Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Renaming ALL of my characters?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Renaming ALL of my characters?

Monoth
11.18.2012 , 05:39 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by MilleniumSolo View Post
Likewise, one could argue that those who were not willing to pre-order for a chance to claim their name(s) should cut their losses and grow up. See how that works? Guild Wars 2 nailed it by making names region specific, not server specific. That way, if I go back to Guild Wars 2 three months from now and they've merged servers, I won't have to worry about having to rename a character I spent hundreds of hours on.
QQ

Sucks to be you I guess......
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

CelCawdro
11.18.2012 , 05:41 PM | #12
It's quite annoying, but the system they (ultimately) used was fair. Frankly, I wish I hadn't voluntarily transferred my characters, as the forced transfer took into account whether or not the account was active, the level of the character and time played to "score" a character and matched that against any conflicts.

MilleniumSolo
11.18.2012 , 05:44 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
QQ

Sucks to be you I guess......
I was speaking in general. Sorry to disappoint you, but I only played SWTOR for about a week after it launched. I never really developed any sort of attachment to my characters. But please, by all means, continue being a complete assh*le.

Lord_Ravenhurst
11.18.2012 , 05:44 PM | #14
BW screwed up their naming system from the very beginning. They had no clue and the mergers made it worse with people losing their names and getting mad about it. GW2 does it better, TSW does it better too. In TSW, names are unique accross all dimensions of the game, but only the middle name is "unique", you can choose your first name and surname (like our Legacy name) freely, even if someone else has the same name.

Voodoo_Papa
11.18.2012 , 05:46 PM | #15
Use alt code characters in replace of one of the letters in your name

Storm-Cutter
11.18.2012 , 05:47 PM | #16
It would appear that everyone wanted 'boba fett,' 'Obi wan' and 'han solo' etc. - Everyone without a shred of imagination, that is. I don't wish to sound unkind to the OP, but if you can't think of an original name, you really aren't trying.
-Storm Cutter.

Monoth
11.18.2012 , 05:52 PM | #17
I was speaking in general. Sorry to disappoint you, but I only played SWTOR for about a week after it launched. I never really developed any sort of attachment to my characters. But please, by all means, continue being a complete assh*le.
I just think it's funny how people always say " X Game is so superior, so much better " and yet here they are hanging out in the game they say they despise..... GW2 is not the great success people try to claim it is, hell only a few months after they release it there sending out emails offering people free trials... seems ArenaNet is getting desperate quick...
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

MilleniumSolo
11.18.2012 , 06:04 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
I just think it's funny how people always say " X Game is so superior, so much better " and yet here they are hanging out in the game they say they despise..... GW2 is not the great success people try to claim it is, hell only a few months after they release it there sending out emails offering people free trials... seems ArenaNet is getting desperate quick...
Are you referring to me? If so, do you have issues with reading comprehension by any chance? You're grabbing conclusions out of THIN AIR. I drew one comparison (that's not even gameplay related) to a recent MMO. Did I once, once claim that Guild Wars 2 (or any other game for that matter) is superior to SWTOR? No. Did I state that I despise SWTOR? No. In fact, I re-subbed to this game about a week ago. All I said was that I personally feel that ANet handled their character naming system better than EA/BioWare. That's all.

Xargyn
11.18.2012 , 06:15 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraith_Shadow View Post
Is there any way i can tell if the names are really being used or if i just need to retype them for the new merged servers? And do i have any options to help me not lose the names i've had since before launch?
If they were available for use, then you wouldn't have to rename them.

I've used the same screen name since the mid 90s and it's not allowed in TOR. I finally came up with another one I liked, and lost it in the first server merge, which was voluntary. But then came the forced server merge and I also wish I hadn't changed servers so I would have at least had a chance to keep the name.

Sure, it's frustrating. But no more so than for the people that tried to use your names when you were an inactive account.
CE VIP Remember when this was a big deal?

Cretinus
11.18.2012 , 06:19 PM | #20
Likewise, one could argue that those who were not willing to pre-order for a chance to claim their name(s) should cut their losses and grow up. See how that works?
No. I don't see how that works. The guy quitted the game and was not paying his sub when the decisions about the toons' names were made, so he's basically not entitled to anything, in particular not if it acts against the interests of somebody who was a paying customer at that time.
Fact is: Guard urgently needs to place a lockout debuff on the target.