Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Meet the Developers: Jonathan Crow

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Meet the Developers: Jonathan Crow
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OldRepublicRevan
12.03.2012 , 09:24 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hello everyone,

Please discuss the Meet the Developers: Jonathan Crow blog in this thread!

If you have any questions for Jonathan, please ask them here. In the near future, we'll have some answers from him for you!
Hi Jonathan,

When you say your watching the game what do you mean? Tell us how often you watch 50 pvp and if you feel things are 'working as intended'. Do you pvp at all? Do you have any toons that you play? If so, what class?

Also can you ask your development team nicely to please hurry up and give mercs/commandos a buff.

Can you please make an extra effort to 'watch' the pvp more closely and please explain to us why your development team can't balance pvp?

Also can you please address why instead of fixing the most popular aspect of your game you instead choose to pump out pointless flashy cosmetics and overpriced addons?

If you could answer these questions that'd be swell but if not it's no big deal. I'm sure I'm not the only paying customer being ignored by Bioware by this point.

OldRepublicRevan
12.03.2012 , 09:28 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
According to the chart most time is spent on fleet??

Whoa there really should be some minigames and a PvP arena there.
I'm sure they are working super hard to make this game more fun. I'm positive they will get right on that right after they are done adding more pointless flashy cosmetics and and overpriced addons to make a little more money before the game totally tanks.

OldRepublicRevan
12.03.2012 , 09:39 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Malice View Post
Updates about new content and the like please. Maybe this developer stuff would have been useful a year ago when you had a million players. Not so much now.
Couldn't agree with you more. I pay to play the game......not read about some random developers hobbies, likes and dislikes.

I have an idea. How about instead of introducing us to someone you'll eventually end up firing you guys spend more time behind the computer working on fixing the game we gave you money to play.

It's very hard not to be rude anymore when they keep pumping out crap that has little to do with the actual game. Sure they have ideas for the future but if they don't focus on fixing the current problems in game the future won't matter b/c there won't be enough subscribers left to do anything.

Maybe I'm wrong........just not sure what to think anymore. I've pretty much lost my faith in game companies such as Bioware.

Sorens
12.04.2012 , 08:07 AM | #44
Very nice article, im enjoying these thread, its nice to have insight into how things work inside
Thanks and keep it up, btw congrats on your brewing success

EarnestBunbury
12.04.2012 , 10:22 AM | #45
Is this the guy to blame for Harbinger crashing 3 times in the last couple of weeks? LOL

AllisonBerryman
12.04.2012 , 12:14 PM | #46 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey everyone! Jonathan has sent us answers to some of the questions you've asked in the thread. Take a look:

Q: Has the boss vs. player death ratio in EC changed much since 1.5 was released?

Jonathan: It has changed a little bit since 1.5. In general it seems to have worsened a little, but that's mainly because most level 50 players are busy playing around in Sector X and doing the HK-51 missions, which makes getting a full group harder. We all know that PUGs tend to not perform as well in Operations when compared to well-organized groups who have been farming the Operation for a while. All in all though, the general trend for Explosive Conflict and Terror From Beyond is a gradual decrease of the player death to boss kill ratio, which is what we monitor closely to make sure the Operations remain both challenging and rewarding.

Q: According to the chart, the most time is spent on Fleet?

Jonathan: The Fleets are central areas to our game; they are where players often go to as they wait for Warzones or Flashpoint groups to be formed. They're where players go to trade things on the GTN, do some crafting, and also a place where a lot of players like to socialize. All in all, there are many reasons for players spending time on the fleet. We are always looking for ways to minimize time spent on them, though.

Q: I saw you said you analyzed PvE operations statistics, so I'm guessing you might also dabble in the numbers surrounding PvP. If you could possibly expose some of those numbers to the community, there would surely be some great discussions here on the forums from those numbers.

