Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

CaptRavenous's Avatar


CaptRavenous
11.12.2012 , 09:59 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
And btw, if you actually checked yourself you'd see the 1.4 items are updated and in their database.

Stop making assumptions.
Yeah, and SW:TOR Spy Database is still seeing updates. SW:TOR is being supported by fan sites just fine.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

disent's Avatar


disent
11.13.2012 , 09:14 AM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by -Silver- View Post
Yep. It's a perfectly good game, but it's not great. It's not even close to great. The voiced storylines are fantastic, but it's been almost a year now without any update to them. Everything else is taken from WoW and implemented with less polish. Even little quality-of-life things like the camera and micro-stutter need more work. And don't give me "WoW has been out for 7 years" nonsense. Why don't you go release a brand new phone on the market with features equivalent to a phone from 2005 and see if the "Apple has had products on the market for longer" argument flies. People pay for a service, and they will want to pay for the best one. Compete properly, or don't compete at all...........
I'll be happy to give you the "WoW has been out of 7 years" nonsense.

You are comparing two very different things.
The amount of time that went into building the features of our phones 10 years ago might even be more than the time they spend on building the ones we have now. None of this matters, all that matters is that stuff requires TIME.
We would have all those "basic features" (that only exist in WoW and Rift) if there were no voice acted quests etc, but I'd choose those anytime.
If a company is not making back their investment they can't just go "oh yeaaa lets sit back and make some new content".
This will only help them keep some of the current subscribers, BUT they must focus on bringing in more players and just hope that the current ones wont leave before they can actually work on new content.
They just need to fix the population problem FIRST(which imo is the actual "basic" thing we need) and once they see things are going as they should they can spend ALL their time on new stuff.

They can't invest that much MORE time and money into this game before the population grows.

All of you who are so mad about SWTOR failing are actually the cause, if I had not already tried SWTOR I would of come on these forums and read all the negative crap and think "Oh ok this game is ****/dead, NEXT"
and this is what happens a lot. Stop with all the "SWTOR sucks" crap because it's easily better than 99% of all MMOs.
I'm pretty sure most people here have only played the most known MMOs like WoW, Rift, GW, but there are actually hundreds more.
All the MMOs I've played so far have some kind of problem that makes me quit, but only real problem I see with SWTOR is the crappy engine they used which makes FPS you get based on luck.

Something that most of you will find funny is that there was also a reason why I quit WoW and that was TOO MUCH CONTENT.
I don't want to LIVE in a game and there was seriously too much to do and I just can't compete without spending all my time there. Games should not be like a second job that requires even more time than your actual one.




For the record I re-subscribed a bit earlier than planned just to reply.

-Silver-'s Avatar


-Silver-
11.14.2012 , 02:43 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by disent View Post
Stop with all the "SWTOR sucks" crap because it's easily better than 99% of all MMOs.
Hehe. Well that's all down to personal opinion, but if that was the popular opinion then SWTOR wouldn't be struggling to even maintain half a million subs. It's a game with some fantastic potential, but come on man, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how unpolished the game is compared to its more popular competitors. Micro-stutter, camera issues, ability delay, etc, all contribute to give the game a "feel" of being average in quality. Try switching between WoW, GW2, and SWTOR, and you'll notice these little performance issues.

And before you say it's my PC, I run on a SSD with an i7, 16GB RAM, and two GTX 560 Ti's in SLI, and although the framerate stays at 60fps almost constantly, I still get regular micro-stutter. The camera issues affect everyone regardless of hardware.

And as to saying the "WoW has been out 7 years so isn't a fair comparison" argument is perfectly valid, you're missing the point completely. It's a stupid argument, because consumers don't think that way. The consumer will think "Where will I get the most for my money? Should I spend my subscription on WoW with all of its content, polish, and regular updates? Or should I spend it on SWTOR which has less content, slower updates, and performance issues?"

If you're going to release ANY product that is competing with others, you can't get away with making it inferior and expecting a free pass just because your product is newer. If anything, people expect newer products to be better.

Devlonir's Avatar


Devlonir
11.14.2012 , 04:03 AM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by -Silver- View Post
And as to saying the "WoW has been out 7 years so isn't a fair comparison" argument is perfectly valid, you're missing the point completely. It's a stupid argument, because consumers don't think that way. The consumer will think "Where will I get the most for my money? Should I spend my subscription on WoW with all of its content, polish, and regular updates? Or should I spend it on SWTOR which has less content, slower updates, and performance issues?"
I have one question for you: How many NEW players do you think WoW gets these days?

WoW is literally dying as a breed from a business sense because getting into the game is such a huge time investment, most of the experience getting to end game being exteremely bland and horribly boring, that barely any new customers go to that game anymore.

