Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Make Names Unexclusive

oakleysds
11.14.2012 , 06:04 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by LordAndarus View Post
I can relate.

This just makes characters seem more like avatars and tools, not people who we spend time developing and growing. It creates some sort of disconnect.
I can't bring myself to delete the character but i don't think I will ever play him again. It just feels... wrong. He use to be something great, but now he is a fake, a lie.

LordAndarus
11.14.2012 , 06:21 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by oakleysds View Post
I can't bring myself to delete the character but i don't think I will ever play him again. It just feels... wrong. He use to be something great, but now he is a fake, a lie.
I'll never delete my characters, but this will always haunt me, no matter what happens. I still feel it is such a simple request.

Who knows, maybe they're being sneaky and will wipe the names of inactive accounts after 1.5, to avoid name hoarding during the moments after.

oakleysds
11.14.2012 , 06:24 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by LordAndarus View Post
I'll never delete my characters, but this will always haunt me, no matter what happens. I still feel it is such a simple request.

Who knows, maybe they're being sneaky and will wipe the names of inactive accounts after 1.5, to avoid name hoarding during the moments after.
Well, It would be too late for me. I already changed Sargeras' name. There is nothing left of him. Just a skeleton and a shadow.

natashina
11.14.2012 , 07:27 PM | #44
I can say that while I have a bit of a different opinion than the OP, I can certainly relate to their frustration. Three of my toon names had to be changed during the server merger, one of which was my former main. It was somewhat paining to have to change her name. Admittedly that was my own fault for naming her after a character from the Dragonlance Chronicles.

I've been reading the thread. Some of the ideas like the @ tag are decent, but I'd rather not look at a bunch of players with the same name with the @ tag. Same with the numbers idea that I think would be a nightmare to type. Adding friends, putting people on ignore and sending mail would be a complete cluster in my humble opinion.

However, I do really like the idea of their being several guys named Fred (in this case) with the last name to tell them apart. Being able to be, say, "Johnny Cash" (yep, seen one on my server, Imp side) and while allowing another player to be able to be "Johnny Smith." That would make it a good way to add in some realism too. My actual first name for insistence isn't very common, but there was four other girls in my graduating class with the same name (out of a class of 510 students.) One of them shared the same spelling with me. I wouldn't find it a big deal to have to use a toon's first name and Legacy last name to send off mail to my alts/guildies, add friends, use /tell or ignore jerks. It would be a little more typing, but I'd have no problem doing it that way.

LordAndarus
11.14.2012 , 08:23 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I can say that while I have a bit of a different opinion than the OP, I can certainly relate to their frustration. Three of my toon names had to be changed during the server merger, one of which was my former main. It was somewhat paining to have to change her name. Admittedly that was my own fault for naming her after a character from the Dragonlance Chronicles.

I've been reading the thread. Some of the ideas like the @ tag are decent, but I'd rather not look at a bunch of players with the same name with the @ tag. Same with the numbers idea that I think would be a nightmare to type. Adding friends, putting people on ignore and sending mail would be a complete cluster in my humble opinion.

However, I do really like the idea of their being several guys named Fred (in this case) with the last name to tell them apart. Being able to be, say, "Johnny Cash" (yep, seen one on my server, Imp side) and while allowing another player to be able to be "Johnny Smith." That would make it a good way to add in some realism too. My actual first name for insistence isn't very common, but there was four other girls in my graduating class with the same name (out of a class of 510 students.) One of them shared the same spelling with me. I wouldn't find it a big deal to have to use a toon's first name and Legacy last name to send off mail to my alts/guildies, add friends, use /tell or ignore jerks. It would be a little more typing, but I'd have no problem doing it that way.
I guess you're right, the legacy combination thing is probably the best idea out there when it comes to this. I can see how any sort of @handle would become rather cumbersome.

philipwonder
11.14.2012 , 09:18 PM | #46
I absolutely think that Characters' first names should become non exlusive. As long as there is a last name or legacy name or some other kind of handle, it shouldn't be a problem with identification or mailing and no one will be forced to try to add a ridiculous number of extra letters to their chars' name. I can completely relate to the frustration associated with losing a character that you've spent countless hours working on, and I really hope Bioware takes this seriously. I honestly don't see myself picking this game back up again until this situation is remedied.