Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Renaming ALL of my characters?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Renaming ALL of my characters?

Tuskin
11.18.2012 , 06:19 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Voodoo_Papa View Post
Use alt code characters in replace of one of the letters in your name
You already suggested that on page 1 and they decided against it.

Truffula
11.18.2012 , 06:21 PM | #22
It's not true that they gave any priority to length of play or subscriptions when choosing who got to keep the name. In several cases I know of, a person kept the name who was low level, hadn't played in a long time, and wasn't subscribed, while the person with the same name who had been subscribed since pre-order and was higher level and more recently played as well had to change it. In at least one case I personally had to change one character's name twice, my first one to get his legacy, and I'd been subscribed since a week after beta; and he had to change when I did the voluntary transfer and then again when they merged more people onto that server.

I'm pretty sure it was entirely random and those who kept most of their names just got lucky.

NONE of my names I had to change were in any way related to star wars lore, at least not that I know of. I had to change "Myles" "Daman" "Cryss" "Marsh" "Nil" "Lethe" and several others -- Daman and Lethe being fairly high level and played since the first week of the game... I don't care for the alt letters so I mostly just changed or added a letter (Daman became Daiman, Cryss became Tryss, Nil became Nilu) or just gave them a completely different name with the same basic theme (Lethe became Nepenthe).

Mrpooba
11.18.2012 , 06:22 PM | #23
I just don't see we can't have multiple same-names if we have a different legacy name.
Sandbox > Themepark

SamuraBob_Fl
11.18.2012 , 06:25 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Truffula View Post
It's not true that they gave any priority to length of play or subscriptions when choosing who got to keep the name. In several cases I know of, a person kept the name who was low level, hadn't played in a long time, and wasn't subscribed, while the person with the same name who had been subscribed since pre-order and was higher level and more recently played as well had to change it. In at least one case I personally had to change one character's name twice, my first one to get his legacy, and I'd been subscribed since a week after beta; and he had to change when I did the voluntary transfer and then again when they merged more people onto that server.

I'm pretty sure it was entirely random and those who kept most of their names just got lucky.

NONE of my names I had to change were in any way related to star wars lore, at least not that I know of. I had to change "Myles" "Daman" "Cryss" "Marsh" "Nil" "Lethe" and several others -- Daman and Lethe being fairly high level and played since the first week of the game... I don't care for the alt letters so I mostly just changed or added a letter (Daman became Daiman, Cryss became Tryss, Nil became Nilu) or just gave them a completely different name with the same basic theme (Lethe became Nepenthe).
Orly?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=533664
...they'd never come to see me in this dive, where bikers stare at cowboys, who are laughing at the hippies, who are praying they'll get out of here alive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bplt6CQ3MyE

Truffula
11.18.2012 , 06:33 PM | #25
They claimed that, yep, but I see zero evidence of it being true. As in, I had to rename the same character twice who I'd been playing since the beginning of the game, and found several examples of people in my guild who had to rename level 50 characters when someone in the low teens kept the name.

Wraith_Shadow
11.18.2012 , 11:45 PM | #26
wow.... a lot of angry people on these forums....

All i really wanted to know was if there was any way around it or to check if names were actually taken. I didn't expect to get any hate for it. The names i'd chosen weren't anything star wars either, and admittedly some were a little more common but then again some weren't so it surprised me when even those were gone, although no one really answered if there was a way to check if a name was taken or not. Or is it the basic "if it doesn't work, it's taken" method?

One of the better ways i've seen to do the naming is to base it off of your username, so instead of being "boba fett" you'd be "boba fett@hanshotfirst" which gives a lot more freedom when it comes to the naming as well as allowing you to add friends by user instead of per character. They even have an option to let you turn off @names so you only see the boba fett part.

Elysith
11.19.2012 , 12:02 AM | #27
Any character's name on your account that caught the "red mark" during the server merges, means there was at least two characters using the same name each on a different servers. One of them got to keep it while the other(s) have to rename theirs.

So yes the names are "taken" and that's why you have to rename your characters.