As soon as a product, any product, cannot attract new people anymore, it will eventually shrivel and die. Yes, it will take many, many years for all the millions of customers WoW has to leave the game. But they will, and they already are/have. Most of the MMO player market is filled with ex-WoW players. Many of which will never want to go back to that game again. And TOR is on a lot more radars than many here seem to think.

So to go with your point: "Where will I get the most for my money?"
From tomorrow, TOR. Because you get a full levelling experience without paying a single dollar. What you do after that, is the consumer's own decision again. But new customers will not go to WoW because it is too much to get into these days, and then they will choose between GW2 (which is also doing far worse than many here claim) and spend 60 bucks to get in and then nothing anymore for a rather bland experience, or they will pay nothing for TOR, get a nice levelling experience and then either stick around or head over to another game.

Gamers these days are NOT the brand loyal creatures they were 10 years ago. The rise and fall of every MMO launched in the last 5 years shows this. And the numbers shown for MMO's are very similar to that of any online game really. Millions of people buy it, everyone plays it for a few weeks, then Millions of people leave and a few thousand are left in the online community. Same goes for offline games even.. many people play 1 playthrough of offline games, many don't even finish that. Some stick around and look for that famed 'replayability' as their key factor.

Facts: TOR is still the second or third most popular MMO at this time (It is hard to compare it with GW2 as GW2 does not have equal comparitive tools). It has had very stable activity over all servers except Asia Pacific for the last 3 months (just check torstatus). It will go to a hybrid model tomorrow, which will add new players to the mix. It will possibly also add new features every 6 weeks as promised and, so far since the promise is made, has delivered (your point on slower updates really is hilariously wrong there).
And the final, and most important fact is this: Gamers can still come to this game and be ready for endgame in a few weeks time while having a good experience getting there, not a horrible grind from 1 to 90. And this last detail is why of all competitors, TOR has the better chance in the current state of the market.
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

-Silver-'s Avatar


-Silver-
11.14.2012 , 04:40 AM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlonir View Post
So to go with your point: "Where will I get the most for my money?"
From tomorrow, TOR. Because you get a full levelling experience without paying a single dollar. What you do after that, is the consumer's own decision again. But new customers will not go to WoW because it is too much to get into these days, and then they will choose between GW2 (which is also doing far worse than many here claim) and spend 60 bucks to get in and then nothing anymore for a rather bland experience, or they will pay nothing for TOR, get a nice levelling experience and then either stick around or head over to another game.
Yeah, more or less, though WoW isn't any harder to get into than SWTOR (it's pretty much the same mechanics)! I'm not saying SWTOR is going to fail. My post on the last page was almost entirely about the potential F2P holds for the game, and how bright the future is! The poster above just decided to quote me on calling the "WoW has a seven year advantage" argument rubbish. Which I still firmly believe is rubbish, because that's not how competition works. Consumers will, usually, pay for whatever gives them the most for their money. For some, the Star Wars universe or the voice acting is enough to make SWTOR stand out as the best. But for most, it isn't.

As for your claim that few people are starting WoW these days, my girlfriend started WoW when Cataclysm launched and still plays Mists of Pandaria today. I haven't played MoP myself, but the game looks incredibly polished for an MMO. Sadly, you're right, and most ex-WoW players want something now. We don't want to go back to the same game we've been playing for so long.

And that is exactly why I want EA to reinvest in SWTOR, and for Bioware to implement some drastic new content with something unique. Because SWTOR is just too damn similar to WoW. Especially when you compare some of its mechanics like each class having dozens of skills and items filling up three or four hotbars; mobs that "tag" to each player; quest items that aren't unique to players, leading to competition for items and theft (when you're killing a group of mobs guarding a quest item, and another player waltzes in and steals the quest item while you're in combat); standard linear quest mechanics without any real decisions (though Flashpoints have some great decisions sometimes - why isn't that approach used in single player quests?); Warzones being exactly the same as Battlegrounds; etc.

Those mechanics have all been revolutionized by GW2 to create a far more entertaining play experience, that encourages players to work together and help each other without any drawbacks. In SWTOR I see other players from my faction as competition - vying for the same mobs and quest items as I am. In GW2 I see them as allies. If I see someone fighting a group of mobs in SWTOR or WoW I think "better not interfere, I don't want to leech", whereas in GW2 I think "better help him out!" Playing GW2 makes you realize how dated and senseless some of these common mechanics are.

I love SWTOR for its strengths, since the storylines are fantastic. And I really do want F2P to work out. But for the exact reasons you pointed out that WoW isn't getting many new players, SWTOR faces the same issues. It's too much of the same, with absolutely nothing unique past the voice acting. And even that is being done in other MMOs now. I really hope Bioware cleans the game up, solves the remaining performance issues, overhauls the core mechanics regarding mob tagging and quest items, and implements some decent content that is genuinely unique (like open space, so far only EVE does it, and that's not a game for a casual crowd).

disent's Avatar


disent
11.14.2012 , 05:28 AM | #86
I never disagreed with the performance issues part and it's exactly the same problem with Rift because they use the same engine.
WoW is so smooth because it's very low poly and I haven't seen another MMO that looks as good and runs that nicely.
Girls can get into games because they are more likely to not care about "being the best" etc. but WoW is way too old for most new gamers to get into, almost everyone prefers a newer game where there are less "experts" in.

