Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to run SWTOR on Linux/WIne

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How to run SWTOR on Linux/WIne

rawfox
11.18.2012 , 11:02 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by alexzk View Post
Also here:

Creating interfaces...
bwa::RemoteMetricsCallbacksHandler::IID
bwa::RemoteRendererInterface::IID
WARNING: Slow RemoteRenderer connection (1.24 seconds)

That is time when HDD is hard going after huge pause while game starts. I suspect it can be something with sockets emulation or memory mapping emulation. However, I have biggest game's files on SSD + swap on SSD so not sure why HDD should go.

Any ideas what to check? Maybe different swap style? Windows "connects" exes or any other files to swap. They dont moved physically into, they just become part of memory space. So if game do same with that huge files, what will linux do ? Cache it in memory/swap? It can take time to load 20 Gb yes...
Try to switch off sound at all.
I'd use winecfg on a first try.
When there is a performance incrase, you know its the sound thingy.
What hardware do you have ?

I can be wrong, but out of experience ... the game isnt really playable with a dualcore processor.
I had one myself before, while i can say so only about AMD processors.
So if you got a dualcore under Linux, playing swtor with wine, it could really be bad, so that there may be not enuff ressources left for sound.
Now, on my octocore, wine scales over 4 cores and i have ~50 fps.
Nevertheless, the game performs ofcause mutch better on Windows *sight*

alexzk
11.18.2012 , 11:56 AM | #22
When somebody says "isnt playable" I imagine something like 0-5 FPs 10-15 is hard and 15+ is just good.
Actually game is just bad made. Void Star is almost unplayable on wine/windows. Last Denova WZ is just going 30FPs around, but has more details like grass.

But that post was about initial loading. It takes 5 mins to load...also game has option to start single core mode. Will try to force it for tests

edit: it's not 2 cores, it is fork(). should be single process or 2 of them. Will try tomm some fights into single one.
There is no ignorance - there is knowledge.

alexzk
11.19.2012 , 12:14 AM | #23
Ok guys, I have a question.

There is command line:

wine explorer /desktop="swtord",1000x600 launcher.exe

Is any way to do the same in different way without instancing explorer with launcher inside? Maybe some global wine's variable I should set before like:

VARIABLEX=1000
VARIABLEY=600
wine launcher.exe

Because, launcher does pathches like downloading news and when it do (1) line fails to start it. I need to change global wine settings by mouse clicking which is borrying.

KorrodeAU
12.02.2012 , 09:30 AM | #24
So I hear the map marker bug (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32092) doesn't have a lot of impact on capped toons as they're not actively questing. I however only just started playing yesterday, so it's quests galore, and thus regular crashing.

Anyone know of a temporary workaround to stop he game crashing while we wait for Wine devs to figure out the deal?

rawfox
12.05.2012 , 10:25 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by KorrodeAU View Post
So I hear the map marker bug (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32092) doesn't have a lot of impact on capped toons as they're not actively questing. I however only just started playing yesterday, so it's quests galore, and thus regular crashing.

Anyone know of a temporary workaround to stop he game crashing while we wait for Wine devs to figure out the deal?
There is some people already nagging their heads over this, but its a tricky *****.
As soon as there pops a solution, it will spread fast, im sure.

1st place for informations about this is:
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32092

alexzk
12.05.2012 , 04:40 PM | #26
Well, well, as we mentioned above game had sound problem. It's not only SWTOR but common WINE problem, others games like Skyrim suffer too.

I have couple audio devices, embedded and USB wireless dongle. It was going more-less with wired (until i finally broke wires) but it was horrible with usb-dongle. I assumed it's some caching.
So:
1. run "alsamixer" in command line, press F6 (select device option) and record device number. For example it says:
"1. 2.4G wireless". - so I record number 1 for the dongle.

2. open file ".asoundrc" in your home folder (or create one if does not exists), add text:

pcm.heads {
type hw
card 1
period_time 0
period_size 4096
buffer_size 131072
rate 44100
}
ctl.heads {
type hw
card 1
}

where "card 1" has number we recorded above.

3. Reloging so changes will take effect.

Now, i can hear just good sound into swtor/skyrim using USB dongle. And it looks like game is smother going now too.

You may want to investigate http://alsa.opensrc.org/Usb-audio#Tu...imal_latencies as well.

TangledDruid
12.30.2012 , 05:15 PM | #27
I got this working with 64bit Mint Nadia
www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5654104

Jontn
03.09.2013 , 01:13 PM | #28
To prevent the game removing symbolic links on those two files, I suggest you to juste remove write permissions to the directory containing those files itself, wich is "/home/USER/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/SWTOR/drive_c/users/USER/Local Settings/Application Data/SWTOR/swtor/", but leave the write permission to "links" and the subdirectory "settings".
This will prevent creating/deleting files/directories in "/swtor" and allow you to write erase the data into files/directories already present in it. This work well for me.

Keeperols
07.30.2013 , 04:21 PM | #29
Sweet as of Today at least (as far as i know) You no longer have to run explorer desktop @ 1000X614
the short launcher update today no-longer has the black background in explorer, so i turned off the desktop sizeing, and it works like it should Or maybe its just lucky me...

Unfortunately mouseover any AREA Quest text/icon on the map/ minimap/ or quest trackter still restults in a freeze/crash. Oh well 95% there

Ubuntu 13.04
AMD Phenom II x6
ATI HD 6800

Keeperols
09.09.2013 , 04:20 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Jontn View Post
To prevent the game removing symbolic links on those two files, I suggest you to juste remove write permissions to the directory containing those files itself, wich is "/home/USER/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/SWTOR/drive_c/users/USER/Local Settings/Application Data/SWTOR/swtor/", but leave the write permission to "links" and the subdirectory "settings".
This will prevent creating/deleting files/directories in "/swtor" and allow you to write erase the data into files/directories already present in it. This work well for me.
This is the method i used, but i still don't see any performance gain. I can see the ramcache is working properly by entering:
$ df -H | grep ramcache

output:
$ tmpfs 210M 2.3M 208M 2% /ramcache

and both files are being used while the game is running.

also Has anyone figured out how to stop the game from switching between low/high res textures, randomly while your playing? It's not enough to kill the experience. but it dose lag for a split second every time it decides to do it. which can be every second, or every minute. and everything in between.