Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Horrid FPS

trueanimus
07.08.2012 , 08:33 AM | #781
Quote: Originally Posted by Bendak-Jago View Post
Solution! If you use Win7 this will most likely solve it for you. Right click on your swtor.exe go into compatibility, tick the box that says Run in compatibility mode, select Win exp Service pack 3. Start up the game and all should be normal once again. Not 100% sure why this worked, think it had something to do with the engine not liking win7. Hope this works for you Click here for better optimization and other solutions
99% of the people here had to do this the first day the game went live just to get it to run.. so i doubt this will help.

the problem lies in the the fact that the game optimizations they made for 1.3 effect specific CPUS it seems. People with I5 systems are reporting an increase in FPS while everyone else, especially those with mid and low range pcs (which this patch was supposed to be for) are reporting huge loss in FPS just like before the optimizations in 1.2.
Formerly Known as Trueevil of Tarquinas server SWG or Truelydead/trueid/truelock/truedewd/truecan/truelyinsane/truelynsane/trueblu/truebacca of undermine in WoW

trueanimus
07.08.2012 , 08:36 AM | #782
Quote: Originally Posted by SgtWeirdo View Post
I'm running on an i7 2700 with 12gig ram and a gtx590 .. I normaly have 100 fps even with 150 people on the fleet and since yesterday I drop down to 10-20 fps after a bit and not even restarting helps to get rid of it again
It's either the patch or all these transfers are bringing the servers to their knees :-|

see what i mean... even people who have systems that should be able to plow through this game are having problems now. Only a select few are seeing any improvement..

Just as a curiosity... how many people here pressed the button that popped up for the "new graphics optimizations" ??

I did and i can say that it made my FPS worse. I went back and manually turned my textures and other settings in the config file back to 0 and my FPS is at least stable enough to play, although the FPS in warzones is still horrible, especially in the void star.

I think that all the "graphics update" did was set the bloom back on and wipe any settings you manually set in your config.. they don't seem to have done anything to the game physically, and i saw no new options at all in the menu
Formerly Known as Trueevil of Tarquinas server SWG or Truelydead/trueid/truelock/truedewd/truecan/truelyinsane/truelynsane/trueblu/truebacca of undermine in WoW

Celebrus
07.12.2012 , 12:30 PM | #783
Quote: Originally Posted by trueanimus View Post
see what i mean... even people who have systems that should be able to plow through this game are having problems now. Only a select few are seeing any improvement..

Just as a curiosity... how many people here pressed the button that popped up for the "new graphics optimizations" ??

I did and i can say that it made my FPS worse. I went back and manually turned my textures and other settings in the config file back to 0 and my FPS is at least stable enough to play, although the FPS in warzones is still horrible, especially in the void star.

I think that all the "graphics update" did was set the bloom back on and wipe any settings you manually set in your config.. they don't seem to have done anything to the game physically, and i saw no new options at all in the menu
I clicked the graphics optimization option, it didn't immediately drop my FPS, but I noticed a graphic improvement right off the bat. It wasn't until the patch a week later (7/3) that my FPS dropped and hasn't improved since. I played for about a week with much improved graphics and no performance loss, and then when I finished updating the following Tuesday, my game performance took a nose dive immediately.

Sanbaal
07.13.2012 , 10:35 AM | #784
First and foremost: I got an Alienware m15x gaming laptop with 8GB RAM and an ATI graphicscard in it.
I use it for gaming only and have SWTOR, LotRO, WoW, Diablo III, STO, DDO and Skyrim installed atm.
All games are running smoothly 60-90 FPS on highest settings, with "Stealth Mode" off, of course.

I run commodo internet security, the SWTOR files are all marked as "save" files.

I clean my system at least every other week, including malware check, rootkit check, defrag and emptying of temp and other systemfiles.

SWTOR ran fine until patch 1.3
Since then, that game is stuttering with 5 to 10 FPS on highest settings on my laptop.

