Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR May Still Be Headed Down a Dark Path (LONG POST)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR May Still Be Headed Down a Dark Path (LONG POST)

LordArtemis
10.30.2012 , 07:27 AM | #181
Well, I still think there are many improvements that are desperately needed for the long term health of the game.

The engine needs an overhaul. It really does IMO. It just doesnt support multiplayer play, and this is disastrous for an MMO from my perspective. It also runs pretty lousy on quite a few graphics setups.

Many of the graphics problems have been fixed, but many still remain. The models need a once over, and graphics quality needs to improve (and is improving, a bit at a time).

They are breaking far too many things when they patch the game, and far too many bugs persist that I feel give the game an unfair cheap feel....like the lightsaber bug. Animation glitches in flashpoints.

Combat is still a bit clunky, though it has improved immensely since launch.

Gear should have stayed orange IMO. This was a really bad move, and I think the game should move toward all armor having the ability to be converted to Orange armor.

LFG is still pretty buggy. It works most of the time, but can be a bit buggy at times...it needs some tweaking.

The GTN needs a complete overhaul. Only one specific search method works, you cant simply pull up the GTN as a new player and get a list of all items available, then whittle them down like most games. There has been improvement here, but the entire left pane of the GTN needs to be redone IMO so you open it up, items are listed. There should be little to no learning curve for a game market.

Ships need an overhaul. They should be our homes. I feel we should be able to decorate them inside and out, they should have doors, and we should have missions that run INSIDE THE SHIPS. They also need turrets IMO.

They must add a free flight BF2 style space battleground to space combat, and convert the current space combat to multiplayer.

We need chat bubbles IMO. You should be able to shut them off, but it is vital to the game.

We need the ability to redesign our look, transfer to another server, personally involve ourselves in crafting, have a mission generator (details in my sig), should be able to sit and lay down, swim and the like.

They should open up planets like Taris, and make all planets less linear overall (often favorites cited are Korriban, Hoth and Tatooine. I think the latter two are cited for their open nature).

There are probably more good suggestions, but I feel the ones I listed above are vital for the health of the game.

MOPSFounder
10.30.2012 , 01:06 PM | #182
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Well, I still think there are many improvements that are desperately needed for the long term health of the game.

The engine needs an overhaul. It really does IMO. It just doesnt support multiplayer play, and this is disastrous for an MMO from my perspective. It also runs pretty lousy on quite a few graphics setups.

Many of the graphics problems have been fixed, but many still remain. The models need a once over, and graphics quality needs to improve (and is improving, a bit at a time).

They are breaking far too many things when they patch the game, and far too many bugs persist that I feel give the game an unfair cheap feel....like the lightsaber bug. Animation glitches in flashpoints.

Combat is still a bit clunky, though it has improved immensely since launch.

Gear should have stayed orange IMO. This was a really bad move, and I think the game should move toward all armor having the ability to be converted to Orange armor.

LFG is still pretty buggy. It works most of the time, but can be a bit buggy at times...it needs some tweaking.

The GTN needs a complete overhaul. Only one specific search method works, you cant simply pull up the GTN as a new player and get a list of all items available, then whittle them down like most games. There has been improvement here, but the entire left pane of the GTN needs to be redone IMO so you open it up, items are listed. There should be little to no learning curve for a game market.

Ships need an overhaul. They should be our homes. I feel we should be able to decorate them inside and out, they should have doors, and we should have missions that run INSIDE THE SHIPS. They also need turrets IMO.

They must add a free flight BF2 style space battleground to space combat, and convert the current space combat to multiplayer.

We need chat bubbles IMO. You should be able to shut them off, but it is vital to the game.

We need the ability to redesign our look, transfer to another server, personally involve ourselves in crafting, have a mission generator (details in my sig), should be able to sit and lay down, swim and the like.

They should open up planets like Taris, and make all planets less linear overall (often favorites cited are Korriban, Hoth and Tatooine. I think the latter two are cited for their open nature).

There are probably more good suggestions, but I feel the ones I listed above are vital for the health of the game.
Nice analysis!

The analysis was very fair to the game, in my opinion, and I would have probably gone on a book report and criticize this game to the letter (this thread doesn't really count ), but I feel like EAWare will take months or even years to implement so many of the great ideas I've read on these forums. It's a shame, really.

MOPSFounder
10.30.2012 , 07:14 PM | #183
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenirath View Post
Better off yes, but they are still making enough money to keep this game alive. So as for a dark path, the only dark path I see is the one in front of my Juggernaut.
It's odd because they said they needed at least 500k subs to keep this game profitable. I wonder how that will change when the demographic of players changes to subscribers and those buying things off the Cartel Shop.

If there's any "Dark Path" that may hit this game, I believe it'll be the Cartel Shop not making enough revenue and subscriptions still bleeding. I believe that could happen because I've seen many posts in the Unsubscriber's Thread where many are hesitant to leave but will do so if some things don't improve, and I've noticed that many of those who always ask when F2P will come pretty much only want to experience the Story and nothing more.

MOPSFounder
10.31.2012 , 01:07 PM | #184
Guessing this thread has run its course. Let's all hope that F2P is SWTOR's last chance at being successful, or RIP, SWTOR.

ColonelKer-Nal
11.25.2012 , 01:45 PM | #185
Replying to subscribe.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
~Robert A. Heinlein

Deewe
11.25.2012 , 02:35 PM | #186
Quote: Originally Posted by MOPSFounder View Post
Lack of Communication in July
We don't have any communication at all anymore.

It's not even abysmal it's way past this.
Remove the patch notes, server maintenance and well count the # of posts.

MOPSFounder
11.26.2012 , 02:27 AM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by Deewe View Post
We don't have any communication at all anymore.

It's not even abysmal it's way past this.
Remove the patch notes, server maintenance and well count the # of posts.
You have this and it's just going to kill the morale of the game's community even further.

xxIncubixx
11.26.2012 , 02:32 AM | #188
its still the best MMO out there... Rift is a joke, Guild wars 2 is well just boring as hell if you still play just lol to be honest. WoW is overrated.

MOPSFounder
11.26.2012 , 07:24 AM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by xxIncubixx View Post
its still the best MMO out there... Rift is a joke, Guild wars 2 is well just boring as hell if you still play just lol to be honest. WoW is overrated.
Yeah. SWTOR is where the grass is greener right now...

Talon_strikes
03.06.2013 , 01:23 PM | #190
I think SWTOR is doing well post-F2P. Granted, the Cartel Market does have some amount of faults I believe the game is doing fine.
Do you want free 7 days of subscription time? And one free server transfer?
With a bundle of goodies? And obtain these rewards every 90 days?
Then click my referral link and login to an existing account, or create a new one, for these rewards today! Don't forget to bookmark it too!