Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cartel Market will have opposite effect than intended

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Cartel Market will have opposite effect than intended

Soluss
11.18.2012 , 09:10 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Vampirius View Post
The Cartel Market will work juat like Diablo 3. That is, it will make an awesome profit in spite of its design flaws, because it is new and shiny. Seeing some of the gaping flaws in design, I assume that Bioware will do exactly loke Blizzard and not realize that they would make sooo much more money if they designed it better. The cash will drop pff in a month or two, and then they will start designing more horrible content to push the cash shop and further hamper the overall game experience.... yup.... exactly loke Diablo 3. (pardon typos from cell phone)
This, people dont realize that the Cash Shop is BW's new form of content additions. Real content will get a bone here and there but Cash Shop will take precedence. The rarity of the items are not really that rare and as soon as most people have what they want, sales will slow down. Guess what happens then? More Cash Shop items.

We begged and begged for more fluff type stuff and more gear models and that sort of thing before F2P was even thought of. They didnt have time for it. Watch how much time they have for it now.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

Tordos
11.18.2012 , 10:10 PM | #42
Give it a few weeks. I think once many players have the cartel items they want the effect of the cartel market will be quite insignificant. When does a shiny lose it's luster? The potential problem with the system is that they have set themselves up now to continue to introduce new cartel stuff. Nobody will be gambling if they have no more reasons to gamble. More importantly, the in-game economy has changed; people can now buy cartel coins to acquire stuff that has value and sell it for credits. While this is not pay to win, it is definitely 'pay to progress faster then some who don't pay'. There will be complaints with any change but the question is whether it will have any lasting impact.

TrakonBazzaak
11.18.2012 , 10:41 PM | #43
I paid 80 bucks got one white crystal, 3 purple-pink crystals and a bunch of garbage loot.

No chair

No mask

No monkey lizard

No Gizka

No purple weapons

I got a crap-ton of exp boosts, elegant naked girl armor, naked torso armor and a ton of the crappy speeders....heck I didnt even get a manta.

*edit* oh and about a thousand companion gifts/ useless mats for professions people dont bother to buy.
Jus sayin.
It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing, but I don't personally believe that. I still think people are better than that.
Raph Koster

Soluss
11.18.2012 , 11:17 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post
I paid 80 bucks got one white crystal, 3 purple-pink crystals and a bunch of garbage loot.

No chair

No mask

No monkey lizard

No Gizka

No purple weapons

I got a crap-ton of exp boosts, elegant naked girl armor, naked torso armor and a ton of the crappy speeders....heck I didnt even get a manta.

*edit* oh and about a thousand companion gifts/ useless mats for professions people dont bother to buy.
Jus sayin.
Enjoy your 80 dollars worth of garbage
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

NightBlizzard
11.18.2012 , 11:26 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Cran View Post
Judging from the amount of items sold on the GNT already, many, many people have bought packs, and I am rather thankful for it, because I have enough time to grind dailies and buy what I want this way without gambling.

Many people also posted about buying coins already, so it's not all people who spent their accumulated coins from being a subscriber. So far, the concept seems to work - people spend money! We'll have to see if it lasts or if people get fed up/upset with the gambling aspect of it.

Btw, the mask of Nihilus sells for more than 20 millions on my server - not buying that!
20 million!? I got mine for 2 million
"A large stack of credits does wonders for my affection level"

Mowermanx
11.18.2012 , 11:34 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
This, people dont realize that the Cash Shop is BW's new form of content additions. Real content will get a bone here and there but Cash Shop will take precedence. The rarity of the items are not really that rare and as soon as most people have what they want, sales will slow down. Guess what happens then? More Cash Shop items.
But, if they were hesitant about investment in this game, the extra cash may help them finish all the concepts they started more promptly?
I suppose we'll see around the end of DEC what the future holds.

NightBlizzard
11.18.2012 , 11:35 PM | #47
One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Its not for YOU to decide how OTHERS spend their money. It may seem pointless to you - but than again - you're sitting here dishing out 15 dollars for this game just like the rest of us - if others want to spend more on something they think is worth their while, than leave them be and stop trolling this forum trying to prove your non-existent point.
"A large stack of credits does wonders for my affection level"

TrakonBazzaak
11.18.2012 , 11:57 PM | #48
Was that an attempt to rub in my face that I lost at gambling?

Grow up kid.

I thought the thread was about the cartel market and our experiences with it.

If you have nothing to contribute I think you know what to do.
It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing, but I don't personally believe that. I still think people are better than that.
Raph Koster

FourTwent
11.19.2012 , 12:11 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Claprica View Post
Nah, more like he lives at home with his mum, and doesn't pay money for hot water, soap or deoderant.
whatever makes you feel good for not making as much money as someone else while they have a blast and spend it

Babyduck
11.19.2012 , 12:46 AM | #50
There's a little town out in Nevada that was built on gambling. The cash shop is intended to bring in CASH. I would say it is doing a great job so far considering all the complaints of people spending $100's of real dollars for a chance at virtual items. No one is guaranteed that super rare item that's what makes it super rare.
Member of Squadron 11-11-11