Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Perhaps Mercs Need a Jetboost ability?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Perhaps Mercs Need a Jetboost ability?

CharterMonkKent's Avatar


CharterMonkKent
11.13.2012 , 09:39 PM | #21
I think most would agree that an escape would be great for merc dps (at least give it to arsenal). I'd be fine with a jump to friendly target ability. Would make the class more fun to play. Add some utility.

But as others have said, a big problem is interrupting tracer. A proc mechanic could be added to allow for non interruptible tracer. I envision a way to allow up to two stacks, proc not more more than once every 5 seconds (or so). What could proc the stacks? Maybe a few ways... on crits, when using shield, etc.
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

Smashbrother's Avatar


Smashbrother
11.13.2012 , 09:49 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
and tell me how that would make us OP?

we wouldnt gain any actual damage output. the only difference would be that when fleeing for our lives from a mara/pt/assassin we would actual be able to put up a fight.

right now, if a melee/hybrid melee enemy decides they want to kill me, there is not a lot i can do to stop them. i can try to run away and pull them out of the fight, but if they dont make several major mistakes i will die.
Because we'd **** any other ranged class since our attacks are instant, and theirs isn't. Charged bolts being instant would make assault commandos in line with pre 1.4 assault vanguards, and everyone considers their dps OP.

It also doesn't solve our problem of being unable to escape melee.

Jenzali's Avatar


Jenzali
11.13.2012 , 09:58 PM | #23
Mercs should also get a Grapple that works on friendly players.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

SajPl's Avatar


SajPl
11.13.2012 , 10:10 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Burgdawg View Post
Yes, let's make all the classes the same. We'll give all classes a charge, speed boost, and what the hell, stealth too. If you want to kite, play a different class. Mercs get heavy armor and heals, just stand there like Superman and pewpew everyone whilst the bullets bounce off your chest.
Saing merks have heavy armor so they are fine, you prove how clueless as to how the game works you are. OOO I have heavy armor and its 5% better than medium armor, its soo good against all those attacks that bypass all armor anyway. I would so much rather have medium armor and 5 defensive cooldowns along with an aoe mezz on my merk than useless heavy armor.

Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
Because we'd **** any other ranged class since our attacks are instant, and theirs isn't. Charged bolts being instant would make assault commandos in line with pre 1.4 assault vanguards, and everyone considers their dps OP.

It also doesn't solve our problem of being unable to escape melee.
Charged bolts on a 5 second cooldown. And give merks a slow ability like most classes have (force slow for example).

Nassik's Avatar


Nassik
11.13.2012 , 10:34 PM | #25
I'm a fan of a jetpack ability that takes us backwards and away from a fight. We need to get out at range. Pair the ability with a simultaneous rapid shots (looks like Jango jetting away from Obi-Wan). Rapid shots does minimal damage and offers a slight heat cooling. Make the jetpack ability instant-cast or it's pointless.

I'm all for an instant-cast tracer missile. So many of our abilities depend on the heat stacks from TM and making it instant means it can't be interrupted. Leave everything else cast so that the community doesn't scream that we're over-powered. Our big abilities (rail shot, power shot, etc.) would still be on timers.

A sentinel Force leaps at you. You utilize your jetpack ability and fly back and out of the jedi's melee range. You land, fire off one or two tracer missiles for the heat stacks (three if you've got the time), and hit rail shot (cast). The sentinel may get to you before the rail shot is fully cast or not. His Force leap is still on cool down so he's got to run to you.

In the above scenario, the bounty hunter has a chance to survive, perhaps even win. This makes the bounty hunter competitive.

The only way the bounty hunter would be overpowered is if the jetpack ability had a 0.0 second cooldown.
July 21st 2011.. The Dark Day Bioware pissed on Australia with a little yellow paragraph.

I used to be part of the Community, now I'm just Australian

Smashbrother's Avatar


Smashbrother
11.13.2012 , 11:31 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by SajPl View Post
Saing merks have heavy armor so they are fine, you prove how clueless as to how the game works you are. OOO I have heavy armor and its 5% better than medium armor, its soo good against all those attacks that bypass all armor anyway. I would so much rather have medium armor and 5 defensive cooldowns along with an aoe mezz on my merk than useless heavy armor.



Charged bolts on a 5 second cooldown. And give merks a slow ability like most classes have (force slow for example).
Putting either grav round or charged bolts on a 5s cd would screw commando dps in pve really badly.

I do agree we really need an on demand snare or root with a low cd.

