Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cartel Market will have opposite effect than intended

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Cartel Market will have opposite effect than intended

KhalDrogoe
11.17.2012 , 11:01 PM | #1
Because you decided to go the fail Battle Master Bag route, people aren't going to bother with the gambling anymore.

The point of the market I thought was to provide a few extra things for people to use their coins on. Now instead of wanting to keep money in your pockets, I predict that no one is going to dish out anymore for the the rolling of the bags. I can see them going to 3rd party sites to buy credits (cheaper than your cartel coins) and just buying whatever they want that way.

If you're wanting a continued successful in-game store for people to dump their money into, make it worthwhile, or else they're just going to go to 3rd party websites that can ACTUALLY OFFER THEM the things they want.

PatBeal
11.17.2012 , 11:06 PM | #2
what the heck are you talking about

WillCaedes
11.17.2012 , 11:11 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by PatBeal View Post
what the heck are you talking about
He's talking about the fact people are f'n tired of gambling for cool loot. Granted I agree with this sentiment, but it does keep the cool loot rare....and unless someone steps in and regulates the industry you can expect to see more gambling boxes in MMO's. *shrugs*
Audio Customization for Weapons:
Thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...45#post7864645
Poll: http://goo.gl/Y1Mvfk

AndorrisTolpa
11.17.2012 , 11:20 PM | #4
In regards to your question, Patbeal, the author of this post is talking about the flaws of the new Cartel Packs that were intended to have players buy them for a chance at unique items, but they will actually make players not want to risk the gamble. This in turn makes said players turn to other sites in order to buy credits for them to buy the items in the game, which makes the Cartel Market obsolete.

I agree with you that the new packs are a gamble; however they're a gamble for a reason. Bioware created these packs for players to have a chance at unique items that you can't get anywhere else. Also, it is my understanding that these packs aren't available for sale with ordinary credits. Without the cartel coins, players won't be able to get these unique items. So in summary, these packs do encourage a gamble, but they offer enough diverse rewards to keep the packs relevant.
~Live~Laugh~Love~

lollie
11.17.2012 , 11:26 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AndorrisTolpa View Post
Also, it is my understanding that these packs aren't available for sale with ordinary credits. Without the cartel coins, players won't be able to get these unique items.
You can sell the packs for creds on the GTN...also people will just buy what they want from GTN using, as OP suggested, creds sourced from who knows where...

CAUTION: DO NOT LOAD SWTOR UNLESS YOU HAVE AFTER-MARKET COOLING INSTALLED!!

PatBeal
11.17.2012 , 11:27 PM | #6
so someone will still need to buy the packs to get the items to put on the GTN in order for the person who buys credits to buy them, I don't see where EA / Biowear loses on that

FourTwent
11.18.2012 , 12:18 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by lollie View Post
You can sell the packs for creds on the GTN...also people will just buy what they want from GTN using, as OP suggested, creds sourced from who knows where...
this is what I did. i have been playing the GTN game for months and saving up. blew 40 million over 2 days, got everything i wanted and extras for my alts, and i didn't even need to spend any real money on gambling packs

awesome system they have i thought

AshlaBoga
11.18.2012 , 12:23 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by FourTwent View Post
this is what I did. i have been playing the GTN game for months and saving up. blew 40 million over 2 days, got everything i wanted and extras for my alts, and i didn't even need to spend any real money on gambling packs

awesome system they have i thought
40 million credits? You must have played the GTN for a quite a while.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

scaramunja
11.18.2012 , 02:11 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by WillCaedes View Post
He's talking about the fact people are f'n tired of gambling for cool loot. Granted I agree with this sentiment, but it does keep the cool loot rare....and unless someone steps in and regulates the industry you can expect to see more gambling boxes in MMO's. *shrugs*
working as intended,
There are no lightside zabrak avatars

Majic, Shadow

Rehneu
11.18.2012 , 03:21 AM | #10
There was a posting made by someone who spent over $240.00 already in extra cartel coins. That alone, is equal to 16 new paid subs. I personally did not spend anywhere near that amount however, I did purchase some more coins for a bit of a gamble and fun on some bags. Between my paid subscription and my extra coins, I provided BW with about 3 accounts for the month. 2 of which would be considered new.

Just a couple examples here. But indeed, this is working just as they had planned. They are making money now hand over fist. I personally hope they continue to make money so the enjoyment this game brings to some continues.

No one, has said for anyone to purchase just cartel packs or underworld ones. There are other things you can purchase that do not include the gamble.