Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Importance of Companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
The Importance of Companions

tylinnara's Avatar


tylinnara
11.29.2012 , 11:54 PM | #1
I like to spread the gaming love, which is why I foolishly always play every class in a game. However, as my Knight has officially just received her second companion, I'm curious to know whether or not I SHOULD spread the love with companions. Is it wise to switch them out as you play, giving them each battle time, or is it best to simply pick your favorite and ignore the rest?

Skodan's Avatar


Skodan
11.30.2012 , 12:28 AM | #2
its a matter of preference really.

if you want to work on affection levels with them you can split them up, but to bypass that you can just give your companions gifts.

for me i stick with a companion that will compliment my role, so my operative healer uses kaliyo as a tank, the other companions i just worked up their affection with gifts.

the story wont change based on which companion you use
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

Oggthebase's Avatar


Oggthebase
11.30.2012 , 03:09 AM | #3
it's really up to your own preference really.

Eventhough the story does not change depending on the companion you play with, each companion will react differently in your dialogues. Some will express their approval, other their disgust, one will have a witty retort and the other will be enthusiastic with your actions.

from a gameplay point of view, it's really difficult to keep all of your companions' gear up to date. So, especially if you're a beginner, you should pick one companion and travel with him/her/it and gear up a secondary companion "just in case".

CallasPA's Avatar


CallasPA
11.30.2012 , 03:28 AM | #4
One thing you'll want to keep in mind is that depending on your class, some of your story quests may force you to use one or more certain companions, or forbid you from using others. That means if T7's your favorite and Kira's just collecting dust, you might have a tough time when your story forces you to bring Kira (and she's still in her Coruscant-level greens while you're level 30+). So far I've noticed the Jedi Knight and Trooper stories are bad about this. So, either spread the love (which can be expensive) or be prepared to shell out some credits to boost a required companion's gear quickly if the worst happens.

Gidrea's Avatar


Gidrea
11.30.2012 , 03:45 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by CallasPA View Post
One thing you'll want to keep in mind is that depending on your class, some of your story quests may force you to use one or more certain companions, or forbid you from using others. That means if T7's your favorite and Kira's just collecting dust, you might have a tough time when your story forces you to bring Kira (and she's still in her Coruscant-level greens while you're level 30+). So far I've noticed the Jedi Knight and Trooper stories are bad about this. So, either spread the love (which can be expensive) or be prepared to shell out some credits to boost a required companion's gear quickly if the worst happens.
This does happen in the JK story. Instead of spending credits on Kira for one encounter, I died on the first attack, rezzed, called out T7 and finished the fight. Actually, there are two encounters but that worked both times.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Randava - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

tylinnara's Avatar


tylinnara
11.30.2012 , 04:15 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by CallasPA View Post
One thing you'll want to keep in mind is that depending on your class, some of your story quests may force you to use one or more certain companions, or forbid you from using others. That means if T7's your favorite and Kira's just collecting dust, you might have a tough time when your story forces you to bring Kira (and she's still in her Coruscant-level greens while you're level 30+). So far I've noticed the Jedi Knight and Trooper stories are bad about this. So, either spread the love (which can be expensive) or be prepared to shell out some credits to boost a required companion's gear quickly if the worst happens.
This was along the lines of what I was wondering. It seems like, ultimately, there isn't too great a penalty for mostly playing with only one. However, what if affection is low and I don't buy trinkets for them? Do higher level missions fail a lot with low affection?

pan_sObak's Avatar


pan_sObak
11.30.2012 , 05:03 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by tylinnara View Post
Is it wise to switch them out as you play, giving them each battle time, or is it best to simply pick your favorite and ignore the rest?
it's sound to use mainly one companion - because you need to gear him up to lvl with you.
When you ding 50 - you can up affection of any and each companion with gifts or running dailies and flashpoints
Tomb of Freedon Nadd, Pansobak Legacy
Merc 55, Jugg 55, Seer 55, Guns 55, Vang 55, Commando 55

Craft: Bio 450, Cyber 450, Arm 450, Armor 450, Art 450, Syth 450- no use of them!

zejaie's Avatar


zejaie
11.30.2012 , 05:25 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by tylinnara View Post
I like to spread the gaming love, which is why I foolishly always play every class in a game. However, as my Knight has officially just received her second companion, I'm curious to know whether or not I SHOULD spread the love with companions. Is it wise to switch them out as you play, giving them each battle time, or is it best to simply pick your favorite and ignore the rest?
I personally like to play with one companion. But if I get a companion that makes the strategically is better suited for me [i.e a healer companion] I will switch to that one and just use my favorite during conversations so that my affection gain is with my favorite.
I do however make sure that periodically I pull them out and change their gear. You never know when you will be required to use them for a particularly hard story mission.
-What should I mentally prepare for as a new healer?
People thinking that you heal them out in spite of any **** they do!

BeToo's Avatar


BeToo
11.30.2012 , 08:37 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by tylinnara View Post
However, what if affection is low and I don't buy trinkets for them? Do higher level missions fail a lot with low affection?
Affection has nothing to do with fighting performance. It opens up some companion side quests, expands their story background, slightly improves their "gathering" missions performance and crit, etc. You may keep them at affection level 0 the entire time, and won't change your actual combat whatsoever.

Companion Affection: What it does and how to get it

SpoeMeister's Avatar


SpoeMeister
11.30.2012 , 08:48 AM | #10
IMO, it's not efficient to switch between all companions, as you'll need to update all of their gears... This can take a lot of time.

Usually it's best to choose two companions to use. The healer companion is always a useful addition (unless you're healer yourself, in that case it's the tank) and one DPS companion.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not yet the end.

Spivak Legacy (ToFN)
SpoeMeister Orrusos Do'chan Nadobo