Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Meet the Developers: Jonathan Crow

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Meet the Developers: Jonathan Crow
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
11.30.2012 , 11:59 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone,

Please discuss the Meet the Developers: Jonathan Crow blog in this thread!

If you have any questions for Jonathan, please ask them here. In the near future, we'll have some answers from him for you!
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Elfa
11.30.2012 , 12:25 PM | #2
Hi Jonathan, I'm glad you're working hard on things with SWTOR and thanks for taking the time to do the interview.

I have a question, Has the boss vs player death ratio in EC changed much since 1.5 was released?
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

FeelFlow
11.30.2012 , 12:46 PM | #3
I like these articles, it's great to find out about the people behind the game.

Sometimes when you're playing an MMO you think that the devs are:

- Deliberately and maliciously ignoring the playerbase
- Doing their best to sabotage which ever part of the game that you love

...When of course, that's simply not the case i.e. they're professionals doing their best on what must be an incredible complex game.

Lord_Ravenhurst
11.30.2012 , 12:58 PM | #4
According to the chart most time is spent on fleet??

Whoa there really should be some minigames and a PvP arena there.

BillEdwardz
11.30.2012 , 01:05 PM | #5
Jonathan Crow,
I saw you said you analyzed PvE operations statistics - kill to death ratios, dps/healing/mitigation numbers, etc, - so Im guessing you might also dabble in the numbers surrounding PvP too. If you could possibly expose some of those numbers to the community, there would surely be some great discussions here on the forums from those numbers.
Kai'ex - Darth Malak - The Fatman - Prophecy of the Five

Glower
11.30.2012 , 01:10 PM | #6
Quote:
1. Monitoring the health of the game via a series of dashboards that we developed to track some of the important key performance indicators for the game (keeping track of daily logins, game economy, engagement in Operations and Warzones, etc)
PLS, knock to head developers who are tracking LAG spikes: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=545658 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=559510
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

Erasimus
11.30.2012 , 01:29 PM | #7
Good interview. I'm glad you are able to work in an area you enjoy and hope your passion for gaming can continue to contribute to improving the game.

I noticed you mentioned SQL, and of course relational databases have been around forever. However, you also said you do a lot of sc****** of social media sites, etc. Have you looked at using an XML database like Mark Logic or BaseX as a repository for unstructured data that will be used in analytics? I've done some "big data" work and have found XML databases to be much more flexible than table based relational databases.
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

Fornix
11.30.2012 , 01:33 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Ravenhurst View Post
According to the chart most time is spent on fleet??

Whoa there really should be some minigames and a PvP arena there.
Well, I for one add to the fleet time. When I'm essentially not gaming, I stand on the fleet just to send out my companions to craft and gather every 30 ~ 60 mins.
Member of <Helix>

Flightsaber
11.30.2012 , 01:44 PM | #9
First of all - that was an excellent interview. I particularly liked the sample chart of playtime presented. I do have a couple comments and questions though:

My guild <Esoteric Order> uses the Ziost to role-play on Jung Ma fairly often, and It's pretty common to find RP'ers scattered about the imperial fleet. Although we're probably a small portion of the population, it hit me when I was reading your chart that we might be represented as idling in fleet when in fact we're having some of our peak entertainment role-playing . That leads into my first question:

What are the most common hotspots for role-play? (Perhaps an analysis of which areas people tend to use the /e command or the say channel would provide a rough estimate of where people tend to role-play).

Also, what's the most interesting, 'fun' statistic you discovered while analyzing SWTOR?

ZORG
11.30.2012 , 01:51 PM | #10
LOL wife and Kids are his primary HOBBY. Heh to funny.
Fear leads to Anger
Anger leads to hate
HATE leads to suffering