Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why no Stealth for Snipers???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Why no Stealth for Snipers???

CaptainApop
11.18.2012 , 05:16 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbarabba View Post
Nobody loses, therefore everybody wins!
Relativistically the operative loses.
"I bind kolto probes to Q, partially for the convenience but mostly for the irony"

Subterfuge legacy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Rabbarabba
11.18.2012 , 12:33 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainApop View Post
Relativistically the operative loses.
The sniper having the ability to stealth only in PvE, with no abilities such as sap, brings no harm to the operative

It will never happen though.

Rabbarabba
11.18.2012 , 12:44 PM | #23
Someone mentioned that RL snipers use camouflage, and not stealth.

I would be in favor of something simple, such as turning off the red nameplate of enemy snipers / gunslingers when they are in cover, and briefly turning back on when they pop up to shoot at someone.

NoTomorrow
11.26.2012 , 02:17 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by GalaxyStrong View Post
Noob Question

Why don't Sniper's get Stealth. I would really love to have it for my sniper. Is it a balancing issue and if so could someone please explain why? I feel like im missing out on part of the Agent Experince without the stealth ability.

Thank you
if we got stealth, then we would definetely loose the immunity to leaps and even probably immunity to interrupts. As i doubt than any sane designer would give us both. So no, i like my cover and its bonuses.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

KcirSirrah
11.26.2012 , 12:58 PM | #25
Well I can see the point here. A sniper is sneaky to get within range of his target so stealth would make sense.
Charcters lvl 50-55: Clectama (55 Oper.) Purpledeath (55 Merc.), Jystri (55 Sorc), Encumer (55 Com), Seventhhammer (55 Jug)

Solarenergy
11.26.2012 , 01:10 PM | #26
Not real stealth, but an ability like marauders get would be nice. We are a pure dps class just like they are. Makes sense if we had a Houdini trick that made us disappear for 4 seconds every now and then.

angrydurf
11.29.2012 , 10:28 AM | #27
It's a realism vs. mechanics issue. Realistically even sniper agents should be trained in some stealth type abilities. However in terms of game mechanics stealth is a gap closer ability used by melee DPS to close in with enemies and not face fire while getting in range. As snipers endeavor to engage from max range it is from the perspective of game mechanics pointless to have stealth.

In PvE we engage outside of aggro range. Stealth has no use. In PvP as has been explained it's limited utility would be exploitative and unbalanced really only useful for harassing people (mostly lower level players) in open world PvP situations.

The only real benefit of stealth would be to stealth past mobs in some quests however due to mob spacing and our range of engagement it would mostly lead to more chance of pulling adds since we need to engage from range not in the same space as a group of mobs.
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post

Star Wars: The Old Republic is the spritual successor to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, also made by BioWare, and not any other game.

GalaxyStrong
11.30.2012 , 12:51 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by angrydurf View Post
It's a realism vs. mechanics issue. Realistically even sniper agents should be trained in some stealth type abilities. However in terms of game mechanics stealth is a gap closer ability used by melee DPS to close in with enemies and not face fire while getting in range. As snipers endeavor to engage from max range it is from the perspective of game mechanics pointless to have stealth.

In PvE we engage outside of aggro range. Stealth has no use. In PvP as has been explained it's limited utility would be exploitative and unbalanced really only useful for harassing people (mostly lower level players) in open world PvP situations.

The only real benefit of stealth would be to stealth past mobs in some quests however due to mob spacing and our range of engagement it would mostly lead to more chance of pulling adds since we need to engage from range not in the same space as a group of mobs.
I'm with you on the PVP thing but, couldn't it be argued that while a Mara uses that ability to close the gap between an enemy for melee, a Sniper could use that ability to widen the gap between him and another enemy buying the sniper precious time to continue his long range attack or channel an ability or to just plain escape from a sticky situation.
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

angrydurf
12.01.2012 , 11:17 PM | #29
Well force camouflage isn't stealth. It is a vaguely stealth themed defensive cooldown/detaunt. There may be room for a similar ability for snipers but I don't feel like we need another button to be less squishy and even thematically an effect that has us vanish after engaging seems counter to the spirit of sniper style camo/stealth.

Regardless of that though it just isn't stealth at all so not really the point. My point stands outside of limited PvP griefy situations it would be of basically no use to have stealth (like hide and be untargetable till attack stealth). I find that I like the idea of stationary camo alot more than I'd ever like having it I guess.
Quote: Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller View Post

Star Wars: The Old Republic is the spritual successor to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, also made by BioWare, and not any other game.