Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Proc Trinkets and Shields on the Battle Tanks Encounter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Proc Trinkets and Shields on the Battle Tanks Encounter

Wugan
04.16.2012 , 02:56 PM | #1
While analyzing the logs from our attempts at 16 hard Firebrand and Stormcaller last night, we noticed a problem with the proc trinkets that makes them a real liability on this fight.

If you are unfamiliar with the fight, Shield Generators spawn that the raid has to run under to avoid the Mortar Volley attack. While you are under the shields killing adds, Mortar Volley from the Firebrand tank hits the shield and slowly kills it. It is very important that players do not accidentally DPS the Shield Generator, since even a small amount of additional damage can end the phase early, exposing your group to unnecessary Mortar Volley damage.

If you check your logs from that fight, you will notice that every player under a shield does damage to the Shield Generator from Mortar Volley. It is counted as player damage, not boss damage. The problem, however, is this Mortar Volley damage can proc DPS trinkets such as the Campaign Relic of Elemental Transcendance, causing them to damage the Shield Generator. We are noticing the same problem with proc trinkets for all our DPS classes.

While you can fight through this bug, even a small amount of damage on the Shield Generators can lead to it dying early, raiders taking unnecessary damage, and stress on your healers that shouldn't be happening. Damage from Mortar Volley on the shields is tuned pretty tightly, and this extra damage from proc trinkets can cause problems that seem unintentional in terms of encounter design.
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Wugan --- Sage

pure_laced
04.16.2012 , 04:10 PM | #2
That is just silly. Are you sure it parsing right, or the combat log isn't reporting it incorrectly? I haven't looked myself, but that whole idea just seems an unintentional oversight.
Cali Killed Nox
Genshen 50: Powertech | Guardian | Assassin | Sniper | Sage
Guild Website | Stream | Twitter

Wugan
04.16.2012 , 05:40 PM | #3
I can't be 100% sure it is parsing right, but Mortar Volley consistently shows up as damage done by players to shields. At first I thought our DPS was doing a ridiculous amount of unintentional damage to the shields, but it's just how the combat log displays Mortar Volley. One of our DPS was using an on-use trinket last night, and he didn't have any damage shown to the shields aside from Mortar Volley.
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Wugan --- Sage

Somokon
04.16.2012 , 06:41 PM | #4
Great catch. I remember an employee saying in the combat parser thread in the PTS forum that many times "environmental damage" was attributed to a player by the game, so it looks like a bug/oversight that this damage is able to proc a relic. On multiple attempts we had our shield fail unexpectedly, and this would explain it.

DoctorWhoTardis
05.08.2012 , 08:29 AM | #5
We had the same problem last night, note: this occurred several times but only with the new relic "internal damage based", seems the one with the energy damage is not affected by this bug.
Anyone can confirm ?

Freeborne
05.08.2012 , 08:43 AM | #6
This makes sense to me. On 8 man normal at times our shield would go down before the volley was done, and some of our DPS have this proc trinket.
The Ebon Hawk: 50 Commando, Shep'ard. 50 Guardian, Asha'man
Want a global LFG channel? Type "/cjoin LFG" on your server and get others to do the same!

BanPearson
11.22.2012 , 11:42 PM | #7
That might be fixed now, as this log indicates: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlo.../1#d=0,t=7,b=1

Dragonbgone
11.23.2012 , 01:07 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by BanPearson View Post
That might be fixed now, as this log indicates: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlo.../1#d=0,t=7,b=1
BioWare fixed this months ago.
. : Messores Republicae : .
Reapers of the Republic

snowmon
11.23.2012 , 02:59 AM | #9
gz on necroing a 7 month old thread lol
lvl 55 PT DPS, ToFN Server

DakoHawk
11.23.2012 , 12:44 PM | #10
Someone really ought to stop that Hitler fellow...