Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Make better use of Light side/Dark side

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Make better use of Light side/Dark side

DarthWoad
11.24.2012 , 11:32 AM | #1
Im currently Dark V. I haven't come across any piece of equipment at end game which can only be used by Dark V players. The story has had no affect on my character end game either.

There should be dark side and light side abilities. Maybe one for each rank. This will further increase uniqueness with players.

saremun
11.24.2012 , 11:36 AM | #2
fully agree!

i loved the idea of Dark side and Light side at the release of the game but then they started to allow everyone to use different color crystals and now armor from CC.

i would think a cosmetic appearance like more option for dark side corruption etc...

Panthian
11.24.2012 , 11:37 AM | #3
No real disagreements here but other then cosmetics Id be hard to ballance.

monkgryphon
11.24.2012 , 11:37 AM | #4
There is the Legacy Unlock ability called "Sacrifice" for being Dark V.

Light V has "Unity" I think.

Other than that, the only reason to be of any alignment is to use relics while levelling. Some of the weapons you get for turning in planetary commendations have alignment tied to them, but there are enough weapons in game that you can just use an unaligned weapon the whole way.

ZoeTuah
11.24.2012 , 12:54 PM | #5
I agree about powers. I'm not one for rocks, and I'd much rather use lightning.

Veovis
11.24.2012 , 03:53 PM | #6
I think it would be nice if the light / dark alignment had a similar role as in the KotOR games, albeit toned down.

Light / dark alignement should perhaps affect your weapons / skills; the closer you are to light, the more effective your non-lethal skills (healing, CC, shield) are, the closer you are to dark, the more effective your damage skills are.

It couldn't be as big an impact as it had in KotOR, as that could introduce balance issues, but a minor tweak of say 0.5% increase in effectiveness per level, with an equivalent decrease in effectiveness in the non-favoured skills.

It would perhaps make people more mindful of their alignment in terms of the role they wanted to play on their AC.
If we don't start soon, George Lucas is gonna change it again
-- Howard Wolowitz

seven_deadlies
11.24.2012 , 04:02 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Veovis View Post
I think it would be nice if the light / dark alignment had a similar role as in the KotOR games, albeit toned down.

Light / dark alignement should perhaps affect your weapons / skills; the closer you are to light, the more effective your non-lethal skills (healing, CC, shield) are, the closer you are to dark, the more effective your damage skills are.

It couldn't be as big an impact as it had in KotOR, as that could introduce balance issues, but a minor tweak of say 0.5% increase in effectiveness per level, with an equivalent decrease in effectiveness in the non-favoured skills.

It would perhaps make people more mindful of their alignment in terms of the role they wanted to play on their AC.
As soon as you start adding anything resembling this, it will become the standard of play...

EVERY healer will run Esseles/Black Talon until they get Light V.

EVERY dps will run until they get Dark V.

Suddenly, its not a bonus to some players, its just the way the game goes.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed there's so much cosmetic stuff for Dark side, but nothing for Light. You get to Dark I, and your eyes change. Then you start looking pale, then wrinkly... not sure where it goes from there, but I'm sure its further and further Undead-ish.

Light I-V, nothing happens. No halo, no aura, no nothing... at best, you can get the new Cartel eyes, and make them glow yourself, for a few seconds at a time.

DarthWoad
11.24.2012 , 05:12 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by seven_deadlies View Post
As soon as you start adding anything resembling this, it will become the standard of play...

Personally, I'm a little disappointed there's so much cosmetic stuff for Dark side, but nothing for Light. You get to Dark I, and your eyes change. Then you start looking pale, then wrinkly... not sure where it goes from there, but I'm sure its further and further Undead-ish.

Light I-V, nothing happens. No halo, no aura, no nothing... at best, you can get the new Cartel eyes, and make them glow yourself, for a few seconds at a time.
But hey, at least the players arent standing around on fleet being bored. It will give people something to do, it will encourage more group content (if they do the same as social points, more darkside/lightside points the more people you are with).

monkgryphon
11.24.2012 , 05:28 PM | #9
But you don't get extra light/dark points for grouping. Those are based on moral decisions, not on playing with others.

Veovis
11.24.2012 , 06:15 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by seven_deadlies View Post

That did occur to me as I was typing it, that's why I put the benefits / cost as low as 0.5% / level. My orignal thought was much higher numbers and I realised that would seriously screw things up.

Some gameplay value to the alignment would be nice, even if only minor. Otherwise it's just another fluff thing and not really that relevant, since the Dark/Light V relics and such aren't that special.
If we don't start soon, George Lucas is gonna change it again
-- Howard Wolowitz