Jonathan: We pay very close attention to both engagement and balance in PvP. Some things we examine are player kill to death ratios and average rewards gained for every class to make sure that balance is maintained across the board. We also examine hourly Warzone numbers to make sure there are enough players queuing up to minimize the amount of time it takes to get into a Warzone. The mega servers provided a significant influx of PvPers that helped significantly reduce our queue times. We also examine average Warzone length to make sure that every Warzone has a similar ratio of reward to time spent. Balance-wise, kill/death ratios are well-balanced, with all Advanced Classes having kill/death ratios very close to each other. Healers tend to die a little less, but this is mitigated by the fact that they don't kill as much and thus rewards given are quite equitable across all Advanced Classes.

Q: Have you looked at using an XML database like Mark Logic or BaseX as a repository for unstructured data that will be used in analytics? I've done some "big data" work and have found XML databases to be much more flexible than table based relational databases.

Jonathan: We use a tool for parsing sentiment in social media and chat logs that scrapes unstructured data and then creates triples (subject, action, target) that are then associated to various categories (positive, negative, bug, planet, pvp.). This gives us the basis for a structured database that we can use to figure out which topics are being spoken of the most and how people chatting lean, sentiment-wise, towards that given topic. We also have a great community team that spends a lot of time every day examining chatter to see more immediate player reaction. So to answer your question specifically: we haven't looked at an XML database. I might just have to look into it!

Q: What are the most common hotspots for role-play? (Perhaps an analysis of which areas people tend to use the /e command or the say channel would provide a rough estimate of where people tend to role-play).

Jonathan: That's an interesting thought. We do have the ability to examine chat and associate it with a given area, but it would be fairly high-level, such as the Fleet, or this planet, or players' starships. I might have to look into that.

Thanks for all your questions!

veyl
12.04.2012 , 02:32 PM | #47
"Balance-wise, kill/death ratios are well-balanced, with all Advanced Classes having kill/death ratios very close to each other. Healers tend to die a little less, but this is mitigated by the fact that they don't kill as much and thus rewards given are quite equitable across all Advanced Classes."

Calling ******** on this one. Please show me the numbers where Marauders and Sorc DPS are on the same level and balanced in the K ratio Or SinTanks vs Merc DPS for that matter at level 50. Where in the world are you pulling these numbers from? The same place that squadrons of operatives are stun locking people to death or that Smash Jugg burst is "fine"? There is a reason that you don't see Merc DPS or Sorc DPS (That aren't bubble-soon-to-be-nerfed-hybrid)

How about taking a look at the amount of damage taken in order to kill a player and the amount of time it takes to do so. Reading this just further proved to me that the development team has no g'damn clue what balance is. (and that they're too busy looking at averages and not real time warzones.)

Glower
12.04.2012 , 03:19 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
All in all, there are many reasons for players spending time on the fleet. We are always looking for ways to minimize time spent on them, though.
Stop looking - do something!
I would prefer to Dromund Kaas / Coruscant, but not fleet-jail...
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "Theyd love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

TUXs
12.04.2012 , 03:55 PM | #49
Hey Johnathan!

Got a question for you...do you think the numbers lie?

I feel Bioware puts far too much value on 'metrics', not enough on how things actually play. It's far too easy to inflate and distort the numbers to reflect trends you want to see vs trends that are real. Your use of TFB is a perfect illustration of what I mean - you said:

"...on September 26, we released Terror From Beyond. The result was a significant spike in the number of level 50 players spending time in Operations, which again was our desired effect."

Did you really expect the result to be anything BUT that?! Will you use the same justification to waste more time, money and resources on space missions after 1.6 is released? You don't need fancy graphs or models to realize people want NEW content, and that's always what they migrate towards, despite how they TRULY feel about the content.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])

TUXs
12.04.2012 , 04:24 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Jonathan: We pay very close attention to both engagement and balance in PvP. Balance-wise, kill/death ratios are well-balanced, with all Advanced Classes having kill/death ratios very close to each other.
Huh..."All Advanced Classes"??? I'm sorry Johnathan, but there's no chance I feel that's even close to accurate. Like I said, I think far too much of what goes on with this game appears to be being determined by logs.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])