Dunno if this changes anything, or if Bioware is even interested, but the problem can be bettered somehow with the Shadow Quality setting.
High = 5 to 10 FPS
Off = 30-40 FPS.
(on Alderaan with CTRL-SHIFT-F)

I have already deinstalled all graphics drivers and reinstalled the newest AMD drivers for my ATI Mobility Radeon 58xx. Taskmanager showing all processes looks fine, no extra processes are using CPU but the ones I started.

There are TWO swtor processes btw, I don't know if that is right.

Anyway, the game does not even make my quad sweat. The CPU does not go over 50%. All threaded cores are used. I have very little network traffic. The latency ingame lies between 60 and 120 ms, well within tolerable.

As said before, every single other game installed works fine at best settings, even Skyrim and the notoriously straining LotRO. No matter what application, my lowest FPS in those games so far were 60 FPS. SWTOR is really the only program acting up atm.

I don't believe, this changes the way BW handles this, but at least I did what I could to remedy the problem.

I already posted my DXDiag and other stats in an other thread and in a ticket to bioware.
The only response from Bioware was a standard answer requiring me to update my drivers (and other useless "hints").

So yes, this is a showstopper for me. Is Bioware actually working on the problem? Are they having a lead to the reason why this problem occurs? Are they even aware that the problem is with their system or are they still looking for possibilities to shove the responsibility to the user?
"The other side, DARK it is" -- "Shut up Yoda, and eat your toast"
BTW, english ain't my mother tongue, but I'll try my best to make myself understood. Thx 4 Ur patience :-)
"You can run, but then you'll just die tired." - Boba Fat

grezgorz
07.13.2012 , 11:15 AM | #785
Tip for ATI GPU owners: Turn off in-game AA and AF and enable it through CCC. Bioware's implementation is terrible. I can't say I'm surprised considering they didn't even have AA in the beta. AA should be a core component of any game engine. There is still a bottleneck with the number of characters rendered on screen setting. In my case that one setting makes a 70% difference in frame rate from 'Low' to 'High', i.e. 30 FPS to 100+ FPS. Makes me suspect that it's not just a bad engine, but a poor implementation.

I hope every one involved has learned the lesson here: you have to get your engine in order and make sure it's very tight before moving ahead with a major title like this. At this point it's pretty clear that either the Hero engine is terrible, or it's being terribly implemented. Every successive rookie mistake BW makes inclines me further towards the latter conclusion.

trueanimus
08.05.2012 , 03:57 PM | #786
Its been almost 9 months since beta access/launch and this game still runs like a pos. I'm out peeps.. 15+ incarnations of this thread and bioware couldn't care less about the fps issues or the way the game runs.. and once you hit 50, PVP and end game content is so imbalanced its not even enjoyable anymore...

Guildwars 2 comes out on August 28th... Laters peep.

Dayze
10.03.2012 , 10:02 AM | #787
Hi i have same problems, Seriously BAD FPS, Only in Operations do i see some type of rise!,

Warzones = 8-10Fps
Fleet = 10-12Fps
Operations = 30-40Fps

As My rig out performs BF3, Mass Effect 3, & Crysis 2, With everything on MAX!, And even other MMO'S Have No problem!,

My specs, Followed By My DXDIAG!

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

MY DXDIAG! Added spoiler tag - Forum Support team

Spoiler

If anyone can give me the detective details into why this rig cant perform SWTOR! To its fullest , be very much appreciated, as i love this game and would just like to see something i can do to make this experience Better!,

Thankyou for digesting!
Clarity is Key, To Avoid The Darkness Forseen

sbjessen
10.29.2012 , 04:03 PM | #788
Are there seriously still no reply from BioWare on this topic? >.<

Satanski
11.24.2012 , 09:36 AM | #789
I think BW just waits till we all die and leave them alone

Ihopistooli
11.28.2012 , 12:44 PM | #790
Bump! Its been a year now and nothing has changed... gtx560 here with AMD Phenom II x6 16gb ram etc and still low fps, i have tried everything from turning shadows on/off to overclocking, no changes!