There's also the issue of utility. RWZ teams will not want dps commandos (even if they can properly dps) unless they bring some utility as well. Perhaps give them a purge type skill which allows them to remove buffs from enemies (like WoW shamans), or something akin to bloodlust which would increase attack/cast speed on the group.

cashogy's Avatar


cashogy
11.13.2012 , 11:40 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
Because we'd **** any other ranged class since our attacks are instant, and theirs isn't. Charged bolts being instant would make assault commandos in line with pre 1.4 assault vanguards, and everyone considers their dps OP.

It also doesn't solve our problem of being unable to escape melee.
no, just no.

how would assault commando be in line with vanguard at all? we lack 30% armor pen on HIB. vanguards have no problem hitting just south of 5k, whereas commandos are lucky to get 4.2k

and just because an opinion is widely the same, does not make it correct.

instant tracer missile/power shot (and rep equivalents) would have no impact on damage output. is merc damage output OP right now? good god no, even under optimal circumstances. the only thing that changes is that instead of having our damage output reduced to about 20% of optimal when we are pressured by melee opponents (which is about 90% of the player base), we are able to continue being an effective member of the group by fighting back.

its like everyone is scared that Merc will suddenly stop being a free kill with instant cast TM/PS. if bioware is serious about fixing the class, that is one of the first changes they will make. luckily for all you bads, it doesnt look like bioware is serious about fixing the class

Smashbrother's Avatar


Smashbrother
11.13.2012 , 11:47 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
no, just no.

how would assault commando be in line with vanguard at all? we lack 30% armor pen on HIB. vanguards have no problem hitting just south of 5k, whereas commandos are lucky to get 4.2k
And charged bolts hits harder than ion pulse. Our attacks our also 30m, where theirs is 10m. And we still don't really have much utility either.

Quote:
and just because an opinion is widely the same, does not make it correct.
If everyone saying VGs are OP are wrong, then I guess everyone saying commandos being UP is wrong too I suppose huh? Can't have it both ways.

Quote:
instant tracer missile/power shot (and rep equivalents) would have no impact on damage output. is merc damage output OP right now? good god no, even under optimal circumstances. the only thing that changes is that instead of having our damage output reduced to about 20% of optimal when we are pressured by melee opponents (which is about 90% of the player base), we are able to continue being an effective member of the group by fighting back.

its like everyone is scared that Merc will suddenly stop being a free kill with instant cast TM/PS. if bioware is serious about fixing the class, that is one of the first changes they will make. luckily for all you bads, it doesnt look like bioware is serious about fixing the class
The only major difference between commando and vanguard assault spec is that commandos require casted abilities to reset their HIB, whereas VGs require instants. This is what makes assault commandos not that great. Making CB instant brings them in line with VGs. But unlike the VG who has to be 10m from enemies to reset HIB, commandos would be able to do this from 30m. Hence why they would be like pre 1.4 VGs.

cashogy's Avatar


cashogy
11.14.2012 , 12:02 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
The only major difference between commando and vanguard assault spec is that commandos require casted abilities to reset their HIB, whereas VGs require instants. Making CB instant brings them in line with VGs. But unlike the VG who has to be 10m from enemies to reset HIB, commandos would be able to do this from 30m. Hence why they would be like pre 1.4 VGs.
again, no. you cannot compare apples to oranges........

powertech resets with rocket punch and flame burst. flame burst is elemental damage and auto-procs CGC for an extra ~1k damage on every hit, plus the damage from the DoT. rocket punch hits reliably much harder than either Unload (which is channeled and just begging to be interrupted) and Power Shot. not to mention both are Tech attacks, which make them subject to literally no defensive rolls.

and you need to factor in the utility that Powertech has. taunts, AOE stun and grapple, plus perma-slow are worth something, and all things that Merc does not have.

and PLEASE show me a merc that can stay at ranges of 25-30m for the majority of a fight. unless the target is attacking someone else and totally ignoring the merc, its not going to happen. melee classes have too many tools to get into our faces, and then either stay there or get back quickly.

if merc is supposed to be competitive in PvP as a DPS class, we need the ability to maintain at least a semblance of our DPS output while under pressure. instant cast TM/PS give us exactly that

Macroecon's Avatar


Macroecon
11.14.2012 , 01:44 AM | #30
Just stop. They aren't going to make Tracer Missile and Power Shot insta cast abilities. They will do something minor. Like make Jet Boost, when triggered, remove any movement impairing debuffs on you. Similar to how Sorc's sprint ability works. They don't want Mercs to do more damage. They want Mercs to spend more time running away.