Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What's up with the recruit gear LI HM queuing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
What's up with the recruit gear LI HM queuing?

FlyinSpaghetti's Avatar


FlyinSpaghetti
11.23.2012 , 03:02 PM | #1
I see more recruit gear people queuing for LI HM than I do on the tier 1 flashpoints, it's starting to make me think if there may be UI design issue with people just selecting the content at the top of the group finder list due to laziness.

I do think that harder content like this shouldn't be as easy to navigate to, maybe only be able to enable tier 2 queuing in prefs?
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

Blighboy's Avatar


Blighboy
11.23.2012 , 03:13 PM | #2
IIRC in 1.6 BioWare is updating the group finder UI to include recommended gear level, so that should help.
An army of one man, but the right man for the job! -Clone trooper rallying call
Pillars of Ashla
Guild Site

Slurmez's Avatar


Slurmez
11.23.2012 , 03:20 PM | #3
Had a recruit mk2 dps guardian join us on LI yesterday, shook my head when I saw his HPs were just short of 14k. Then I decided not to be a gear snob, 2 of us were significantly overgeared, the healer who joined was geared and we rolled through it, he died once when he was punted into the lava and the savrak which meant I had to work a little harder but no big deal and the rest was a breeze.

Recruit mk2 is comparable to columi and the instance is geared for tionese as stipulated by the devs, you just need a clue about the mechanics. The recruit geared guardian didnt even know that, but listened and had a clue and everything went well.

Taiketo's Avatar


Taiketo
11.23.2012 , 03:22 PM | #4
If they're DPS I generally don't care. A recruit geared healer or tank I worry about somewhat, though, because there's a good chance that if they're in recruit and queue'd for it they don't know the fights well enough to make up for their gear.

Slurmez's Avatar


Slurmez
11.23.2012 , 03:30 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Taiketo View Post
If they're DPS I generally don't care. A recruit geared healer or tank I worry about somewhat, though, because there's a good chance that if they're in recruit and queue'd for it they don't know the fights well enough to make up for their gear.
Thats a fair point

Slugamaniac's Avatar


Slugamaniac
11.23.2012 , 04:52 PM | #6
Like what others have been saying, undergeared dps for this fight is not that big of a concern, especially if they know the fight well. A moderately geared tank that does NOT know the fights is another matter (true story).
The Last Centurions - The Madhi Legacy - The Harbinger
Slugfest Slugtrooper Slugconsular Slackfest Slugshadow Slugfeast
Slugagent Slugwarrior Slughunter Slugsorcerer Slugassassin Slackmeister

AshlaBoga's Avatar


AshlaBoga
11.23.2012 , 05:52 PM | #7
I saw a dps in Recruit gear do okay numbers in a HM LI pug last week, but a full group would be an issue.

1 Player in Recruit gear is fine,
2 players in Recruit gear makes things fun
3 players in Recruit gear makes things a challenge
4 Players in Recruit gear makes things a genuine challenge.

Can it be done? Yes, but I generally don't do it with 3 Recruits simply because unless they're really good, we're going to wipe a couple times.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
11.24.2012 , 09:58 AM | #8
I've actually had this happen a number of times in LI, made worse by the fact that fresh 50 recruit geared DPS come in without knowing any of the boss fights, barely knowing their own class, assuming the Group Finder has built in protections to prevent them from getting in over their heads, such that they believe that they're *intended* to go straight from hitting 50 to doing LI.

I think a lot of the problem comes from what WoW does with their groupfinder at 50 (required average i-level to even get into queues). Many people, especially new players coming from WoW to TOR, assume that, if WoW does it, every other game does it as well.

I'm still curious as to how BW plans on instituting their guideline/requirement system since the simplest method (requiring or recommending a certain average gear rating) would still allow pure Recruit geared players through because, even though the content is designed with Columi gear in mind (126 rating), Recruit gear has a 132 rating. It's just so much worse because so much of the itemization is devoted to Expertise. Without creating separate effective ratings for PvP and PvE, about the only solution that I can arrive at simply is recommending certain levels of hp, which simply inflates the value of hp in the mind if the average player (especially tanks, when most tanks realized long ago that hp stacking is simply bad).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

SharpG's Avatar


SharpG
11.24.2012 , 10:14 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
I've actually had this happen a number of times in LI, made worse by the fact that fresh 50 recruit geared DPS come in without knowing any of the boss fights, barely knowing their own class, assuming the Group Finder has built in protections to prevent them from getting in over their heads, such that they believe that they're *intended* to go straight from hitting 50 to doing LI.

I think a lot of the problem comes from what WoW does with their groupfinder at 50 (required average i-level to even get into queues). Many people, especially new players coming from WoW to TOR, assume that, if WoW does it, every other game does it as well.

I'm still curious as to how BW plans on instituting their guideline/requirement system since the simplest method (requiring or recommending a certain average gear rating) would still allow pure Recruit geared players through because, even though the content is designed with Columi gear in mind (126 rating), Recruit gear has a 132 rating. It's just so much worse because so much of the itemization is devoted to Expertise. Without creating separate effective ratings for PvP and PvE, about the only solution that I can arrive at simply is recommending certain levels of hp, which simply inflates the value of hp in the mind if the average player (especially tanks, when most tanks realized long ago that hp stacking is simply bad).
Tionese is 126 rating, Columi is 136 and Rakata is 140 just FYI Which isn't even including the fact that so much of that stats is dedicated to expertise like you said

Slurmez's Avatar


Slurmez
11.24.2012 , 12:46 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SharpG View Post
Tionese is 126 rating, Columi is 136 and Rakata is 140 just FYI Which isn't even including the fact that so much of that stats is dedicated to expertise like you said
There isnt "so much of that stats is dedicated to expertise", some of the stats are take up with expertise but if you compare them its not a huge deal at all. Recruit MK1 was better than tionese in all aspects bar 4 endurance, MK2 beats tionese hands down and LI is factored around that gear level as per developer comments.