Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to run SWTOR on Linux/WIne

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How to run SWTOR on Linux/WIne

rawfox
11.18.2012 , 08:35 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JDThree View Post
I agree we want to improve vanilla but unless we actually have the necessary skills to do so it's useless and Wine won't accept bug reports when using 3rd party patches so it doesn’t make a lot of sense to cut down solutions like this for people who fall into that category. This is EASY & it WORKS, end of story.
Because of the mising skills, i wrote some basics.
It was not meant, to offend anyone or to question other people's solutions.
You gotto agree, when you read "you have to install all vcrun..." well, there is not mutch knowledge behind and the whole thing is confusing enuff anyways, no need to spread additional half-knowledge, even if everyone apriciates the effort, to offer a way to make it work.

Quoting myself, in case it was overseen ...
Quote:
Ofcause you can use something like a "wine-swtor" but it is not recommended because in best case it is "compatible", but far from "good" or "optimal".
We are haircutting, let end it now.

JDThree
11.18.2012 , 08:42 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by rawfox View Post
Dont use things like PlayOnLinux or Crossover, simple because if you dont know, what you did before, you for sure lose entire control with such tools.
I never said, using a PlayOnLinux method is wrong. Read again.
Oh.. kay.. this ^ confused me but I'll drop it.

And your right.. "installing VCRUN" is vague and confusing for people so.. maybe we can get together and write a proper guide here for people. Click this, add this on this tab of PoL.. seems simpler than trying to walk people through a build on whatever distro they may be using. Up until I found this post I was under the impression that newer versions of SWTOR didn't work at all.. so I'm glad a found it.. made me realize a few key things.

Only trouble with writing a guide is it takes like 4 hours for the game to actually install. :/

rawfox
11.18.2012 , 08:52 AM | #13
Yeah Sir, the problem is, there is no other solution yet, then a precompiled wine.
Nobody can expect from a one week Linux user, to raid the sources.

The "right" solution arrives, when the wine coders fixed the user_shared_data thingy in wine itself.
Then it will run out of the box ^^
This may need some weeks more.

I am not using Suse, im on Fedora.
Why doesnt it run from source in suse ?
I mean, Suse is certified at all ^^

NasherUK
11.18.2012 , 08:57 AM | #14
I got it running using PlayOnLinux in Mint 13. But...

It runs nowhere near as smooth as it does under windows. Also a few things just don't work, like texture atlasing, so you have to put up with low res character textures

JDThree
11.18.2012 , 08:58 AM | #15
Yeah Sir, the problem is, there is no other solution yet, then a precompiled wine.
Nobody can expect from a one week Linux user, to raid the sources.

The "right" solution arrives, when the wine coders fixed the user_shared_data thingy in wine itself.
Then it will run out of the box ^^
This may need some weeks more.

I am not using Suse, im on Fedora.
Why doesnt it run from source in suse ?
I mean, Suse is certified at all ^^
I think the problem is something else. The real way to get to the bottom of it is to build 1.5.1 with the KUSER patch then we'll know for sure that version 1.5.1 works for me but 1.5.6< do not. I am starting to think this has to do with a sound issue because when I would launch it with 1.5.6+ it goes black and I hear the music from the char select screen for about 2 seconds then nothing. With 1.5.1 I have audio corruption as well but it doesn’t hang.. so perhaps my sound card can't handle whatever it's throwing at it.. not sure. I may try to find ways to speed up the audio system and see if that helps.

rawfox
11.18.2012 , 09:05 AM | #16
When i login and start/launch the game, it goes black for about 2 minutes !
or 3

Is your HDD active in that time ?
Mine is hard at work that time, the initial loading of the game and first "on planet" needs ~5 minutes here and i has a big smile pc ^^
Logout and relogin went faster then.

Maybe you gotta wait somewhat more, when it goes black ?

rawfox
11.18.2012 , 09:21 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by NasherUK View Post
I got it running using PlayOnLinux in Mint 13. But...

It runs nowhere near as smooth as it does under windows. Also a few things just don't work, like texture atlasing, so you have to put up with low res character textures
For Antialias in wine, you gotta select multisampling.
You can use winetricks for it.

alexzk
11.18.2012 , 10:28 AM | #18
About sound guys. It's bad :/ Well, I have 3 detected devices,

1. on nvidia
2. integrated on mb
3. wireless usb dongle

With usb ALSA fails that it has not enough data in stream, I decided that it is hardware caching problem and just use integrated while play, all others are disabled. However it still lose sound, mostly when I do alt+tab while loading. Quick fix is alt+tab to anything, connect/disconnect dongle and sounds back on embedded.

Have no idea why I'm 3rd week on Linux only.

About graphics - I was using on Windows low-medium, so having same on Linux is enough for me
Also I have steady sound lost doing Void Star + lags during and after that. So now I just leave this WZ immediatlly, i suspect same bug/leak as with map markers.
There is no ignorance - there is knowledge.

alexzk
11.18.2012 , 10:32 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by JDThree View Post
Oh also in your guide I had some trouble understanding what you meant by "game itself" I see that you made a new process in PlayOnLinux and then added the augments to that.. at first I didn't understand how to do that though as I've never used PlayOnLinux before.
Just a name for shortcut i created to "swtor.exe" meaning it points to start game without launcher.

alexzk
11.18.2012 , 10:47 AM | #20
Also here:

Creating interfaces...
bwa::RemoteMetricsCallbacksHandler::IID
bwa::RemoteRendererInterface::IID
WARNING: Slow RemoteRenderer connection (1.24 seconds)

That is time when HDD is hard going after huge pause while game starts. I suspect it can be something with sockets emulation or memory mapping emulation. However, I have biggest game's files on SSD + swap on SSD so not sure why HDD should go.

Any ideas what to check? Maybe different swap style? Windows "connects" exes or any other files to swap. They dont moved physically into, they just become part of memory space. So if game do same with that huge files, what will linux do ? Cache it in memory/swap? It can take time to load 20 Gb yes...