-Silver-'s Avatar


-Silver-
11.14.2012 , 05:39 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by disent View Post
Girls can get into games because they are more likely to not care about "being the best" etc.
Trust me, that's not even close to true :P

I have two close female friends who play MMOs, one being my girlfriend, and they are both obsessed with being the best.

And I still think the biggest issue with SWTOR is in how similar to WoW it is, so it doesn't feel like a new game or evolution for MMO players. Nothing to do with "experts" at all, since we all know each WoW expansion resets the leaderboards, as it were. You trade all your epics for greens.

Devlonir's Avatar


Devlonir
11.14.2012 , 06:27 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by -Silver- View Post
As for your claim that few people are starting WoW these days, my girlfriend started WoW when Cataclysm launched and still plays Mists of Pandaria today.
I think you misunderstood my point there really. As actually, I think Cataclysm was a great time to start playing WoW (with new quests all over, a reinvigorated world and a lot of players rolling new alts because of it).
As WoW is, at this time in it's life. Starting anew from scratch, what a new player does, is a daunting and very lonely task. The world you go through before you hit endgame is literally HUGE. And not many people are there as the more experienced players also feel less and less inclined to roll new alts. Heck, most die hards already have full slots of 90s, and the lesser die hards stick with the same 2 or 3 characters they have had for a while now.

Yes, you'll see a panda here and there, or someone rolling a Monk. But that is about it. Azeroth is huge, and Azeroth is extremely empty untill you reach endgame at this time. Even levelling dungeon queues take a long time. And this even ignored how horrible most of the questing experience is. This fact becomes very clear once you go from Azeroth to Outlands while levelling.. the new quests in Cataclysm are relatively fun, but then TBC and Wrath quests are, by comparison, a horrible grind compared to today's standards.

TOR, especially since server mergers, is the complete opposite. The game is done quickly enough to endgame, and the trip to 50, especially the first time, is very enjoyable. Also, at least on my server, the levelling worlds are pretty full and I hardly ever am the only one doing a quest when levelling one of my alts in any level range. It doesn't take me much effort to find the people for group quests, and if I queue for a levelling Flashpoint, even as DPS, I don't have to wait more than 30 mins to an hour on my playing hours.

For a new player, TOR is by far the more enjoyable experience to get to endgame. And seeing that it is now free, I see a lot more new players coming to TOR than WoW over the coming months, maybe even years.
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

-Silver-'s Avatar


-Silver-
11.14.2012 , 07:55 AM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlonir View Post
And seeing that it is now free, I see a lot more new players coming to TOR than WoW over the coming months, maybe even years.
I completely agree with this part. And I really hope it works out for them. F2P has a lot of potential that I feel some players are too keen to dismiss. But as for the rest of your post, there's two things you may have missed:

1) "For a new player, TOR is by far the more enjoyable experience to get to endgame." - Like you said, Cataclysm overhauled 1-60 and modernized it. It's an incredibly fun and easy-going leveling experience. For new players, experiencing the game for the first time, I'm sure WoW is just as much fun as SWTOR. I agree BC, and even Northrend to an extent, need overhauling as well, but for a player to get that far they will usually see things through to 80 where the content picks up again. And MoP's content looks amazing from what I've seen of it.

2) Regarding empty zones - I'm guessing you aren't aware of the zone merge technology Blizzard introduced a few months back. It isn't working in all the zones yet, but certainly is in most of them - especially the starter zones. Players are merged into zones regardless of server (so long as they are the same type of server: PVP, PVE, etc) so that empty areas are rarely an issue these days. It doesn't solve all of the low-pop server issues, but it's a great way of repopulating the zones. I used to meet a lot of players leveling while I was performing Archeology with my main.

Varinm's Avatar


Varinm
11.14.2012 , 03:00 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by shava View Post
But the current fashion in MMORPGs is that a vocal minority of gamers who love to guild up and raid -- let's call them the Piranhas -- dominate the social media metagame of the online world of MMOs. They spend all their free time that they are not gaming on Twitter, in comment streams, filing scathing reviews on Metacritic, you name it. Their hobby is to be gaming hipsters, essentially -- to see how snarkily and cuttingly they can shred a game to show off how sophisticated a gamer they are among their leet peers.

These are the armchair generals of MMOs.
This ^^ (emphasis added). Lots of comment sites (and even these forums) can be worse than political talk shows. It's a game, and a damn good one. Game trolls that refuse to let other people have fun are ruining the online gaming community.

These "Piranhas" keep people from wanting to swim.