Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

Sameria
11.05.2012 , 03:15 PM | #231
Quote: Originally Posted by exca View Post
I already answered him. He should start unleashed with swtor unleashed, not the normal launcher. Never. Since it will verify everything is in place. If you do as you say you might encounter several problems depending on what you do between 2 game sessions.
hmm... I have been doing this since I started using it, 6+ months. Granted typically I don't do it often.... random DC's... forget to start mumble first (for the overlay)... etc. But never had any issues with it, EVER.
Karisa - Carnek - Karise - Ethria - Elisy - Kodo - Sameria
R E I G N

Sith Empire - PvE ♦ PvP ♦ RP-lite
Official Guild Website

DragonAgeOrgins
11.05.2012 , 04:07 PM | #232
True, but you have to face it : either you'll run the game slower until they make a change, or you try to make it faster in the mean time one way or the other. Your choice.
It's not that I don't give credit to those who made this feature. I downloaded and support it. What frustrates me a bit. Is that a person playing the game. Not bioware had to make this. Gamers are actually working on methods to speed it up faster then the actual dev's on the game.

What does that say?

tolaez
11.05.2012 , 06:14 PM | #233
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonAgeOrgins View Post
It's not that I don't give credit to those who made this feature. I downloaded and support it. What frustrates me a bit. Is that a person playing the game. Not bioware had to make this. Gamers are actually working on methods to speed it up faster then the actual dev's on the game.

What does that say?
This is wrong

Firstly - of course BW makes efforts all the time to improve the speed of their game. Just because you're unaware of those efforts, or don't think they're fast enough does not mean they don't exist

Secondly - this kind of thing would not be a feasible way for BW to increase performance on the average users system, it's far too cumbersome for the average mmo player and would cause more problems.

That said - it's good for those of us with a little know how and don't mind the huge loading times to squeeze a little more performance out of the game.

Karquile
11.05.2012 , 10:03 PM | #234
It will outperform 10x at least the best SDD, so yes.
A RAMdisk will usually benchmark faster than an SSD (not SDD), but the extra speed is not needed to eliminate loading delays in SWTOR. The 3x speed boost of the SSD is plenty - and you only need one launcher and one configuration. I have done this on 5 different machines and the result is the same every time - move to SSD and SWTOR runs smooth as silk.
Welcome to the Public Test Server! / PTS Forum Guidelines
Friendly testing guilds to join: Primus (Republic) and Alpha (Empire).
Chat with other testers in-game: /cjoin Test
PTS Ventrilo server! gametest.typefrag.com port 23300

exca
11.06.2012 , 01:49 AM | #235
Quote: Originally Posted by Karquile View Post
A RAMdisk will usually benchmark faster than an SSD (not SDD), but the extra speed is not needed to eliminate loading delays in SWTOR. The 3x speed boost of the SSD is plenty - and you only need one launcher and one configuration. I have done this on 5 different machines and the result is the same every time - move to SSD and SWTOR runs smooth as silk.
SWTOR uses about up to 8Gb of data (provided you have high settings) continuously. And it's limited to 2.5Gb used at the same time. So it loads in and out of those 2.5Gb data continuously. When it comes to frames per second, the impact is huge. It's a lot faster to do this from RAM to RAM than from SSD to RAM. RAM will deliver the data nearly instantaneously whereas it'll take a few ms for your SSD to do it. Check the FPS drops in PVP or crowded areas with classic HD, SSD, HD+unleashed, SSD+unleashed. Results are self explanatory.
Server : Darth Nihilus (FR) Characters : Exca, Universe Guild : Escadron Nemesis
Dev de : SWTOR Unleashed (FR) - augmente la fluidité de SWTOR
Dev of : SWTOR Unleashed (US) - raises SWTOR fluidity

morfius
11.06.2012 , 06:02 AM | #236
Some tests (partly loaded game in ram drive, whole game in ram drive, cache files of game in ram drive, dynamic + cache files in ram drive) showed that RAM drive give large boost on slow systems, but on Asus G75 with 32 GB RAM ... game loads 10-15% faster than from 7200 HDD.
No point found to load whole game in RAM drive, cache & dynamics is most usable option.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

swredrage
11.06.2012 , 07:56 AM | #237
Quote: Originally Posted by fabiyun View Post
Ever tried it with AMD RAMdisk?
http://www.radeonramdisk.com/
I'm curious in trying this out. Will get an SSD today, Samsung 830. It's not the fastest, but since my mobo still has SATA2 it won't matter much anyway, but primarily chose this one because it has the best reliability reviews.
With 8GB of OCZ Fatality DDR2 RAM, is it worth trying a RAMdisk solution?
There are not many better SSDs than the Samsung 830 right now.. the 840 Pro is about it. A buddy and I where comparing our setups, My Samsung 830, ADATA SX900, OCZ Agility 2 and his OCZ agility 4 and the 830 beats them all with out much issue. the Intel 520s and one other I can't think of off the top of my head are right on par or slightly better than the 830 but the last time i looked their prices where a bit higher.. Of course on SATA2, you won't notice a huge difference. But the 830 is still one of the better buys right now especially with their dropping price.

just commenting on the drive choice... i think you made a great choice.

I've been using Primo RamDisk. Not free but runs really nice.

Bugattiboy
11.21.2012 , 05:38 PM | #238
It takes 5 whole minutes for the SWTOR launcher to... uh... launch after I've clicked "SWTOR Unleashed". Why is this?

BogyOne
11.22.2012 , 03:13 AM | #239
Quote: Originally Posted by Bugattiboy View Post
It takes 5 whole minutes for the SWTOR launcher to... uh... launch after I've clicked "SWTOR Unleashed". Why is this?
I believe the ramdisk is created and game files are copied during this time.

I would ask for help with C6 error (less than 2GB free space on the disk) which I have since last patch. I reduced files to see if it helps - as expected, it did not. In Retail mode game runs without this error.

Any advice on C6 error? Thanks!

I have recently changed to W8 Pro but had no problems with Unleashed until patch so I think it is not an issue.

EDIT: I found a solution myself - edited Unleashed.xml file to increase ramdrive size to have at least 2GB free on launch of TOR. I just leave the problem and solution here.

Bugattiboy
11.22.2012 , 08:15 AM | #240
I get no error when running SWTOR Unleashed, it just takes a long time to boot. It probably comes has to do with how much I put on the RAMDisk.