Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
FTP is Too "Free". Please adjust model.

baddux
11.19.2012 , 04:59 PM | #151
I could care less about the F2P. It doesn't affect me because I sub, (other than the game has more people playing which is a good thing I think).

That being said, I ask the following questions:

1. For the F2P people complaining about the restrictions: would you have complained about something else if they gave you 3 or 4 quickbars or whatever else anyway? (be honest)

2. For the so called "returning player" contingent: What would you have done with the game if they hadn't done the F2P (regardless of what you think about the model) -- leave it on your shelf to collect dust? At least you can play it now.

3. For the subbing elites: Why would more people playing the game and making it more profitable be a bad thing?

4. Finally, for all those using other games' models as proof for a SWTOR failure: I strongly urge you to go to one of these other games' forums and look at the vast amount of complainers griping about the model you proclaim.

In conclusion SWTOR is a game and should be fun, not a point of stress in our lives.

Just my $0.02, and I am just as guilty for participating in this shouting match.

DarthOvertone
11.19.2012 , 05:04 PM | #152
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Well, this is a refreshing change from the barrage of "FTP is too restrictive, please adjust" posts.
The only people complaining about restrictions are people that played the game previously as a sub. I have two friends that played the game this weekend for the first time, true F2Pers, and they were blown away by how awesome the game was and how much stuff they can do for free.

They didn't care about extra quickbars, no sprint, WZ limits or any of that other junk former subs QQ about. They had never played the game before and thought the free option was awesome. Pretty sure they haven't slept for 3-4 days and just keep rocking along. lol
Alphanoob, Alpha-zen (among others) - Garbage S1 Champion
Ebon Hawk | Harbinger
SWTOR 4.3: It was good while it lasted. Thanks BW

GalacticKegger
11.19.2012 , 05:35 PM | #153
Personally I think the F2P allowances are pretty fair. What probably needs to be upped a bit imho are the Preferred Status perks. Not a ton, but perhaps 4 quickbars instead of 2, 4 character slots instead of 2, the ability to trade credits (up to maybe 5k/day or something for twinking) and better GTM privileges.
Can we please just have our pre-KotFE SWTOR MMORPG back?

FerrusPA
11.19.2012 , 05:37 PM | #154
Quote: Originally Posted by baddux View Post
1. For the F2P people complaining about the restrictions: would you have complained about something else if they gave you 3 or 4 quickbars or whatever else anyway? (be honest)
People always complain. Yet it would be much, much easier to defend the other F2P decisions compared to this particular faux pas.
December Pre-Order Best Pre-Order
Proud Guildmaster of Two Swords One Box. Apply now!

Thread = Faden Threat = Drohung

JamieKirby
11.19.2012 , 05:38 PM | #155
I am thinking they need to restrict the storyline, i mean, out of all the F2P players i have met in the game 75% of them joined cause it was free and because they can see the only important thing......the story and after they have seen all the stories, they will stop playing.

I think they should have made it free up to the start of act 2, that way, they can see what its about, without bioware giving away the main reason for me playing in the first place....the story.

SnakeAes
11.19.2012 , 06:01 PM | #156
Klarick,

Are you serious?

See link: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

The ONLY thing free players get that is the same as subscribers is to play the entire campaign.

Let's take a look at how even that is affected:
Spoiler
That is too much for free?

Let's not even start addressing the fact that you feel two quickbars is enough. For most classes (if not every class), two quickbars is not even enough to house every ability available to you and while yes, certain abilities get more use than others, any even mediocre player knows that there are situational uses for every ability. Needing to fire the ability from the Abilities Window simply won't cut it in those situations.

I really hope you are trolling. Because asking to give F2P even less than they already have is absolutely ridiculous. I am a founder, just like you. I am a subscriber, just like you. I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition the moment it was available. I have an account that was created the DAY the SWTOR website and forums were first opened (not this account, but I can link you to it and post from it if you need proof).

I'm of the opinion that F2P players don't have enough.
«勝兵先勝而後求戰,敗兵先戰而後求勝。»
"Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win." - The Art of War

Merwanor
11.19.2012 , 06:17 PM | #157
I am a subscriber, and I think they are giving away to little. Having to pay for general game mechanics is stupidly greedy. What you get as a subscriber is such a great value, especially because of the CC stipend.
The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.

baddux
11.19.2012 , 06:24 PM | #158
Quote: Originally Posted by FerrusPA View Post
People always complain. Yet it would be much, much easier to defend the other F2P decisions compared to this particular faux pas.
I would tend to agree with you on this -- it seems quite restrictive if you are really going to play.

It just seems like the stuff from each side is tremendously overblown -- that is why I posed the questions.

Klarick
11.21.2012 , 12:51 AM | #159
Quote: Originally Posted by SnakeAes View Post
Klarick,
Are you serious?
Let's not even start addressing the fact that you feel two quickbars is enough. For most classes (if not every class), .
I'm very serious Snake.BW is giving this game away. Unlike GW2, FTP'ers in SWTOR dont even have to buy the game! I paid over $60.00 for my copy. Plus, they can play every class story in the game! Unprecedented level of FTP.

Oh about the 2 Quick Bars. You will have absolutly ZERO problem playing the storyline, all the way to 50, of every single class with just 2 bars. Not a single problem. Now, you wanna start doing HM and NM Flashpoints and Operations, then yeah you may just want those extra bars. If thats the case you can pay the $2.00 whole dollars and unlock the extra bars. Again, you are getting a $60.00 AAA game for nothing!
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

AshlaBoga
11.21.2012 , 01:02 AM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by Klarick View Post
I'm very serious Snake.BW is giving this game away. Unlike GW2, FTP'ers in SWTOR dont even have to buy the game! I paid over $60.00 for my copy. Plus, they can play every class story in the game! Unprecedented level of FTP.

Oh about the 2 Quick Bars. You will have absolutly ZERO problem playing the storyline, all the way to 50, of every single class with just 2 bars. Not a single problem. Now, you wanna start doing HM and NM Flashpoints and Operations, then yeah you may just want those extra bars. If thats the case you can pay the $2.00 whole dollars and unlock the extra bars. Again, you are getting a $60.00 AAA game for nothing!
Karlick has a good point.

People moan and groan about F2P having less content than GW2, but GW2 cost me $64 after tax, SWTOR F2P? Costs $0.

I guess that old saying is true: you get what you pay for
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!