I don't think one group should be able to farm the boss in multiple instances.

JFerret
12.06.2012 , 08:02 AM | #4
People have been telling Bioware since Nightmare Pilgrim was released that they need to instance these world bosses but they havent listened, if they had instanced it they could control the amount of times a player can kill him in a certain period, multiple groups could kill him at the same times avoiding unnecessary griefing, and no-one could interfere with the fight while not being grouped in that instance.

So lots of solutions would be brought in if they instanced them yet they dont and havent so dont hold out much hope of them doing something about this.

Ephesia
12.06.2012 , 09:35 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JFerret View Post
People have been telling Bioware since Nightmare Pilgrim was released that they need to instance these world bosses but they havent listened, if they had instanced it they could control the amount of times a player can kill him in a certain period, multiple groups could kill him at the same times avoiding unnecessary griefing, and no-one could interfere with the fight while not being grouped in that instance.

So lots of solutions would be brought in if they instanced them yet they dont and havent so dont hold out much hope of them doing something about this.
But then, they wouldn't be world bosses any longer...
Ephesia, Level 55 Jedi Guardian
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Member of Catalyst

Suzina
12.06.2012 , 09:52 AM | #6
I believe it's a 20 to 30 minute respawn. I recall waiting many hours for boss spawns in the open world in older MMOs. This is a bone thrown to the fans of spawn camping. You can either use /say to ask the pubs nicely to save you one while you get ready, or you can wait until you are all ready then pounce when it spawns.
Member of Bane Fleet

thasensei
12.06.2012 , 12:20 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzina View Post
I believe it's a 20 to 30 minute respawn. I recall waiting many hours for boss spawns in the open world in older MMOs. This is a bone thrown to the fans of spawn camping. You can either use /say to ask the pubs nicely to save you one while you get ready, or you can wait until you are all ready then pounce when it spawns.
The problem with this - specific to Dreadtooth - is that he gets harder every time he respawns. As I understand it, the only ways for him to drop down to his base difficulty are for Section X to empty out (which never happens) or through the Tuesday weekly reset.

Arahakust
12.06.2012 , 01:13 PM | #8
I don't see a problem to doing anything. If a guild has the resources to monopolize Dreadtooth, why shouldn't they be allowed to do so? World bosses aren't instanced for a reason and it's because they were intended to be a free for all, first come first serve. I am very vigilant about getting people on and grouped on on Tuesdays or whenever servers reset to try and get kills in because many people in my guild want to do it. Not only do I have to get a proper group going, I also have to fend off any would be competitors that try and snag him away from us, both opposite and same faction. I've had many opposite faction members come in while we were attempting to kill him and disrupt our kill, thus requiring more man power to come in and keep them at bay. I've also had same faction people come in and try to wipe us as well. Seeing this, why would I not kill him as many times as I can before it becomes impossible to do so?

It is a selling point for my guild and a good one at that; essentially it will make groups have to either join us or find another way to get to him. If anything, it provides for a nice bit of competition in the open world, something that isn't very prevalent in this game.
-=Memories of Xendor=-

youtube.com/memoriesofxendor

digdoug
12.06.2012 , 03:53 PM | #9
Working as intended.

To get World Bosses you need three things, Organization, Speed, and Strength. You seemed to be missing at least two of those and as such you lost your shot to a group that had all three. If your group rolled up and saw the other group fighting him and quickly switched zones you would have had him easily, the fact that you were not even gathered yet made losing him a foregone conclusion.

DarkhorseForLife
12.06.2012 , 04:29 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Arahakust View Post
I don't see a problem to doing anything. If a guild has the resources to monopolize Dreadtooth, why shouldn't they be allowed to do so? World bosses aren't instanced for a reason and it's because they were intended to be a free for all, first come first serve. I am very vigilant about getting people on and grouped on on Tuesdays or whenever servers reset to try and get kills in because many people in my guild want to do it. Not only do I have to get a proper group going, I also have to fend off any would be competitors that try and snag him away from us, both opposite and same faction. I've had many opposite faction members come in while we were attempting to kill him and disrupt our kill, thus requiring more man power to come in and keep them at bay. I've also had same faction people come in and try to wipe us as well. Seeing this, why would I not kill him as many times as I can before it becomes impossible to do so?

It is a selling point for my guild and a good one at that; essentially it will make groups have to either join us or find another way to get to him. If anything, it provides for a nice bit of competition in the open world, something that isn't very prevalent in this game.
I MIGHT be a little biased since Tensa is an officer in my guild, but THIS ^
Moxboss, Founder of now defunct <Memories of Xendor> on POT5
Darkhorse, Shadowcolt, Blacksteed, Duskfilly
Dimstallion, Shadepony, Luridfoal, Murkgelding
Check out MoX Parser! Real time raid meters and parsing!