Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cartel Market will have opposite effect than intended

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Cartel Market will have opposite effect than intended

Ephesia
11.19.2012 , 05:42 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
I dont have a problem, spend away... spend away your mortgage for all I care (im sure someone already has). Doesnt mean that I cant laugh at it. You will see what my actual problem with it is, in due time. When people start wondering why only the cash shop is getting consistant updating and we are thrown bones for actual content. You can wonder why and why some more. Some day it will dawn on you that the Cash Shop is their money source. It is their money source from all the people that throw 200 bucks a week at it. They will update their money source well before they do anything for real content. You will see... it wont take but a few months to see through it.

Proof positive in this is they couldnt be bothered to update the CE store that was bare bones to begin with or neutral gear or the other store.. yet it didnt take them long for all those goodies in the cash shop did it?

Soon as the grab bag items dies down... they will add more items to it. Got to keep that money flow... screw that new story content or the new side content like swoop racing.
Ok fair point, even though I do think you are overexaggerating your scenario. If the actual game truly lacks content I believe no amount of fluff items will be enough to save it. People will still leave, even those who spend unreasonable amounts of dollars to cartel packs. Fluff items are a needed extra to this game, World of Warcraft is very successful with their own fluff content and it is very popular among the playerbase but for the majority of players it's never their primary aim in this game.

I do think that they won't make the mistake of constantly delaying content to rush fluff items in, that would be just stupid on their part.
Ephesia, Level 55 Jedi Guardian
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Member of Catalyst

ChazDoit
11.19.2012 , 05:44 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by FatEdd View Post
Anyone who purchases credits for real money is basically to lazy to make the easy credits you can in the game.
I don't look down on the people that pay real money for cartel items. I'ts great that they do, because It's only through them that I can buy cartel items or unlock with in-game credtis

EvilBieber
11.19.2012 , 05:52 AM | #63
I gambled away all of my free CC's on these... what do you get... Well I got a lot of useless speeders and 'THAT' mask. I'm sure if items had a high end place in the economy then folks might buy them for the credits...but when you get stuff with a market value of 50k then People won't want ot blow $5 to get 50k in game.

Maybe if they sold me a house or a chair I could sit on (I can sit on speeders anyway).

BaronV
11.19.2012 , 05:56 AM | #64
How about this? Make it so that ONLY SUBSCRIBERS can buy Cartel Market items off the GTN
I used to be a Jedi like you - until I took a blaster bolt to the knee

Elysith
11.19.2012 , 05:58 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
How about this? Make it so that ONLY SUBSCRIBERS can buy Cartel Market items off the GTN
You can't be serious

Soluss
11.19.2012 , 06:06 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Ephesia View Post
Ok fair point, even though I do think you are overexaggerating your scenario. If the actual game truly lacks content I believe no amount of fluff items will be enough to save it. People will still leave, even those who spend unreasonable amounts of dollars to cartel packs. Fluff items are a needed extra to this game, World of Warcraft is very successful with their own fluff content and it is very popular among the playerbase but for the majority of players it's never their primary aim in this game.

I do think that they won't make the mistake of constantly delaying content to rush fluff items in, that would be just stupid on their part.
As long as they have people willing to spend 100's of dollars on a regular basis... then updating the cartel packs will be their main priority. Now dont get me wrong here. Im not saying there will never be content updates. Im simply saying that it is going to be few and far between and more of the same old that we already get. Right now they have content back logged. Meaning, its practically ready to go now. Once that runs out the 6 week content updates will start to be 2 months then 3 months then 4 months. All the while introducing more and more bugs in the game which helps to further that gap.

On the other side of it. Cartel content is probably generating them more money then they have seen from subscriptions. That will die down as stuff becomes less and less rare and people got what they pretty much want. Walllah! New cartel pack content. You have to understand that EA is a business, a greedy cuthroat one at that. They do not care about people. They do not care about the critisim. What they do care about is the sales they are making in the cash shop... thats the only thing they care about. As long as those sales are still being made then subscriptions are meaningless to them. Subscriptions are chump change compared to the money they made in the last few days.

I hope Im wrong on this of course but this is the gut feeling I get. The first sign that Im wrong is if EA hires a bunch more people. If they dont hire a sigficant staff from all this added income then you know that either they still arent making much money OR they dont care about adding more content.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

Soluss
11.19.2012 , 06:08 AM | #67
Why would they do that? It would be a money loss. Cash shop isnt bringing people back and it was never meant to. It is there to get more money from subscribers then they already pay. It is there so the free players hopefully buy something. As long as the free players buy something then its more then they were going to get from them anyways.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

lklinga
11.19.2012 , 06:08 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
Or maybe the guy just makes more money than you?
People can do whatever they want with their money.
For some spending it on a car might sound stupid. It is all about the perceived benefit.

Although spending $600 on digital pixels is borderline acceptable even for me.

But if it makes him happy by all means...

Missandei
11.19.2012 , 06:12 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by FourTwent View Post
this is what I did. i have been playing the GTN game for months and saving up. blew 40 million over 2 days, got everything i wanted and extras for my alts, and i didn't even need to spend any real money on gambling packs

awesome system they have i thought
Lol...
2 days ago - White crystal - 10-15mln
1 day ago - White crystal - 5 mln
now - White crytal - 2 mln..

Blowed 40 mlns? lol.. In a week you could buy all that stuff for 2-3mlns.. lol..
Missandei Shadow ...yet shadows can kill. And oft-times a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

Missandei
11.19.2012 , 06:15 AM | #70
Lol... You are havent working on this very long, yes? lol..
With a credit cap for F2P 250K(350K) how do you proposing to sell them stuff for more than 350K? lol
Missandei Shadow ...yet shadows can kill. And oft-times a very small man can cast a very large shadow.