Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Kaggath Series: Grievous vs Malgus

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Kaggath Series: Grievous vs Malgus

Warren-Stride
11.17.2012 , 06:23 PM | #11
Considering that the Kaggath is all about power bases, I still think the General would win all the way. He has hundreds of worlds (the Separatists) backing him. Honestly I feel like Malgus has more enemies than allies, and while enemies don't matter, I still feel like he's just so unpopular (with other Sith/ Imperials) that his support would be very small (compared).

[Off topic:
Next Kaggath Suggestion: GOTO vs. Jabba the Hutt
Or some other underworld battle. I love the underworld!]

Beniboybling
11.18.2012 , 05:22 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
[Off topic:
Next Kaggath Suggestion: GOTO vs. Jabba the Hutt
Or some other underworld battle. I love the underworld!]
Aha! I never thought of the underworld! I've got 3 others lined up already but underworld never came to mind, thanks for the suggestion

MasterMe
11.18.2012 , 07:10 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Aha! I never thought of the underworld! I've got 3 others lined up already but underworld never came to mind, thanks for the suggestion
Sounds great! This is a very interesting topic that's worth debating. Can't wait to see the other ones.

JekRendar
11.18.2012 , 02:44 PM | #14
Power-wise, Malgus is close to if not slightly more powerful than Dooku. So, if we consider that Dooku wiped the floor with Grevious several times over, and is also a better strategist, then Malgus would beat Grevious. The General is always about overwhelming his opponents; he's a coward. So, if he can't overwhelm Malgus, he'll stay alive long enough until he can. Grevious would win the war of attrition.
Star Wars Galaxies (Starsider): June 27, 2003 - December 15, 2011

ReiKai
11.18.2012 , 08:06 PM | #15
"Trillions of battle droids"? Hardly guys. He doesn't have that many. Not even a one one-hundredth of that. I wonder if anyone even watches TCW. I believe in one episode, those of the Banking Clans stated something along the lines of; "Well the Separatists just applied for a loan to commission another three-million battle droids." To which one of the Republic Senators cried out "Three million?! They'll wipe us out!"

If three-million droids is all it takes to threaten the Republic at that point, it's truly a sad, sad day in SW.

Now, with the Kaggath, even as it is a battle which includes power bases, if Grievous is killed, it doesn't matter how much of his power base is left, as without him it's an auto-loss. You could think of it like Chess. Once the King is captured, it doesn't matter how many pieces you still have left on the board. You've already lost. Malgus wrecks Grievous in combat. There's no question. And as far as armies go...

Even if you remove the Foundry level from Malgus' station, that only means he doesn't have an infinitely spawning army of droids. He still has an invisible, undetectable armada of ships, and his space station is invisible as well. Plus he has numerous alliances with non-human species who all serve him, as well as scientists that continue to devise and create weapons for him. This includes technology from the Colicoids.

All Grievous has are droids, droids and, guess what? More droids. That's it. He has no super-weapons, aside from that super ion-cannon on the Malevolence, which can be easily taken out by a fighter squadron. And when you have squadrons of invisible ships, Grievous has zero chance of winning in that kind of battle.

Grievous is a coward. Flat out. He never fights 1v1 unless he is assured victory. And when it becomes clear he won't win, he either runs away or calls in droids to intervene and pressure his opponent so he can get an opening. Malgus will take him apart.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Warren-Stride
11.18.2012 , 09:55 PM | #16
Quote:
You could think of it like Chess. Once the King is captured, it doesn't matter how many pieces you still have left on the board. You've already lost.
The thing is, as you said, Grievous is a coward and won't get captured. We've seen him escape many times, he'll do it again. In this Kaggath it would not come down to a one on one fight.

ReiKai
11.18.2012 , 11:09 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
The thing is, as you said, Grievous is a coward and won't get captured. We've seen him escape many times, he'll do it again. In this Kaggath it would not come down to a one on one fight.
The only reason why Grievous escapes so often is because of Plot Protection. If he didn't appear in Ep3, they'd have killed him off already. That's all it is. For such things like Vs debates and so forth, that won't cut it. He doesn't have the Plot keeping him from being offed. The same can be said for Malgus. He may not get to stay as the "Emperor". Here, Grievous won't have to wait for Obi-Wan to smoke him. And has been said before, Malgus has other Sith on his side, including Darth Serevin.

Warren-Stride
11.19.2012 , 07:00 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ReiKai View Post
The only reason why Grievous escapes so often is because of Plot Protection. If he didn't appear in Ep3, they'd have killed him off already. That's all it is. For such things like Vs debates and so forth, that won't cut it. He doesn't have the Plot keeping him from being offed. The same can be said for Malgus. He may not get to stay as the "Emperor". Here, Grievous won't have to wait for Obi-Wan to smoke him. And has been said before, Malgus has other Sith on his side, including Darth Serevin.
I don't understand how plot protection is a valid argument.... Everything is about plots.....

Saying that a character lacks an ability and only shows it because they need to in order for the story to continue is like saying Luke doesn''t really have the Force but to keep the story going they let him use it.
Plots exist for a reason, and that's to show off the characters abilities and strengths/weaknesses WHILE the story continues.

Malgus would not have survived a grenade to the face as well as being buried under a montain if not for plot. If he did not appear in The False Empoper, he would have been killed before the game even started. So if Grievous isn't an escape artist, Malgus isn't a juggernaught.

ReiKai
11.19.2012 , 07:47 AM | #19
Clearly you're misunderstanding. Plot Protection keeps a character from being killed until a certain point. And, btw, if Malgus died on Alderaan then he wouldn't have appeared on Coruscant during the Sacking. Things like this are used to maintain Continuity. However, such is Irrelevant here because this is not a story written within the confines of the SWU. It is a hypothetical scenario falling outside of the Story which prevents such characters from being offed.

For example, Obi-Wan was protected by Plot in Ep1 when fighting Maul. Maul had the upper hand and clearly would've (should've) won and killed Obi-Wan. However, since they needed to preserve continuity, PIS were induced to allow Maul's defeat. That would be Plot Induced Stupidity. Which generally involves making a character act out-of-character. It's what keeps villains from offing heroes and makes them give long-winded monologues instead of just getting the job done. PIS/CIS is a constant tool in fiction for the sake of story development and keeping certain characters around until they are no longer needed.

However, once more, such a thing does not apply here. And Grievous' cowardice is not a special power. Malgus surviving Satele's Force Blast is more evidence of how tough he is, and it was the reason for his respirator.

schwartzpedro
11.19.2012 , 07:55 AM | #20
Remember what Grievous did on the Tartakovsky's Clone War Series: he was a ****** , not a coward.He was fast,4 arms + using legs + spider-like abilites+ using walls and cellings. Tough fight,but he'd win a duel.

All out war?Tough call too.Maybe a ruined galaxy for an Android to rule?