Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Girlfriend Friendly" classes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
"Girlfriend Friendly" classes?

grallmate
11.22.2012 , 10:01 PM | #1
Hey all,

So I've convinced my GF to give the game a shot now that its gone F2P (I'll probably chuck a months sub on her account anyway so she doesn't hate it though). Since then I've been trying to think of what she should play. I told her I wouldn't make her heal and shes never played an MMO before so I was wondering what other people considered to be "Girlfriend Friendly" classes. I'm planning to roll an alt from the same starting planet to level with her and I'll go tank or healer and probably just get her to DPS.

I was thinking Pyro PT and I'd have rolled an Op healer or Sorc and I'd have rolled a Jugg tank. But then she decided she wanted to play Republic side. Vanguard just isn't as cool and I already have a Scoundrel healer. Same deal with Sage and Guardian tank.

My thoughts are:
'Slinger: Great ranged DPS, cover takes some getting used to and bottoming out energy really hurt. I'd probably roll a Vanguard tank to accompany her.
Sage: Good ranged DPS, resource management is a joke. Nice and easy but boring story and doesn't feel "Sagey" until after level 10. I'd roll a Shadow tank to match.
Commando: Simple rotation, same resource issue as 'Slinger but heavy armour might help her out a bit. I'd probably roll a Vanguard or 'Slinger to match.
Sentinel: Great damage, 2 sabers and easy resource management but its melee and has tonnes of abilities. Shadow tank again.
Guardian: Same as Sent, but with heavy armour.
Scoundrel: Stealth, melts things but melee, no gap closer and squishy. Also has variable resources.
Vanguard: Great damage, easy class (Assault spec). Animations are boring and variable resources. Probably pair with a Commando healer.

So far I've capped a Sage, Guardian, Assassin and Scoundrel as heal or tank spec and a Sniper DPS. I've also got a Chapter 3 PT so I know a fair bit about those classes. My Marauder and Commando are still, well, a Warrior and Trooper.

Really, I just want something easy, effective and/or fun for her. Any input would be appreciated. Bonus points if you have feedback from "non-MMO gamer" partners.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Banegio
11.22.2012 , 10:19 PM | #2
For easiness:
PT and get her to start as tank. New player to mmo learn pve mechanics better as tank. She can always switch later to dps if she doesn't like tank. Needless to say PT is pvp-friendly.

For fun:
Stealthy class. She assassin, you operative. That combo can clear all H4 and FP without waiting for 4 people group, and is super fun for pvp.

And tell her dark side has all the cool looking gears

grallmate
11.22.2012 , 10:24 PM | #3
Thanks for the thoughts. Thats almost exactly what I thought at first. Then she decided she wanted to run Republic and the mirrors just aren't as cool. I wanted to start on the same planet as her but dual stealthers does have a certain (massive) appeal.

Might have to try again to convince her to run Sith side. Any other inputs?

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar

JWinkler
11.22.2012 , 10:30 PM | #4
I would ask why she wants to be republic. If it's that she doesn't want to be a bad guy... Play for the Empire and make light side choices. Or you can get over the stories and let her choose

grallmate
11.22.2012 , 10:43 PM | #5
Basically, she just wants to be told what class to play. She doesn't care about the story, or the effectiveness or the playstyle. I want a class that she'll enjoy so she keeps playing :P

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar

Arator
11.22.2012 , 11:21 PM | #6
Roll a d8? I always just roll a dice or flip a coin when I can't decided what option to pick
Ara'tor - 55 Powertech // Ariadne - 55 Juggernaught

GARhenus
11.23.2012 , 12:23 AM | #7
healer - dps combo is one of the best in-game couple roles.
that or tank - dps

dunno, kinda more dynamic than the usual double dps or double ambush

SnazzyMcSplendid
11.23.2012 , 12:32 AM | #8
So... she wants you to choose for her? Well... fair enough, then, I guess.

Don't worry about the mechanics... you can help her with that while you're playing. And, you can pick whichever class best compliments whatever she's playing, to keep things moving. The story is the main draw for many here, so if you want her to keep playing, then getting her invested in one seems to be the way to go. Pick the class with the story you think she'd enjoy the most.
"[Insert Witty Quote Here]"

mrekxxx
11.23.2012 , 01:55 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Hey all,

So I've convinced my GF to give the game a shot now that its gone F2P (I'll probably chuck a months sub on her account anyway so she doesn't hate it though). Since then I've been trying to think of what she should play. I told her I wouldn't make her heal and shes never played an MMO before so I was wondering what other people considered to be "Girlfriend Friendly" classes. I'm planning to roll an alt from the same starting planet to level with her and I'll go tank or healer and probably just get her to DPS.

I was thinking Pyro PT and I'd have rolled an Op healer or Sorc and I'd have rolled a Jugg tank. But then she decided she wanted to play Republic side. Vanguard just isn't as cool and I already have a Scoundrel healer. Same deal with Sage and Guardian tank.

My thoughts are:
'Slinger: Great ranged DPS, cover takes some getting used to and bottoming out energy really hurt. I'd probably roll a Vanguard tank to accompany her.
Sage: Good ranged DPS, resource management is a joke. Nice and easy but boring story and doesn't feel "Sagey" until after level 10. I'd roll a Shadow tank to match.
Commando: Simple rotation, same resource issue as 'Slinger but heavy armour might help her out a bit. I'd probably roll a Vanguard or 'Slinger to match.
Sentinel: Great damage, 2 sabers and easy resource management but its melee and has tonnes of abilities. Shadow tank again.
Guardian: Same as Sent, but with heavy armour.
Scoundrel: Stealth, melts things but melee, no gap closer and squishy. Also has variable resources.
Vanguard: Great damage, easy class (Assault spec). Animations are boring and variable resources. Probably pair with a Commando healer.

So far I've capped a Sage, Guardian, Assassin and Scoundrel as heal or tank spec and a Sniper DPS. I've also got a Chapter 3 PT so I know a fair bit about those classes. My Marauder and Commando are still, well, a Warrior and Trooper.

Really, I just want something easy, effective and/or fun for her. Any input would be appreciated. Bonus points if you have feedback from "non-MMO gamer" partners.
my GF plays Pyrotech, and she loves that, its the easiest class in swtor imao, no rotation and much fun. I recomend this. She often tops charts in pvp, and she plays ranked with us with good results, cannot beat only smashers /OP/.

gl

Helig
11.23.2012 , 02:15 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Basically, she just wants to be told what class to play. She doesn't care about the story, or the effectiveness or the playstyle. I want a class that she'll enjoy so she keeps playing :P
Not sure why you fear suggesting something with a resource system more complex than a "flat" bar. She's just newbie - she's not dumb (I hope). Explain the basics of Agent resources to her (KEEP ABOVE 60 - as general rule, at least), and I guarantee she'll have tons of fun with Operative thanks to great animations, amazing story and some nice-looking gear.

Would no suggest BH though, because the story there can be pretty crude, unless she's into "boy's stuff" like fistfights, insults and bragging.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie