Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is doing all the quests important or totally optional?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Is doing all the quests important or totally optional?

Keskie
11.10.2012 , 06:17 AM | #1
I'm new here, and I'm just wondering if there is any benefit to doing all the quests - or if it's totally optional.

In some other games, I got burned when forgetting to do quests early in the game (like missed out on a later storyline).

Or missed out on some reward later in the game (like an achievement or title etc.).

Thanks!

RickyChavez
11.10.2012 , 06:42 AM | #2
It's completely unimportant. You can level up however you want. Class missions are seperate.. If you do all the planet missions, you will hit about lvl 20 and you will be always overleveled for the planet you are on instead of being in the yellow/red on enemies and level up faster. You should use your planetary comms to buy mods and put them into social orange gear that is about 2k for a set. Pvp is the only thing that will hold you back. Your pvp rank can only be that of your level, so theres no point in running pvp past your level. You also can't pool commendations or use them to buy anything until you reach lvl 50. I think you cant even get expertise on any pvp bought items until lvl 32.
Nikki'imi'nag <Adventure Time> | Sorc Heal | The Harbinger The ItsaTrap Legacy
----- Sexy -----
My Channel http://www.youtube.com/rickychavez
1.4 PVP Guide Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT3wXaobzMo

Keskie
11.10.2012 , 08:25 AM | #3
Thank you very much!

Oggthebase
11.10.2012 , 02:06 PM | #4
the game before 50 and the game at level 50 are completely different, so how you level, by going pvp, doing space missions, doing flashpoints, doing the planetary bonus missions, is entirely up to you.

Even the datacrons are optional, and you can do them at level 50 if you want to min/max your stats then.

The equivalent of achievements are the codex entries for each planet, but if you want to "catch them all" you can always come back at level 50. You won't have lost anything by not doing them.

The only caveat is probably pvp. If you want to jumpstart your gearing at level 50 pvp wise, you'll have to pvp before reaching level 50 and accumulate warzone commendations.

Ognajd
11.10.2012 , 04:00 PM | #5
You should do your class quests religiously as once you complete the end of chapter one (level 32 boss, iirc) you begin earning legacy points which give overall character perks, bonuses and unlocks.

Karkais
11.11.2012 , 05:36 AM | #6
Missions are completely optional, but if you are soloing you are going to need pretty much every quest out there to avoid falling behind in the level progress of missions. Or do pvp. Or do flashpoints etc.

ps. The story questlines are however linked to other stuff, like companion quests etc.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

onlinelegend
11.11.2012 , 05:42 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Keskie View Post
I'm new here, and I'm just wondering if there is any benefit to doing all the quests - or if it's totally optional.

In some other games, I got burned when forgetting to do quests early in the game (like missed out on a later storyline).

Or missed out on some reward later in the game (like an achievement or title etc.).

Thanks!
I'd do them for more content (class quests) side quests for the extra lvl that class quests don't give u since ur not just gonna go burn up 30 class quests each planet. And die and the enemy will resist everything cus u wouldn't be high enough lvl to kill stuff on later planets. Well side quests or fps or wz. Doesn't matter which as long as u lvl up do it or risk being lvl 30 by the time ur meant to of kill the first son or emperor so on in class quests

WEIRDLITTLEBRO
11.12.2012 , 04:04 PM | #8
SWTOR is about the journey more than the destination. While the side quests are optional, I highly recommend you don't skip them. There's lots of great story to be had.
^v^v^ <Galactic Fifth Column> ^v^v^
Republic and Empire both call us "terrorists." That's nerfdrek. Terrorists target the innocent. We're fighting to save them.
Founded March 9, 2011 | Story-Driven PvX Guild | The Ebon Hawk
Guild Website | Accepting Applications | Guild Trailer

Rooff
11.12.2012 , 06:02 PM | #9
When I level an alt I turn on the group finder first for the daily comendations and the flashpoints have level appropiate gear
While group finder is on I will do the daily non-grey space misions
after space if group finder has not popped I will turn on PVP que
then I work on class mission and will accept the group/PVP if I am able to get to a relatively safe spot.

Ashaari
11.13.2012 , 07:34 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by RickyChavez View Post
It's completely unimportant. You can level up however you want. Class missions are seperate.. If you do all the planet missions, you will hit about lvl 20 and you will be always overleveled for the planet you are on instead of being in the yellow/red on enemies and level up faster. You should use your planetary comms to buy mods and put them into social orange gear that is about 2k for a set. Pvp is the only thing that will hold you back. Your pvp rank can only be that of your level, so theres no point in running pvp past your level. You also can't pool commendations or use them to buy anything until you reach lvl 50. I think you cant even get expertise on any pvp bought items until lvl 32.
I think you mean ranked comms. You can use WZ comms to buy moddable weapons at lvl 14 and 34, and moddable armour at lvls 20 and 40. You can store up to 2000 WZ comms at any time from lvl10 upwards, and up to 3500 ranked comms from lvl 40 upwards.